Boot chooser to go to disk2

Post by Colin Theflea » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 06:00:16

Hi
Is it possible to force the boot manager to boot to disk2 instead of disk1
under the F5 function at start?
I have a dual boot on the first disk (FreeBSD and Windows 98) So I can
choose between F1 DOS or F2 FreeBSD, this works. But I have a second HDD
with windows 2000 and it boots from the bios (if I unplug the 1st disk).
But when this 2nd disk is also installed ,the FreeBSD boot manager sees it
and gives me a 3rd choice: F5 disk1. But I need F5 disk2!!! Disk1 boots
windows on the 1st disk. How can I change it? I read a lot in the Internet
about /boot/.... in FreeBSD but couldn't manage to find out how to tell the
boot manager to boot disk2 on the F5 function key.

Thanks for your ideas
Ciao
Colin

Boot chooser to go to disk2

Post by annel.. » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 14:39:21

> Hi
> Is it possible to force the boot manager to boot to disk2 instead of disk1
> under the F5 function at start?
> I have a dual boot on the first disk (FreeBSD and Windows 98) So I can
> choose between F1 DOS or F2 FreeBSD, this works. But I have a second HDD
> with windows 2000 and it boots from the bios (if I unplug the 1st disk).
> But when this 2nd disk is also installed ,the FreeBSD boot manager sees it
> and gives me a 3rd choice: F5 disk1. But I need F5 disk2!!! Disk1 boots
> windows on the 1st disk. How can I change it? I read a lot in the Internet
> about /boot/.... in FreeBSD but couldn't manage to find out how to tell the
> boot manager to boot disk2 on the F5 function key.
> Thanks for your ideas
> Ciao
> Colin

You need to install the boot manager on disk2; you can do this from
/stand/sysinstall >Configure: Post-Install Configuration of FreeBSD>
FDISK>Select drive by pressing spacebar>In fdisk just press q (don't
do anything else) and install the FreeBSD boot manager.  Then press
cancel to get out of sysinstall on the next screens and exit.

You can all use boot0cfg /dev/ad1 --I think that would be appropriate
for your system.

        Annelise
--
Annelise Anderson
Author of:              FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC

1. Install RH7.1 on disk2, NT4 on disk1, boot only from floppy on disk2 (linux)

I would like to achieve the following:
1. I have two hard drives (EIDE): C and D
2. On C I have WinNT4SP6a
3. On D I want to put RH 7.1
4. I want my PC to boot automatically on NT (no lilo, nothing;
basically I do not want drive C to be "touched")
5. Iff I wish, then using a floppy I will boot onto D and Linux
6. Linux and NT will share nothing

Is this possible and how? I was thinking of disconnecting C: while
installing
on D: and then following FAQ to boot from floppy on hard disk.

Kind regards,
Petros
---
Petros Dafniotis, PhD

2. Reboot on 486DX2-66

3. thinkpad a30 boot on disk2 fails

4. m4 macro processor

5. Bad boot disk (installation disk2)

6. Switch connections

7. Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

8. Incorporation of "sendmail" 6.x?

9. Looking for boot-time network config chooser

10. Chooser of a XTERM DEC booting from Linux

11. Linux / DOS boot chooser anywhere?

12. Chooser of a DEC XTERM who boot from Linux

13. Solaris on Intel: Going, going - Gone!