Looking for UNIX alternative to M$ Exchange

Looking for UNIX alternative to M$ Exchange

Post by Gus Protopapa » Tue, 07 May 2002 23:35:08

Can anyone recommend a product that will integrate well with users that were
using Exchange?  They will want to keep their .pst files and such.  Not sure
what to do.  I'm up for suggestions on an alternate product.

Thanks,

Gus

Post by charo » Wed, 08 May 2002 16:30:30

> Can anyone recommend a product that will integrate well with users that
> were using Exchange?
> what to do.  I'm up for suggestions on an alternate product.

can you be a little more specific? - given that this is a FreeBSD newsgroup
then why not just use sendmail/uw-imap whatever from the ports collection?

--
Now and then an innocent person is sent to the legislature.

Post by Philip Paep » Wed, 08 May 2002 18:38:06

> Can anyone recommend a product that will integrate well with users
> that were using Exchange?  They will want to keep their .pst files and
> such.  Not sure what to do.  I'm up for suggestions on an alternate
> product.

I would install the Exchange IMAP module, and stick a Cyrus IMAP server
on a FreeBSD server.  When the users are off for the weekend of in the
middle of the night, replicate the IMAP stuff from the Exchange beast
into Cyrus.

That's the mail taken care of.

Agenda's and other stuff: assuming your clients will continue to use
wintendo: I don't know.  If your clients are going to be using an
operating system as well, there's hundreds of PIMs to choose from.

 - Philip

--

  A president of a democracy is a man who is always ready,
  willing, and able to lay down your life for his country.

Post by Steve Fetti » Thu, 09 May 2002 00:39:23

> Can anyone recommend a product that will integrate well with users that were
> using Exchange?  They will want to keep their .pst files and such.  Not sure
> what to do.  I'm up for suggestions on an alternate product.

> Thanks,

> Gus

I would follow what others have suggested.  Get qmail and some type of
imap server (I use courier-imap - also available in the ports) and move
the mail over the weekend.  BUT, from what it sounds like you are
saying, they are storing mail locally anyway (.pst files are usually due
to locally stored mail gotten through a POP transfer, whereas .ost files
are the "local stores" or copies of mail stored on the remote machine).
  If that is the case, then your *problem* is even easier to solve -
just get a new machine up and running (your choice of mta, pop/imap) and
make sure the same users are available on that machine and move the mail
over night like suggested in another reply.
There is no *nix Exchange clone that I know of that can handle the
extended Exchange features like calendar sharing, contact sharing, etc,
but there are very good replacements out there.

Steve

(Some more info on what you wanted to accomplish would help, though.)

Looking for UNIX alternative to M$ Exchange

Post by Steve Burto » Thu, 09 May 2002 05:35:57

On Tue, 07 May 2002 10:39:23 -0500, Steve Fettig

>> Can anyone recommend a product that will integrate well with users that were
>> using Exchange?  They will want to keep their .pst files and such.  Not sure
>> what to do.  I'm up for suggestions on an alternate product.

>> Thanks,

>> Gus

>I would follow what others have suggested.  Get qmail and some type of
>imap server (I use courier-imap - also available in the ports) and move
>the mail over the weekend.  BUT, from what it sounds like you are
>saying, they are storing mail locally anyway (.pst files are usually due
>to locally stored mail gotten through a POP transfer, whereas .ost files
>are the "local stores" or copies of mail stored on the remote machine).

you also get .pst files if you setup local 'personal folders'.

Quote:>  If that is the case, then your *problem* is even easier to solve -
>just get a new machine up and running (your choice of mta, pop/imap) and
>make sure the same users are available on that machine and move the mail
>over night like suggested in another reply.
>There is no *nix Exchange clone that I know of that can handle the
>extended Exchange features like calendar sharing, contact sharing, etc,
>but there are very good replacements out there.

>Steve

>(Some more info on what you wanted to accomplish would help, though.)

Looking for UNIX alternative to M$ Exchange

Post by Leon Bote » Thu, 16 May 2002 18:25:22

I would also like to implement a system with callendar sharing and shared
address books. Can you suggest some of those programs you mentioned.
Especially those that can run with Windows and BSD clients.

PS anyone know of a good business accounting system for BSD?

> > Can anyone recommend a product that will integrate well with users that
were
> > using Exchange?  They will want to keep their .pst files and such.  Not
sure
> > what to do.  I'm up for suggestions on an alternate product.

> > Thanks,

> > Gus

> I would follow what others have suggested.  Get qmail and some type of
> imap server (I use courier-imap - also available in the ports) and move
> the mail over the weekend.  BUT, from what it sounds like you are
> saying, they are storing mail locally anyway (.pst files are usually due
> to locally stored mail gotten through a POP transfer, whereas .ost files
> are the "local stores" or copies of mail stored on the remote machine).
>   If that is the case, then your *problem* is even easier to solve -
> just get a new machine up and running (your choice of mta, pop/imap) and
> make sure the same users are available on that machine and move the mail
> over night like suggested in another reply.
> There is no *nix Exchange clone that I know of that can handle the
> extended Exchange features like calendar sharing, contact sharing, etc,
> but there are very good replacements out there.

> Steve

> (Some more info on what you wanted to accomplish would help, though.)

Looking for UNIX alternative to M$ Exchange

Post by Philip J. Koeni » Mon, 27 May 2002 19:38:01

writes...

> I would also like to implement a system with callendar sharing and shared
> address books. Can you suggest some of those programs you mentioned.
> Especially those that can run with Windows and BSD clients.

> PS anyone know of a good business accounting system for BSD?

> > > Can anyone recommend a product that will integrate well with users that
> were
> > > using Exchange?  They will want to keep their .pst files and such.  Not
> sure
> > > what to do.  I'm up for suggestions on an alternate product.

> > > Thanks,

> > > Gus

> > I would follow what others have suggested.  Get qmail and some type of
> > imap server (I use courier-imap - also available in the ports) and move
> > the mail over the weekend.  BUT, from what it sounds like you are
> > saying, they are storing mail locally anyway (.pst files are usually due
> > to locally stored mail gotten through a POP transfer, whereas .ost files
> > are the "local stores" or copies of mail stored on the remote machine).
> >   If that is the case, then your *problem* is even easier to solve -
> > just get a new machine up and running (your choice of mta, pop/imap) and
> > make sure the same users are available on that machine and move the mail
> > over night like suggested in another reply.
> > There is no *nix Exchange clone that I know of that can handle the
> > extended Exchange features like calendar sharing, contact sharing, etc,
> > but there are very good replacements out there.

> > Steve

> > (Some more info on what you wanted to accomplish would help, though.)

HP "Openmail" is reputed to be nearly a drop-in replacement
for Exchange, but it runs under Unix or Linux.

However HP has sold it off to Samsung.  I'm told it is now called
"Samsung Contact", and the final version is not yet available.

--
Philip J. Koenig         The Electric Kahuna Organization        [anti-spammed]
----------------Computers & Communications for the New Millennium--------------

* Civilians killed in WTC attack: 2,830  Afghan civilians killed by US: 3,767 *
* Simple answers are for simple minds.  Try a new way of looking at things.   *

Looking for UNIX alternative to M$ Exchange

Post by John Shaft » Tue, 28 May 2002 10:16:44

"Philip J. Koenig" <> wrote

Quote:> --
> * Civilians killed in WTC attack: 2,830  Afghan civilians killed by US: 3,767 *

Philip, can you tell me where you got these stats?
I know the WTC stats, but have never seen a good
source of the Afghan stats (taliban, AQ, or civilian).
I have been lately hearing numbers like this tossed
around, but I wonder where people get them from.

Thanks.

Looking for UNIX alternative to M$ Exchange

Post by Philip J. Koeni » Tue, 28 May 2002 15:53:52

Quote:Shafto) writes...
> "Philip J. Koenig" <> wrote
> > --

> > * Civilians killed in WTC attack: 2,830  Afghan civilians killed by US: 3,767 *

> Philip, can you tell me where you got these stats?
> I know the WTC stats, but have never seen a good
> source of the Afghan stats (taliban, AQ, or civilian).
> I have been lately hearing numbers like this tossed
> around, but I wonder where people get them from.

> Thanks.

Take a look here:

Original survey:
http://www.cursor.org/stories/civilian_deaths.htm

Some news stories that reference it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1740000/1740...
http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,49475,00.html
http://www.counterpunch.org/blumcasualties.html

Other info along those lines:
(next is wrapped)
http://www.web.amnesty.org/ai.nsf/Index/ASA110222001?OpenDocument&of=...
5CAFGHANISTAN

http://www.coxnews.com/washingtonbureau/staff/coker/012702AFGHAN-CIVI...
http://www.swans.com/library/art7/gowans11.html

--
Philip J. Koenig         The Electric Kahuna Organization        [anti-spammed]
----------------Computers & Communications for the New Millennium--------------

* Civilians killed in WTC attack: 2,830  Afghan civilians killed by US: 3,767 *
* Simple answers are for simple minds.  Try a new way of looking at things.   *

Looking for UNIX alternative to M$ Exchange

Post by John Shaft » Tue, 28 May 2002 16:47:39

"Philip J. Koenig" <> wrote

>(John Shafto) writes...
> > "Philip J. Koenig" <> wrote
> > > --

> > > * Civilians killed in WTC attack: 2,830  Afghan civilians killed by US: 3,767 *

> > Philip, can you tell me where you got these stats?
> > I know the WTC stats, but have never seen a good
> > source of the Afghan stats (taliban, AQ, or civilian).
> > I have been lately hearing numbers like this tossed
> > around, but I wonder where people get them from.

> > Thanks.

> Take a look here:

> Original survey:
> http://www.cursor.org/stories/civilian_deaths.htm

Oh, the power of the [corporate] media......

Some prof with a cause "scours" foreign news reports
(aka Radical Leftist/Muslim propaganda), shuffles together
a few anecdotes and emotional exaggerations, and pops
off a neat (exact sounding) number.   What a load of crap.....
but the sad part is that so many "objective" journalists (aka
leftists/muslims),  particularly in other parts of the word, plaster
this "Independant American Study" (and various other euphemisms)
all over their media as "news".  And then the sheep like
you all fall right in line.

Dead civilians aren't a good thing, I certainly don't condone it,
but liars/evaders-of-truth-for-a-cause kill more people than
any stray bombs ever have.

http://www.stats.org/newsletters/0203/afghan.htm

Post by charo » Tue, 28 May 2002 18:13:20

> off a neat (exact sounding) number.   What a load of crap.....

is this any better?

        Civilians killed in WTC attack: 2,830  Afghan civilians killed by US: 1

or how bout this?

        http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/vietnam/trenches/mylai.html

--
Every program is a part of some other program, and rarely fits.

Looking for UNIX alternative to M$ Exchange

Post by Philip J. Koeni » Tue, 28 May 2002 21:03:31

Shafto) writes...
> "Philip J. Koenig" <> wrote

> >(John Shafto) writes...
> > > "Philip J. Koenig" <> wrote

> > > Philip, can you tell me where you got these stats?
> > > I know the WTC stats, but have never seen a good
> > > source of the Afghan stats (taliban, AQ, or civilian).
> > > I have been lately hearing numbers like this tossed
> > > around, but I wonder where people get them from.

> > > Thanks.

> > Take a look here:

> > Original survey:
> > http://www.cursor.org/stories/civilian_deaths.htm

> Oh, the power of the [corporate] media......

> Some prof with a cause "scours" foreign news reports
> (aka Radical Leftist/Muslim propaganda), shuffles together
> a few anecdotes and emotional exaggerations, and pops
> off a neat (exact sounding) number.   What a load of crap.....
> but the sad part is that so many "objective" journalists (aka
> leftists/muslims),  particularly in other parts of the word, plaster
> this "Independant American Study" (and various other euphemisms)
> all over their media as "news".  And then the sheep like
> you all fall right in line.

> Dead civilians aren't a good thing, I certainly don't condone it,
> but liars/evaders-of-truth-for-a-cause kill more people than
> any stray bombs ever have.

> http://www.stats.org/newsletters/0203/afghan.htm

I understand there are groups of people who deny the Nazi
Holocaust as well.

Guess that makes me a Muslim *and* a Jewish apologist.  Or
a contortionist, or..

--
Philip J. Koenig         The Electric Kahuna Organization        [anti-spammed]
----------------Computers & Communications for the New Millennium--------------

* Civilians killed in WTC attack: 2,830  Afghan civilians killed by US: 3,767 *
* Simple answers are for simple minds.  Try a new way of looking at things.   *

Looking for UNIX alternative to M$ Exchange

Post by Stev » Wed, 29 May 2002 09:01:07

If the  radical Muslims terrorists didn't kill US civilians then it would
be:  Civilians killed in WTC attack: 0  Afghan civilians killed by US: 0
Blame the radical Muslims terrorists and the governments who support them.

Quote:> http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,49475,00.html
> http://www.counterpunch.org/blumcasualties.html

> Other info along those lines:
> (next is wrapped)

http://www.web.amnesty.org/ai.nsf/Index/ASA110222001?OpenDocument&of=...
ES%
Quote:> 5CAFGHANISTAN

http://www.coxnews.com/washingtonbureau/staff/coker/012702AFGHAN-CIVI...
tml
Quote:> http://www.swans.com/library/art7/gowans11.html

*
> * Civilians killed in WTC attack: 2,830  Afghan civilians killed by US:
3,767 *
> * Simple answers are for simple minds.  Try a new way of looking at

things.   *

1. Alternative to MS Exchange Server??

Hello there,

Which program do I need to use on Linux RH 7.2 instead of buying expensive
Microsoft Exchange server and licences?????
I need to find some good alternative for Linux RH 7.2 and administer about
100 users with email server (probably RH 7.2 instead of buying MS Exchange)
and they need to access their accounts with any Microsoft version (Outlook,
outlook exp, eudora, etc...)

Any idea??

Thanks in advance,

Dino

2. ext2fs problems: cannot execute files

3. Any suggestions regarding an Exchange 5.5 alternative?

4. fdisk'ing partitions

5. is there an MS Exchange alternative for Linux?

6. message for "vista@bml4380.cpg.cdc.com"

7. Exchange alternative??

8. Help me! Where can I find an author for Linux?

9. Linux alternative to Exchange found to be 1/2 the cost!

10. Exchange Server Public Folder Alternative.

11. alternative to exchange caldender service for linux

12. alternative to Exchange w/ calendar, etc

13. Alternatives to MS Exchange?