What did I do to lose color in color terminal prgs?

What did I do to lose color in color terminal prgs?

Post by Polite » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 21:47:56

A fresh 3.5.1 install from yesterday, XFree86 3.3.6 working peachy,
decided I wanted color in my xterms.  Grabbed aterm and rxvt, they
worked great.

Then I must have diddled with something and now they don't do
color.  i.e. now programs like vim, lynx, etc display in color
terms as if they were in a regular old xterm w/no color
support.  I've tried removing and reinstalling them; no change.

Transparancy/tinting stuff still works, making funky prompts for
bash produces color, vim/lynx/etc do all their great colors when
run on regular text consoles.

Can anybody throw me a clue on wtf I might have done or what I could
do to undo it?

Post by Chris Costell » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 23:07:32

> A fresh 3.5.1 install from yesterday, XFree86 3.3.6 working peachy,
> decided I wanted color in my xterms.  Grabbed aterm and rxvt, they
> worked great.
> Then I must have diddled with something and now they don't do
> color.  i.e. now programs like vim, lynx, etc display in color
> terms as if they were in a regular old xterm w/no color
> support.  I've tried removing and reinstalling them; no change.

   Try setting your TERM environment variable to rxvt or xterm-color.