How to install 4.7-stable?

Post by Boris H » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:38:45

The handbook says "download the latest snapshot at ftp:... and install as
usual". But these aren't ISO-images and there are symlinks. What to do with
these files? Can I burn them to CD and boot from CD-Rom?

Boris

How to install 4.7-stable?

Post by Philip Paep » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:26:05

> The handbook says "download the latest snapshot at ftp:... and install as
> usual". But these aren't ISO-images and there are symlinks. What to do with
> these files? Can I burn them to CD and boot from CD-Rom?

On ftp.freebsd.org in /pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.7/, there are
five ISO images and one checksum file...

Where are you looking?

 - Philip

--

  A budget is buying a dress two sizes too small because
  it was marked down.

How to install 4.7-stable?

Post by Simon Barne » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:05:32

Quote:> The handbook says "download the latest snapshot at ftp:... and install as
> usual". But these aren't ISO-images and there are symlinks. What to do with
> these files? Can I burn them to CD and boot from CD-Rom?

The ISOs for 4.7-STABLE are at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/4.7/

Those for 5.0-RELEASE can be found at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/5.0/

But don't fetch them from there, use a mirror site
http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/mirrors.html

Simon

How to install 4.7-stable?

Post by Ted Spradle » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 06:13:47

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 23:38:45 +0100

> The handbook says "download the latest snapshot at ftp:... and install
> as usual". But these aren't ISO-images and there are symlinks. What to
> do with these files? Can I burn them to CD and boot from CD-Rom?

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

For the impatient but well-clued:  GET the two floppy images, kern.flp
and mfsroot.flp and dd them onto two floppies.  Boot the kern floppy and
switch to the mfsroot when it says to.  When you see the big, friendly,
blue menu, pick "Express".  Follow the instructions.  When it comes time
to pick "media" pick FTP, and choose an FTP server from the list that
seems like it might be close to you, network-wise.  Voila!

The only trick is to use space bar rather than Enter to make selections
from the menus (actually in most cases either will work, but back in the
2.x days it was an issue  ;-)

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html