Newbie Q: How to set NIC card on HP Kayak XU?

Newbie Q: How to set NIC card on HP Kayak XU?

Post by richard » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 01:14:19

 A new user question... Have picked up used HP Kayak XU... putting freeBSD
onto from CD (4.2)  ... cannot get Nic card to pass traffic to little (3
machine) intranet...
suggestions from Kayak users????

others???

Newbie Q: How to set NIC card on HP Kayak XU?

Post by John Nielse » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 06:03:47

No experience with this machine myself, but I think you will want to use
the lnc (4) driver with your machine's onboard nic.  That said, a little
more information from you would be helpful.  Is the nic detected by your
kernel?  (You can find out by parsing the output of dmesg and/or by
running "ifconfig -a")  If yes, what's the problem?  Is the nic being
configured?  (Is there an ifconfig_lnc line in /etc/rc.conf?)

If no, the kernel is probably looking for the card at the wrong I/O
address or IRQ.  To fix this, you need to first know what the correct
values are, and then either recompile your kernel with the correct
values (recommended) or create a /boot/kernel.conf file that sets the
values every time you boot.  You may want to use "boot -c" (after
pressing the spacebar before the "booting kernel" countdown finishes) to
experiment with different values.

JN

Quote:> A new user question... Have picked up used HP Kayak XU... putting
freeBSD
> onto from CD (4.2)  ... cannot get Nic card to pass traffic to little
(3
> machine) intranet...
> suggestions from Kayak users????

> others???

Newbie Q: How to set NIC card on HP Kayak XU?

Post by richard » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 02:23:02

John, thanks for the ideas...

the additional info I can provide is:
The Kayak uses a Nic card based upon AMD PCnet family of chips...
It seems that freeBSD recognizes this since ifconfig shows a pcn0 ....

I have updated the system (low level format and reinstall using CD) with BSD
4.4
after finding a post from GeoCrawler dated 5/28/01 from someone using BSD
4.3 and they noted the same problem I am getting... but there was no answer
posted to that question...

The problem seems to be related to trying to use this pcn0 on a 10mbit net/
rather than 100mbit.... although the same setup of hardware ...
machines,wire, hub works if using MS-NT...

It seems that there may be a problem // failure on my part // to understand
how to configure the pcn driver to work in a 10mbit workgroup...

Someone on another geocrawler post 2/28/01 using 4.2 thought that pcn was
forcing a HW-loopback .... but no solution posted to this either...

Any help out there would be many TUs...

Newbie Q: How to set NIC card on HP Kayak XU?

Post by John Nielse » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:26:04

Quote:> John, thanks for the ideas...

> the additional info I can provide is:
> The Kayak uses a Nic card based upon AMD PCnet family of chips...
> It seems that freeBSD recognizes this since ifconfig shows a pcn0 ....

> I have updated the system (low level format and reinstall using CD) with
BSD
> 4.4
> after finding a post from GeoCrawler dated 5/28/01 from someone using BSD
> 4.3 and they noted the same problem I am getting... but there was no
answer
> posted to that question...

> The problem seems to be related to trying to use this pcn0 on a 10mbit
net/
> rather than 100mbit.... although the same setup of hardware ...
> machines,wire, hub works if using MS-NT...

> It seems that there may be a problem // failure on my part // to
understand
> how to configure the pcn driver to work in a 10mbit workgroup...

> Someone on another geocrawler post 2/28/01 using 4.2 thought that pcn was
> forcing a HW-loopback .... but no solution posted to this either...

> Any help out there would be many TUs...

Have a look at the pcn (4) and ifconfig (8) man pages for info on
configuring the card's media type.  If you're using a dumb 10mbit hub then
something along the lines of "ifconfig pcn0 media 10baseT/UTP" should
suffice.  (You can also add the "media 10baseT/UTP" part to an existing
ifconfig_pcn0 line in /etc/rc.conf.)

More details (such as what commands you're running and with what result)
might still be helpful.

JN