Any Console Mail Client with POP3 and SMTP-auth supported??

Any Console Mail Client with POP3 and SMTP-auth supported??

Post by Leslie Jackso » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 16:32:32

Hi, all.

I just wonder if there's a decent Mail Client under console(No X-window)
environment.  I know two of the most notable MUAs are mutt and pine. But
the former requires a MTA on localhost while the latter supports POP
only in on-line mode.  I want a qualified MUA with both POP(off-line
mode) and SMTP-auth(no MTA needed on localhost) enabled.

Anybody here can give me some points? TIA.

--
Leslie Jackson

Post by Lowell Gilber » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 23:43:16

> I just wonder if there's a decent Mail Client under console(No X-window)
> environment.  I know two of the most notable MUAs are mutt and pine. But
> the former requires a MTA on localhost while the latter supports POP
> only in on-line mode.  I want a qualified MUA with both POP(off-line
> mode) and SMTP-auth(no MTA needed on localhost) enabled.

> Anybody here can give me some points? TIA.

It's probably easier to use fetchmail and any mail client you want.
You do need to have an MTA, but then, you already *have* sendmail.

If you really need to have the capabilities in the mail client, I
know it can be done by mine, which is Gnus inside of Emacs, but
that's not worth learning emacs for if you don't do so already.

Post by Leslie Jackso » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 23:59:34

>> I just wonder if there's a decent Mail Client under console(No X-window)
>> environment.  I know two of the most notable MUAs are mutt and pine. But
>> the former requires a MTA on localhost while the latter supports POP
>> only in on-line mode.  I want a qualified MUA with both POP(off-line
>> mode) and SMTP-auth(no MTA needed on localhost) enabled.

>> Anybody here can give me some points? TIA.

> It's probably easier to use fetchmail and any mail client you want.
> You do need to have an MTA, but then, you already *have* sendmail.

The problem is that i'm using modem to be connected to the NET.  I have
no static IP or qualified Domain Name.

Quote:

> If you really need to have the capabilities in the mail client, I
> know it can be done by mine, which is Gnus inside of Emacs, but
> that's not worth learning emacs for if you don't do so already.

Yeah, i don't want to learn a new Editor just because i have to use its
inside MUA.

Any other choices?

--
Leslie Jackson

Post by ta.. » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 00:14:11

:> I just wonder if there's a decent Mail Client under console(No X-window)
:> environment.  I know two of the most notable MUAs are mutt and pine. But
:> the former requires a MTA on localhost while the latter supports POP
:> only in on-line mode.  I want a qualified MUA with both POP(off-line
:> mode) and SMTP-auth(no MTA needed on localhost) enabled.
:>
:> Anybody here can give me some points? TIA.

: It's probably easier to use fetchmail and any mail client you want.
: You do need to have an MTA, but then, you already *have* sendmail.

Yes, but fetchmail delivers to sendmail on the local machine, or am i
in error? I know it can retreive in a batch file, but this is basically
unusable. If the problem is only to suppress listening on the smtp port,
then it is easy to achieve with postfix. Only comment in master.cf
#smtp     inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
Also one can configure fetchmail to deliver to a special instance of
sendmail, that is without sendmail running.
fetchmail -m "/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -f \%F \%T"

--

Michel TALON

Post by Lowell Gilber » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 00:24:06

> > It's probably easier to use fetchmail and any mail client you want.
> > You do need to have an MTA, but then, you already *have* sendmail.

> The problem is that i'm using modem to be connected to the NET.  I have
> no static IP or qualified Domain Name.

That shouldn't matter.  Fetchmail doesn't need a sendmail daemon; it
can invoke sendmail itself.

Post by Joost Kremer » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 00:29:59

>>> I just wonder if there's a decent Mail Client under console(No X-window)
>>> environment.  I know two of the most notable MUAs are mutt and pine. But
>>> the former requires a MTA on localhost while the latter supports POP
>>> only in on-line mode.  I want a qualified MUA with both POP(off-line
>>> mode) and SMTP-auth(no MTA needed on localhost) enabled.

>>> Anybody here can give me some points? TIA.

>> It's probably easier to use fetchmail and any mail client you want.
>> You do need to have an MTA, but then, you already *have* sendmail.

> The problem is that i'm using modem to be connected to the NET.  I have
> no static IP or qualified Domain Name.

if that is your only reason for not using an MTA on your machine, then
it shouldn't really be a problem. you can configure the MTA to use a
smart host, i.e. one smtp host to which it relays all outgoing
e-mail. this would normally be the smtp server of your ISP. you can
(probably) configure sendmail (or any other MTA) not to process the
queue on regular intervals, and then set up your ppp connection to
automatically send all mail in the queue when you connect. (in linux,
there is a script ppp-go (i think) that is run when a ppp connection
is made. i'm not sure how it works exactly under FBSD, but it is most
likely something similar. you can simply add a command like `runq' to
it, which will process the mail in the queue.)

--
Joost Kremers           http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~jkremers
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root       11 nov  2 21:37 vi -> emacsclient*

Any Console Mail Client with POP3 and SMTP-auth supported??

Post by ta.. » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 00:25:12

:>
:>> I just wonder if there's a decent Mail Client under console(No X-window)
:>> environment.  I know two of the most notable MUAs are mutt and pine. But
:>> the former requires a MTA on localhost while the latter supports POP
:>> only in on-line mode.  I want a qualified MUA with both POP(off-line
:>> mode) and SMTP-auth(no MTA needed on localhost) enabled.
:>>
:>> Anybody here can give me some points? TIA.
:>
:> It's probably easier to use fetchmail and any mail client you want.
:> You do need to have an MTA, but then, you already *have* sendmail.

: The problem is that i'm using modem to be connected to the NET.  I have
: no static IP or qualified Domain Name.

What's the problem? Sendmail or Postfix can cope with that very easily.
They can send all mail to your provider automatically.
For postfix you need
relayhost = [parthe.lpthe.jussieu.fr]:25
for example.
You can define a transport table to transport through uucp and so on.

: --
: Leslie Jackson

--

Michel TALON

Post by Dave Peacoc » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 00:26:35

> I just wonder if there's a decent Mail Client under console(No X-window)
> environment.  I know two of the most notable MUAs are mutt and pine. But
> the former requires a MTA on localhost while the latter supports POP
> only in on-line mode.  I want a qualified MUA with both POP(off-line
> mode) and SMTP-auth(no MTA needed on localhost) enabled.

Hi

Unless I have read your request wrong, or I am grossly
mis-informed, mutt has full functionality for POP, (offline)
and even IMAP (obviously, online) and mutt does not
always need a MTA on the local host.

Cheers
/Dave

Post by Richard Cale » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 00:52:00

>> It's probably easier to use fetchmail and any mail client you want.
>> You do need to have an MTA, but then, you already *have* sendmail.

lj> The problem is that i'm using modem to be connected to the NET.  I have
lj> no static IP or qualified Domain Name.

Fetchmail acts like a pop3 (or whatever) mail client so far as the
outside world is concerned, then delivers the mail locally using
sendmail. So it is ideal for the situation you describe. If you set it
up to run every N minutes while you are conected it feels as though
you are getting mail delivered the way you would with a fixed
connection.

--

                                                 |<

Any Console Mail Client with POP3 and SMTP-auth supported??

Post by James B Crigle » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 05:05:00

MUA:  nmh 1.0.4.  It can (and I do) be configured to send to your
      ISP's MTA.  Program/specialize with your favorite shell.

To get mail:  fetchmail (as others have recommended).

--
Jim Crigler

Post by Will Yardle » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 10:17:20

> I just wonder if there's a decent Mail Client under console(No X-window)
> environment.  I know two of the most notable MUAs are mutt and pine. But
> the former requires a MTA on localhost while the latter supports POP
> only in on-line mode.  I want a qualified MUA with both POP(off-line
> mode) and SMTP-auth(no MTA needed on localhost) enabled.

Getmail and fetchmail can both work with no local MTA, so Pine should
work if you do that.

I'm not sure if ssmtp works with SMTP-auth, but I imagine there may be
some small program that can work with auth-smtp (for mutt) - check the
mutt-users archive.

Alternatively, you should be able to do this with Postfix; just
configure it as a null-client. See the Postfix FAQ for some sample
configurations that may help. Doing it with Sendmail shouldn't be too
hard either...

--
No copies, please.
To reply privately, simply reply; don't remove anything.