term(inal) challenge: Mutt, SecureCRT, and color

term(inal) challenge: Mutt, SecureCRT, and color

Post by Dan Fost » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:20:49

Had a question asked of me, and I couldn't answer.

How do you get color to work in Mutt when you're ssh'd into a FreeBSD
4.7-RELEASE system using SecureCRT 3.4.2?

It works fine with that combination on a Linux box, and the .muttrc
used for both systems are identical. So why would color not work on
the FreeBSD box? I get normal vt100 bold/reverse video/etc attributes
just fine when 'set term=vt100'.

I can't quite seem to get any colors when using set term=ansi, or
set term=scoansi, AND setting it to either in SecureCRT's emulation
option for that session, along with the 'ANSI Color' box checked.

What am I missing? Do I have to build mutt against some other curses
library such as ncurses or slang, or something...?

When I do a 'mutt -v' on both Linux and FreeBSD boxes, they both have
+HAVE_COLOR and +HAVE_START_COLOR... in fact, pretty much all the build
options are the same!

ldd on the mutt binary on the FreeBSD box shows it's linked against
libncurses, libssl, libcrypto, libintl, libiconv, and libc. On the
Linux box, it's linked against libncurses, libc, and ld-linux.so.2.

-Dan

Post by Dave Pimlot » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:17:09

> Had a question asked of me, and I couldn't answer.

> How do you get color to work in Mutt when you're ssh'd into a FreeBSD
> 4.7-RELEASE system using SecureCRT 3.4.2?

try cons25 (default console setting)or xterm-color <dirty hack that
shouldn't be used, but it works for me, YMMV> or xterm-xfree86 IIRC (check
/etc/termcap to make sure it exists...)

hope it helps.

Dave Pimlott.
--
Politicians should be changed frequently, like nappies - and for
much the same reason. -- Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love)

term(inal) challenge: Mutt, SecureCRT, and color

Post by Dan Fost » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:45:08

Quote:

>try cons25 (default console setting)or xterm-color <dirty hack that
>shouldn't be used, but it works for me, YMMV> or xterm-xfree86 IIRC (check
>/etc/termcap to make sure it exists...)

Thanks!! cons25 gave color but it looked screwed up in its terminal
handling. xterm-color worked, however. Groovy!

Note: I set SecureCRT's side to ANSI and ANSI Color, then the FreeBSD
side with 'set term=xterm-color'. My .muttrc already had specific color
assignments -- from my .muttrc:

color hdrdefault red default
color quoted brightgreen default
color signature red default
color indicator brightyellow red
color error brightred default
color status yellow blue
color tree magenta default      # the thread tree in the index menu
color tilde magenta default
color message brightcyan default
color markers brightcyan default
color attachment brightmagenta default
color search default green      # how to hilite search patterns in the pager
color header brightred default ^(From|Subject):
color body magenta default "(ftp|http)://[^ ]+" # point out URLs

color underline brightgreen default

Very nice output. ;)

-Dan

Post by Thomas Dicke » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 00:14:43

>> Had a question asked of me, and I couldn't answer.

>> How do you get color to work in Mutt when you're ssh'd into a FreeBSD
>> 4.7-RELEASE system using SecureCRT 3.4.2?
> try cons25 (default console setting)or xterm-color <dirty hack that
> shouldn't be used, but it works for me, YMMV> or xterm-xfree86 IIRC (check
> /etc/termcap to make sure it exists...)

cons25 is the worst choice in this case.

( I'd say to use infocmp to compare, but this is FreeBSD ;-)

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

term(inal) challenge: Mutt, SecureCRT, and color

Post by John » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:04:18

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 05:20:49 +0000 (UTC), Dan Foster

>  Had a question asked of me, and I couldn't answer.

>  How do you get color to work in Mutt when you're ssh'd into a FreeBSD
>  4.7-RELEASE system using SecureCRT 3.4.2?

short answer: run mutt in screen on the remote machine

I don't know why this works, perhaps screen's emulation is better, I
haven't customised screen.

--
John - http://www.reiteration.net/~jfm
Hitting 'reply' sends your email to the bit-bucket. To reply via email

1. getting color in a SecureCRT terminal

Does anyone know how to set things up so that apps like vim
can display color?  I am using SecureCRT as my terminal program.
I have tried VT100, VT220, and Linux term types and non of them
work.  Might there be something on the Solaris side I need to
setup?

I am running Solaris 8 on a ULTRASparc 10.

Sam

2. Apache on RH 5.1

3. SECURITY: mutt-1.2.5.1 and mutt-1.3.25 have been released.

4. voodoo3 3k & xfree 4.0. Need assistance please

5. mutt not in color

6. possible to change rc.d sequence?

7. mutt <- no color under RedHat

8. Sun's claims regarding Solaris 8 for Oracle DB performance?

9. color, mutt and me

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. color terms?

12. Q: vim / ansi term type produces color output on Linux, but not Solaris

13. NCD X Term, colors and fonts