modem problem

Post by phil » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 04:28:49

i've got  freeBSD 4.7 installed on a rather stripped down AMD-1000
using an external serial modem
although the installation is working ok on a lan...
if my main machine is not on-line i cannot
use a dial-up connection
although the  machine can dial-up ok
as soon as i connect, the machine starts to lock up
and i have to control-alt-backspace
back to the command prompt

the machine mutiboots ECS, NT, BEOS and Linux
and the modem works fine
but i cannot figure out why i'm getting this problem with BSD

just for the heck of it
i also installed freeBSD5 but have the identical problem
(btw: freeBSD5 has a lot of other problems, so i'm going to just stay
with 4.7)

as a total BSD newbie, how would i go about
looking for conflicts etc?

thanks

1. Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)

I've been around Linux off and on since kernel .99.15o, so believe me
when I say that this is _not_ a WinModem problem. :)

I just installed Debian "potato".  Clean install, and few problems,
but I can not make this box talk to my modems.   When I start minicom,
everything I type gets echoed back, but the modem doesn't respond
(other than to echo back what I type).  The echoing is odd-- it
only echoes the carriage return when I hit <enter>; I can manually
type a new line, but that doesn't help.   The modem doesn't act
on anything I type; e.g. typing "atdt33333" doesn't make any noise
(and should; at least the external modem I'm _sure_ is set to
make noise, since it does when hooked up to another machine, and that's
the factory default).

Just so you know I'm not crazy:
        It's not an interrupt problem.  The same thing happens with an
        external and an internal problem, and with seterial /dev/ttyS2 irq 0
        Moreover, I'm setting the interrupt by jumper.

        It's not a setserial problem.  If minicom isn't talking to the
        right port, then nothing gets echoed back.  Only when it's talking
        to the right port do I even see the echoing.

        I did get the external modem to talk back, by telling  it to ignore
        DTR.  However, that caused other problems (most notably, my ppp
        connection getting garbage that caused it to hang up; my ISP is
        a bit draconian :)

        statserial shows DTR always 1, DCD always 0.  I can give more info
        if necessary.

        The modems are a Gateway Telepath ISA (w/ jumpers :) and a USR 28.8
        Fax/Modem.  The box is a gateway P5-120 that I got for $25.

Any ideas?  I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks in advance,

                Me
--
Disclaimer:  Anything I said, writ, or thought in my life should not
necessarily be held or thought to imply any view, opinion, or idea

2. ATI Integra Card (HELP HELP HELP!!!)

3. Modem problem - External US Robotics Voice modem

4. Is it fast?

5. modem problem conect to provider (wisecom modem)

6. problem with 'send-uucp' in inn-2.1 running under SunOS 5.6 (fwd)

7. A modem problem about Intel 536ep Modem

8. Intermediate Linux books?

9. modem problem with statserial and modem tool.

10. Strange modem problem -- my modem no longer works in Linux

11. Swapping Modem in Linux : DIVA ISDN Modem problem

12. kppp/modem problem (modem busy)

13. Weird Modem problems/modem related Hangs