help-I can't come in after vn the kernel

help-I can't come in after vn the kernel

Post by danu kusman » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 15:03:35

I just add pseudo-device   vn 1   #Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)
in my kernel configuration. After that I just do the usually thing to do to
compile kernel and after that I just reboot the system. But....
after I got
F1    FreeBSD

on my bootmanager the computer just stop there nothing else happening. I
tried to fix this problem using the boot.flp and type hd()kernel but didn't
work either. I tried to use the CDROM to tried to change the boot manager to
the standard boot on my partition but it filed too
PLEASE HELP ME ALL OF MY WORK IS IN THAT COMPUTER!!!! :-((

Post by Philipp Mergenthale » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 09:19:46

> I just add pseudo-device   vn 1   #Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)
> in my kernel configuration. After that I just do the usually thing to do to
> compile kernel and after that I just reboot the system.

Which version of FreeBSD are you using?  Was this some kind of update,
e.g. building a kernel from 4.x sources on a FreeBSD 3.x?  What command
did you use to install the kernel?

Quote:> But....
> after I got
> F1    FreeBSD
> on my bootmanager the computer just stop there nothing else happening.

Strange.  If all you did was compiling and installing a new kernel, you
should at least get this prompt:
Quote:>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT

Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:

Did you do something with the commands disklabel or fdisk?

Quote:> I tried to fix this problem using the boot.flp and type hd()kernel
> but didn't work either.

"hd()kernel" isn't correct syntax for the boot loader.

Try:
0:da(0,a)/boot/loader

This is for the first SCSI disk on a system with only SCSI disks.
IDE disks are called "ad" instead of "da".  (On old systems (2.X, maybe
early 3.x) IDE disks are called "wd".)  E.g. the second disk on an IDE
system should be 1:ad(1,a).

/boot/loader is the third stage loader, which then loads the kernel.
On FreeBSD 3.1 and later, it is better to load this instead of loading
the kernel directly.  (Instead of a file name like /boot/loader, you
can also say ? to get a list of files.)

For more information on this prompt, see
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/boot.html
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=boot&apropos=0&sektion=0&man...

Quote:> I tried to use the CDROM to tried to change the boot manager to
> the standard boot on my partition but it filed too

It would be helpful if you'd describe what exactly you tried, and what
exactly "it failed" means.

Try this: use the boot floppies or boot CDROM to run the installation
program.  In the main menu, go to "Index", then "Fdisk".  Do the slices
("DOS partitions") look ok?  If so, press "w" (and then "q" to leave
this screen).  Now you can choose whether you want a boot manager or a
standard boot sector, and it will get written to the disk.

Also, in the main menu, choose "Index", then "Label".  Do the (BSD-)par-
titions look ok?

You could also use the boot floppies + fixit floppy (or the cdrom)
to try to access your installation.  You can find some more tips on
making a system bootable here:
http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un1i/freebsd/index_e.html

Quote:> PLEASE HELP ME ALL OF MY WORK IS IN THAT COMPUTER!!!! :-((

I'm not sure what happened to your system.  Simply installing a kernel
certainly doesnt't render it unbootable in this way.  It should be
possible to fix it, but only with more information.  If you need your
data desperately, the fastest way may be to move the disk to another
computer (with BSD or Linux) and mount the partitions there.

Good luck,
Philipp

--
http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un1i/                          (,.)
                                                          \\\00 )

I have a book called "The new KornShell Command and Programming
Language". In several chapters, it mentions "side effects" of
built-ins. I'm confused what's that so that I can't understand some
paragraphs. Any help is appreciated.

Lesley Yang

2. AppleTalk and Quota's

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. script to count pages printed?

5. WARNING: loghost could not be resolved

6. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?

7. NetBSD/amiga: How do I access my 2232?

8. how do 'plug-ins' work?

9. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?

10. Printing isn't coming out right *help*

11. From RMS's birthplace comes help for MS...

12. What extra stuff comes on the 'official' 4 CD set