nis problems

Post by Michael Maxwel » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> But then when I log in it still uses the local passwd database.  I've
> copied the master.passwd file, run the makefile, set all the right flags
> (ypserv & other nis services are running as processes), I just can't
> seem to tie the NIS logon to the logon of the machine.  Am I forgetting
> to do something?

Your /etc/passwd *and* /etc/master.passwd or /etc/shadow or whatever
your client system is using should contain a "blank" entry... For
example, from /etc/passwd on my Solaris box (which is an NIS client on
my net):

+::::::

And from what you're saying above, it sounds like you may have a user
account of the same name on both your client AND your server machine,
which won't work.  When you login to an NIS-enabled system, it checks
the LOCAL passwd file FIRST, then checks NIS if it doesn't find
anything on the local machine.  Everything that comes before the
+:::::: entry is considered local-only.

TIP: Also, make sure your NIS server does NOT have any important
passwords/accounts in it.  "root" should NEVER be in your NIS-exported
passwd file.  Only put in those accounts that need it.

--
-
Michael Maxwell  <drwho at xnet.com> | "Four legs good, two legs bad."

1. NIS+ problems. NIS transition kit better ?

The subject says it all. I have enough of this buggy NIS+
code. This morning, it cleared my aliases table when I added
an entry ! Now I cannot modify anything. It says "perm. denied"
even if it worked yesterday.

#FLAME ON
I'm sure even the developpers are affraid to look into their
source files.
#FLAME OFF

Now did you get better experience with the NIS transition kit
for Solaris 2.x ? I have heard a new version shoule be out soon.

Is it more stable than NIS ?

---
 ---
 Charles Bueche
 [Unix, Network and Wind] - Surfer

 +41 65 24 33 74 - VOICE
 +41 65 24 21 43 - FAX

2. Switching a NIS+ master server?

3. NIS problem on multivendor nis configuration

4. Linux streams, LiS 2.13 on Linux 2.4.2-2

5. NIS problem with HP-NIS

6. Optimized compiler for PPC?

7. Bizarre NIS+ problem - nisdefaults thinks I am NIS+ master principal

8. remote ufsdump on aix 4.1.4.0

9. NIS problems => Apache problems

10. NIS problem solved with IY06887 but other problem

11. rsh problem and NIS problem

12. NIS Problems

13. NIS problem