Mounting an ext2fs filesystem on FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE

Mounting an ext2fs filesystem on FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE

Post by Oskar van Eede » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 23:16:46

Hi there,

I'd like to mount an ext2fs on my FreeBSD system. I recompiled my kernel
with option EXT2FS and everything seems fine. When i try to mount with
`mount -t ext2fs /ad1s2 /opt` i get the following message in
/var/log/messages:

Nov 30 00:07:44 vaneeden /kernel: ext2fs: #ad/0x3000a: wrong magic number 0
(expected 0xef53)

This seems strange to me, so i tried to run e2fsck to fix this problem. The
following was prompted:
----------------------

e2fsck 1.22, 22-Jun-2001 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/ad1s2

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
------------------------

So i ran `e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/ad1s2`, but i was getting the same message.
I've read every man/doc that has something to do with ext2fs etc. _and_ I
searched the whole internet for people having this very same problem, but
there where pratically none. Can please some help me out (and for you dutch

advance.

(by the way: ad1: 25965MB <Maxtor 92732U8> [56272/15/63] at ata0-slave
UDMA33)

Regards,

Oskar van Eeden

1. FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE to 4.3-STABLE

Hello,

I'm trying to update a box of mine. It was initially 3.4-R, but
i've managed to update it to 3.5-stable.
What is the best way to update against 4.x series ?
I've tried to cvsup to 4.0-R and 4.3-S, but had some errors
while making buildworld. The /usr/src/UPDATING wasn't very
helpful because of those errors in buildworld. Any hints ?

I could reinstall 4.3 from an ISO image, but there are real
users and i don't want to loose them. What's is the procedure
to recover users from a backup /etc dir ?
1. copy passwd, master.passwd, group over
2. start pwd_mkdb
3. edit login.conf and add passwd-format=des (3.x uses DES)
4. start cap_mkdb
Right or wrong ?

Thanks in advance, Radoy

--
Error FE6B - Nonexistent - This comment does not exist,
and therefore you cannot read it. Please go away quietly.

2. Hard Disk Light is always on - but I have 50% of the solution

3. Xamian on FreeBSD 4.3 || X 4.1.0 on FreeBSD 4.3

4. Automating the change of user passwords

5. can't mount ext2fs filesystem under FreeBSD-4.0

6. RedHat 6 wierdness with KDE

7. Increasing amount of open files in freeBSD 4.3-STABLE

8. How to check the bandwidth of the users?

9. Gnome under FreeBSD 4.3 Stable

10. Trouble installing jdk12_beta on FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE

11. 4.3 Install problem: Unable to mount /tmp/.doc, read-only filesystem

12. AIX 4.3 mounting Linux Redhat 6.1 filesystem

13. Mounting Ultrix 4.3 filesystem on RS6000: H E L P!!