DELL Latitude XPi Laptop.. Can't install.

DELL Latitude XPi Laptop.. Can't install.

Post by Marat Fayzull » Mon, 18 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: Can anyone tell me why the freebsd (install) kernel won't boot on
: this Dell Laptop? It is dog slow in searching out the devices and then
: when it gets to identifying the hard disk it dies completely and the
: screen goes black.
: 1.something GB IDE disk
: Future Domain SCSI (docking station)
Which hard disk does it hang on? I would try turning off all the unnecessary
devices, BTW [boot with -c and then type "visual"]

Marat

DELL Latitude XPi Laptop.. Can't install.

Post by Marat Fayzull » Tue, 19 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: Yes I disabled all unnecessary devices and got rid of all conflicts.
: This is what gets displayed at hang time:
: ------------
: wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
: wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <IBM-DPRA-21215>
: wd0: 1160MB (2376864 sectors), 2358 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
: then it sits there for about 5 minutes and then the screen blacks out.
It may be doing the right thing by sitting there: this often happens
when testing for a second EIDE controler [wdc1]. Blacking out is
something new though: I haven't seen that. Try to boot from a floppy.
Disable everything, including the disk controllers. Then add drivers
one by one and see what happens.

Marat