NFS or CVSup Server

Post by Gorill » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 04:40:22

Good day all,

    I have quite a few machines on my home LAN that I want to install
FreeBSD onto.  I have a couple of issues that I am trying to address before
I start the mass install.  The machines are all of the older variety.  None
of the machines will boot from cd-rom or will they allow the floppy to start
the cd-rom on the few machines that have them.

    What I am wanting to do is to find out which one of the next options
will help me move forward.  I can setup a dedicated machine to serve as
either a NFS server, or should I setup a local CVSup server/FreeBSD Mirror.
I have read that there are pros/cons for doing both so I am looking for a
couple of opinions from those with more experience.

Thanks for any and all advise.

--
Christopher

NFS or CVSup Server

Post by Lowell Gilber » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:57:40

>     What I am wanting to do is to find out which one of the next options
> will help me move forward.  I can setup a dedicated machine to serve as
> either a NFS server, or should I setup a local CVSup server/FreeBSD Mirror.
> I have read that there are pros/cons for doing both so I am looking for a
> couple of opinions from those with more experience.

The NFS server is easier, doesn't require you to keep the same sources
on every machine, and doesn't force you to do a separate build for
each machine.  You will need to secure it (or, rather, your network) a
bit more carefully, though.

1. Need info on PC/NFS and Unix NFS servers, server/client ratio

Anyone using a Unix box to provide NFS service to a large number of DOS machines?
We have about 80 DOS PCs with Wollongong Pathway NFS software on them. We would
like to use a SPARCserver5 or 20 Unix box for the server. We are not sure of the
Server/Client ratio. The Dos machines will be doing light office work like
WordPerfect. The Unix box will not be loaded down.

                                    thanks,

2. Linux, NT4.0 (and Win95). How to setup such a system.

3. CVSUP QUESTION - where are the /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ files in 4.6-RELEASE?

4. REQ: login time-limiting software

5. kde-cvsup and cvsup - help?!?!

6. CGI and apache

7. When to cvsup from cvsup.schumann.cx

8. probelms with RH 7.0 -> 7.1 Upgrade

9. linux NFS server problem - can't ls in the NFS mounted directory.

10. Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.

11. Awful NFS client perf. w/AIX NFS server

12. Multi-homed NFS servers was Re: 1.1.81 seems to break NFS

13. NFS backup auto mount on client when NFS server fail...!