CANON s500 usb printing on FreeBSD

Post by Patricio Stegman » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 23:05:41

Hello,
I'm having some trouble putting to work an USB Canon Printer,
my kernel is enabled and it is being well detected as You may see:

su-2.05b# dmesg | grep lp
Preloaded elf module "ulpt.ko" at 0xc05602cc.
ulpt0: Canon S500, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2, iclass 7/1
su-2.05b#

The device also exists:

su-2.05b# ll *lp*
crw-------  1 root  wheel   16, 128 Oct  1 18:55 lpctl0
crw-------  1 root  wheel   16, 129 Oct  1 18:55 lpctl1
crw-------  1 root  wheel   16, 130 Oct  1 18:55 lpctl2
crw-------  1 root  wheel   16,   0 Oct  5 04:36 lpt0
crw-------  1 root  wheel   16,   1 Oct  5 04:36 lpt1
crw-------  1 root  wheel   16,   2 Oct  1 18:55 lpt2
crw-------  1 root  wheel  113,   0 Oct  5 15:01 ulpt0
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     16000 Oct  5 01:23 ulpt1
crw-------  1 root  wheel  113,  64 Oct  5 03:59 unlpt0
su-2.05b#

the lpd is also working:

su-2.05b# ps aux | grep lp
root     100  0.0  0.2   972  704  ??  Is    2:50PM   0:00.01 /usr/sbin/lpd
su-2.05b#

I also added it in printcap:

su-2.05b# cat /etc/printcap
lp|canonS500|local line printer:\
         :sh:\
         :lp=/dev/ulpt0
         :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd
         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
su-2.05b#

I installed these port:

su-2.05b# pkg_info | grep print
a2ps-a4-4.13_1      Formats an ascii file for printing on a postscript
printer
acroread-4.05       View, distribute and print PDF documents
acroread-5.06_1     View, distribute and print PDF documents
apsfilter-7.2.2     Magic print filter with file type recognition, print
previe
faces-1.6.1_1       Visual mail, user and print face server
mp-letter-3.0.1     A PostScript printing util for ASCII files, email,
USENET n
p5-Data-ShowTable-3.3 Perl5 module to pretty-print arrays of data
su-2.05b#

So it should work ! When I do these:

su-2.05b# lptest > /dev/ulpt0
su-2.05b#

I can see the printer LED blink one time, but nothing comes out from it;
I also tried these :

su-2.05b# cat variable_env_smartcanal.txt > /dev/ulpt0
su-2.05b#

and it blinks again but nothing's out ...

I read that under GIMP I could try to printout, so I did it, tried to
print some JPG file selecting an BJ8200 printer (I was told it is the
most compatible one:

su-2.05b# gimp &
[1] 450
su-2.05b# lpr:  : copy file is too large

It starts printing but stops after printing a quarter of the picture,
with colour and all ... then the printer stays there blinking and
nothing gets done ...

So I would like to know if someone coul make thoses printers work under
freebsd and please help me with these or tell me how should I diagnose
what is getting raw ...

Thank you and have a nice day !

--
Patricio Stegmann

FreeBSD kpoman.dyndns.org 4.7-RC FreeBSD 4.7-RC #0

Post by Warren Bloc » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 23:19:30

> su-2.05b# lptest > /dev/ulpt0
> su-2.05b#

> I can see the printer LED blink one time, but nothing comes out from it;

It may be a Winprinter, which can't print plain text.  These printers
expect the host computer to do all the formatting; AFAIK they just print
bitmaps.

But this does verify that you have everything set up to get the file to
the printer.

Quote:> su-2.05b# lpr:  : copy file is too large

You said this is your printcap:

Quote:> lp|canonS500|local line printer:\
>          :sh:\
>          :lp=/dev/ulpt0
>          :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd
>          :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

You need to add a "mx#0" line in there, so it'd be like this:

          :sh:\
          :mx#0:\
          :lp=/dev/ulpt0
          :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd
          :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Quote:> It starts printing but stops after printing a quarter of the picture,
> with colour and all ... then the printer stays there blinking and
> nothing gets done ...

Again, this verifies that the file is getting to the printer.

CANON s500 usb printing on FreeBSD

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 00:34:05

On Sat, 05 Oct 2002 16:05:41 +0200

PS> apsfilter-7.2.2     Magic print filter with file type recognition,
PS> print previe

        Try running /usr/local/share/apsfilter/SETUP, you will find
support for the S400, S450 and S800 under gimp-print/stp, since the
Gimp works I expect one of these will too.

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
                                            |   http://www.sohara.org/

CANON s500 usb printing on FreeBSD

Post by Simon Barne » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 21:27:56

Hi Patricio,

Quote:> I also added it in printcap:

> su-2.05b# cat /etc/printcap
> lp|canonS500|local line printer:\
>          :sh:\
>          :lp=/dev/ulpt0
>          :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd
>          :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
> su-2.05b#

Have annother look at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/printing.html.

I think your printer does not understand plain text (which he gets when you cat
something out the parallel port), so you will have to provide a filter for your
printer device. This filter will translate the input format (plain text,
PostScript, ...) into the languague of your printer. You can specify such a
filter by adding a ":if=/path/to/your/filter/script" line into your
/etc/printcap (when I'm writing this I notice that you have forgotten the
trailing backslashes, so I will give you a corrected version):

lp|canonS500|local line printer:\
         :sh:\
         :lp=/dev/ulpt0\
         :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd\
                 :if=/path/to/your/filter/script\
         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

An example for the filter script is given in the printing section of the
handbook, but you will have to adopt it a bit to choose the right driver for
your printer (I think the ghost script's gimp print driver is right):

Use -sDEVICE=stp and -sModel=<MODEL spec for your printer) in gs's invocation
line. To find out, which is the right model spec for your printer, have a look
at http://www.linuxprinting.org, and have your LDP printer script generated. You
do not have to use the script but the model spec. for your Canon S500 should be
printed in this file.

HTH;
 Simon

Post by Warren Bloc » Tue, 08 Oct 2002 02:41:49

> /etc/printcap (when I'm writing this I notice that you have forgotten the
> trailing backslashes, so I will give you a corrected version):

> lp|canonS500|local line printer:\
>   :sh:\
>   :lp=/dev/ulpt0\
>   :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd\
>   :if=/path/to/your/filter/script\
>   :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Don't forget that the entries in printcap are *separated* by colons. The
backslash is a line continuation character.  So you should have this:

   :sh:\
   :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
   :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
   :if=/path/to/your/filter/script:\
   :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

CANON s500 usb printing on FreeBSD

Post by Simon Barne » Tue, 08 Oct 2002 04:36:13

Hi Warren,

Quote:> Don't forget that the entries in printcap are *separated* by colons. The
> backslash is a line continuation character.  So you should have this:

>    :sh:\
>    :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
>    :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
>    :if=/path/to/your/filter/script:\
>    :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Thanks for your correction of my correction :-)

Simon

Post by Patricio Stegman » Tue, 08 Oct 2002 06:03:14

> On Sat, 05 Oct 2002 16:05:41 +0200

> PS> apsfilter-7.2.2     Magic print filter with file type recognition,
> PS> print previe

>    Try running /usr/local/share/apsfilter/SETUP, you will find
> support for the S400, S450 and S800 under gimp-print/stp, since the
> Gimp works I expect one of these will too.

Thanks for your help !
I tried to do that but am getting this message:

Enter number: 22

Error: Your gs version doesn't have driver "stp" compiled in...
Select another driver or build a new gs version with complete or customized
driver support.

seems like I missed stp driver selection when installing the port (which
port ? :| must be ghostscript-gnu ? )
Well, when I do this :

su-2.05b# gs -h  | grep stp
su-2.05b#

I get nothing, I don't really know a clean way to add stp driver without
having to remove all the packages and rebuild them, maybe you could help
me with a nice trick :-)

Regards,

--

Post by Patricio Stegman » Tue, 08 Oct 2002 06:09:16

> You need to add a "mx#0" line in there, so it'd be like this:

>           :sh:\
>           :mx#0:\
>           :lp=/dev/ulpt0
>           :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd
>           :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Thank you ! That worked and I got the whole jpg printed in colors !
Anyway seems like the printer isn't printing at it's full quality so I'm
trying to add some filtering through the stp driver ... I will tell you
if that works .

Regards,

--
Patricio Stegmann

FreeBSD kpoman.dyndns.org 4.7-RC FreeBSD 4.7-RC #0

CANON s500 usb printing on FreeBSD

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Tue, 08 Oct 2002 15:31:26

On Sun, 06 Oct 2002 23:03:14 +0200

PS> I get nothing, I don't really know a clean way to add stp driver
PS> without having to remove all the packages and rebuild them, maybe you
PS> could help me with a nice trick :-)

        Sure, just rebuild the ghostscript port with the stp drivers
and then deinstall and reinstall viz:

        cd /usr/ports/print/ghosctscript-gnu
        make
        make deinstall
        make reinstall

--

Post by Patricio Stegman » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 07:25:07

> On Sun, 06 Oct 2002 23:03:14 +0200

> PS> I get nothing, I don't really know a clean way to add stp driver
> PS> without having to remove all the packages and rebuild them, maybe you
> PS> could help me with a nice trick :-)

>    Sure, just rebuild the ghostscript port with the stp drivers
> and then deinstall and reinstall viz:

>    cd /usr/ports/print/ghosctscript-gnu
>    make
>    make deinstall
>    make reinstall

Well I tried to do that, but i dont get the interactive selection of the
drivers that I've got the first time I installed ... I did

make
make deinstall
make reinstall

but nothing is asked ... Do you know how I could get the driver
selection again ?
Thank you,

Regards,

--

Post by Patricio Stegman » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 07:39:35

> Well I tried to do that, but i dont get the interactive selection of the
> drivers that I've got the first time I installed ... I did

> make
> make deinstall
> make reinstall

> but nothing is asked ... Do you know how I could get the driver
> selection again ?
> Thank you,

> Regards,

I've just read the Makefile and found this:

# Gimp-Print - very high quality driver for Epson, HPs,...
# http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/
#
# NOTE:
# Support of stp driver interface has already been discontinued, and using
# ijs driver with ijsgimpprint (part of print/gimp-print port) is highly
# recommended.
#
# For that reason, integlation of stp driver is disabled by default.
GPRINT=         gimp-print
GPRINT_VERS=    4.2.1
GPRINT_NAME=    ${GPRINT}-${GPRINT_VERS}
GPRINT_SRCS=    ${GPRINT_NAME}.tar.gz

How could this handle with aspfilter / SETUP file ? I tried these two
choices:

     10) official HP DeskJet drivers (hpijs 0.97)
     11) official HP DeskJet drivers (hpijs 1.0)

but there isn't any canon in there, only HP printers ...

Thanks,

Regards,

--
Patricio Stegmann

FreeBSD kpoman.dyndns.org 4.7-RC FreeBSD 4.7-RC #0

CANON s500 usb printing on FreeBSD

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 15:12:26

On Tue, 08 Oct 2002 00:39:35 +0200

PS> > make
PS> > make deinstall
PS> > make reinstall
PS> >
PS> > but nothing is asked ... Do you know how I could get the driver
PS> > selection again ?

        Hmm, I think you need to do the make deinstall first.

PS> # Gimp-Print - very high quality driver for Epson, HPs,...
PS> # http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/
PS> #
PS> # NOTE:
PS> # Support of stp driver interface has already been discontinued, and
PS> # using ijs driver with ijsgimpprint (part of print/gimp-print port)
PS> # is highly recommended.

        Ah OK - the implication there is that if you install the
print/gimp-print port you may pick up better support than the stp driver.
News to me (things happen when you don't watch), try it.

PS> but there isn't any canon in there, only HP printers ...

        At this point I'd install the port and read the documentation
from it. Good luck, and call back if/when you get stuck :)

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
You lose and Bill collects.                 |  licenses available - see:
                                            |   http://www.sohara.org/

1. Two USB printers on a USB print server

I have two USB printers, connected to the PC through a USB hub. I want
to make the printers available to the other computers in the LAN, so I
thought about buying a USB print server, and still use the hub. But I am
concerned about the ability of a single-USB-port print server to deal
with more than one USB device through the USB hub. I have the suspicion
that not all the print servers handle this correctly.

Do you know anything about which print servers are able to do what (if
doable)?

Thanks in advance

_x.

--
Only one "o" in my address.

2. Access ZIP drive attached to Linux PC from windows?

3. Failed to fetch large files from Canon A70 via USB: 'Corrupted data'

4. JTAG Experience

5. Canon scanner( thro' USB )

6. LILO configuration

7. RedHat v8, Canon USB scanner and Xsane..

8. Any good Fax send/receive programs for Linux & X

9. USB scanner (Canon) help please

10. RedHat v8, Canon USB scanner and Xsane..

11. Canon BJC-2110 (USB) - RH 7.2

12. Using a Canon LIDE30 USB scanner in RH9

13. Canon S200 Camera with USB