problem with sendmail using users name rather than email name

problem with sendmail using users name rather than email name

Post by Mark Worsdal » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

We have incoming mail being aliased correctly to users, but when that
user with pine reply's or composes a new email, the users ID is used as
the prefix for our domain rather than thier email name. Any idea where I
should look to rectify this?

userID  webmon
email   webMonitor

/etc/aliases

webMonitor:     webmon

So this is fine for incoming mail but outgoing email will use

webmon when it should use webMonitor.

Mark Worsdall - Oh no, I've run out of underpants :(

TCP/IP gatewaying http://www.hinwick.demon.co.uk/computerDept/

Post by Staffan Ulfber » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> We have incoming mail being aliased correctly to users, but when that
> user with pine reply's or composes a new email, the users ID is used as
> the prefix for our domain rather than thier email name. Any idea where I
> should look to rectify this?

> userID  webmon
> email   webMonitor

> /etc/aliases

> webMonitor:     webmon

> So this is fine for incoming mail but outgoing email will use

> webmon when it should use webMonitor.

If you run pine locally on the same machine as the mail server, it
probably, as most e-mail clients, use the login name as the default
sender address, since this how 99.9% of systems out are traditionally
set up.  Most programs, however (well, I can't think of any
exceptions, except maybe "mail" :) ), allow the user to configure his
e-mail address somewhere.  Probably Pine does, too.  So, you should
look for it in the mail client documentation, or just look through
Pine's configuration options.

Staffan

problem with sendmail using users name rather than email name

Post by James Saint-Ros » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Here is some stuff on changing your a users from address.
I believe that sendmail
requires you to configure both the alias and generics to
enable aliasing both ways.

Hope this helps, James.

cd /usr/src/etc/sendmail
add
  FEATURE(genericstable, `hash /etc/mail/genericstable')dnl
  GENERICS_DOMAIN(`yourmachine.isp.com')dnl
  FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
to freebsd.mc

make

mv freebsd.cf /etc/sendmail.cf

create the /etc/mail/genericstable file.  Here's an example

makemap hash /etc/mail/genericstable </etc/mail/genericstable

The database file will be named genericstable.db

Notes:
The genericstable feature provides the database format and location of the
genericstable file.
GENERICS_DOMAIN is the domain that the genericstable is allowed to work with
(local isn't assumed :-P)
masquerade_envelope masquerades the envelope.  Otherwise the original will
still be listed on the envelope's from.
mv freebsd.cf /etc/sendmail.cf will copy over your original sendmail.cf

Post by Dan Delane » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Most programs, however...allow the user to configure his
> e-mail address somewhere.  Probably Pine does, too.  So, you should
> look for it in the mail client documentation, or just look through
> Pine's configuration options.

You can do this is you are using version 4 of Pine (3.96 won't do it)
but it's not as easy as it is in something like Netscape or Outlook.
You have to specify a new From: header in Setup->Config

You'll see a line that looks like this:

customized-hdrs          = <No Value Set>

Go to that line, hit 'C' for Change, and type the following:

Obviously, replace "MyDomain" with your actual domain. You have to include
the "From: " -- what you're actually doing is replacing the default From:
mail header with a custom one.

 --Dan

 University Publications   -   Computer Coordinator   -   852-0716
                 I doubt, therefore I might be.

1. samba nmbd allow ping of full host name rather than just NetBios name?

Is there a way that I can get nmbd to allow users to resolve my ip
address from my host name rather than just for my NetBios name?

I use DHCP, and the only way to resolve my ip address from a remote
workstation is via my netbios name...

Example:
myname.corp.vha.com
v.s.
myname

--
-MM
                                               /"\

2. 2 questions about Slackware 1.2

3. How to start named using user named (not root) and SRC?

4. DNS - TTL problem with Solaris 9

5. How to send Email using sendmail and change the domain name

6. Executing a transferred perl script without setting permissions...

7. problem sending email to a user login name starting with a capital letter

8. Sound Blaster AWE32 and CD-ROM

9. problem sending email to a user login name starting with a ca

10. Changed host name - why does old name linger in sendmail?

11. How do I get sendmail to use my real name in stead of my login name

12. Host name, primary name, domain name...?

13. Which named ?...Solaris 2.5 in.named or Berkley named ?