rc.network ifconfig

Post by J.D. Bronso » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:21:47

I am trying to troubleshoot something I munged in the startup of FBSD 4.6.2
and
wanted to know if there is a way to prevent (at least for now) the system
from dumping 'ifconfig' ifnormation to the console ?

I tried remarking out a few things and as expected the network wouldnt come
up.
I dont have any DHCP and everything is hard coded.

something like ifconfig fxp0 blah > /dev/null  ?

Help?

rc.network ifconfig

Post by annel.. » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 16:20:59

> I am trying to troubleshoot something I munged in the startup of FBSD 4.6.2
> and
> wanted to know if there is a way to prevent (at least for now) the system
> from dumping 'ifconfig' ifnormation to the console ?
> I tried remarking out a few things and as expected the network wouldnt come
> up.
> I dont have any DHCP and everything is hard coded.
> something like ifconfig fxp0 blah > /dev/null  ?
> Help?

You shouldn't have to edit rc.network.  The setting to change should
be in /etc/rc.conf.  You can comment out a line with a # at the
beginning to deactivate it.

If you are getting a lot of console messages, it may be because
of errors, perhaps introduced by editing rc.network.

If you don't want to edit rc.conf directly, you can use /stand/sysinstall.

If you really messed up rc.network, maybe you should reinstall the "bin"
distro from the CD or by ftp.  This will wipe out whatever you're done in
/etc (overwrite the files) so if there's anything you want to save, back
it up to another name first.

        Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of:               FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC

rc.network ifconfig

Post by J.D. Bronso » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 20:30:15

> > I am trying to troubleshoot something I munged in the startup of FBSD
4.6.2
> > and
> > wanted to know if there is a way to prevent (at least for now) the
system
> > from dumping 'ifconfig' ifnormation to the console ?

> > I tried remarking out a few things and as expected the network wouldnt
come
> > up.
> > I dont have any DHCP and everything is hard coded.

> > something like ifconfig fxp0 blah > /dev/null  ?

> > Help?

> You shouldn't have to edit rc.network.  The setting to change should
> be in /etc/rc.conf.  You can comment out a line with a # at the
> beginning to deactivate it.

> If you are getting a lot of console messages, it may be because
> of errors, perhaps introduced by editing rc.network.

> If you don't want to edit rc.conf directly, you can use /stand/sysinstall.

> If you really messed up rc.network, maybe you should reinstall the "bin"
> distro from the CD or by ftp.  This will wipe out whatever you're done in
> /etc (overwrite the files) so if there's anything you want to save, back
> it up to another name first.

> Annelise

Thanks...yes this I do know...But what I was trying to do was shunt
(supress) the ifconfig junk that is thrown on the console during bootup.

I get all the details about all my ethernet adapters (including local) and
all I wanted to do was sent this output to /dev/null. I am used to OpenBSD
where you dont see this at bootup. This way, all the boot messages I need
will be on the console without rolling up and off the top.

I am sure that editing rc.conf wont fix this...but looking at rc.network, I
have not found the place where once the adapters get initialized they then
throw output to the console.

I hope this makes things clearer? - there may not be a way to change this
behaviour.

It would be nice to simply see 'fxp0 set to x.x.x.x' and then nothing else.

Thanks for the reply anyways :)

rc.network ifconfig

Post by Joost Kremer » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 20:43:36

> Thanks...yes this I do know...But what I was trying to do was shunt
> (supress) the ifconfig junk that is thrown on the console during bootup.

> I get all the details about all my ethernet adapters (including local) and
> all I wanted to do was sent this output to /dev/null. I am used to OpenBSD
> where you dont see this at bootup. This way, all the boot messages I need
> will be on the console without rolling up and off the top.

won't `dmesg -a' do this for you, just after you booted and logged in?
it does on linux. (well, you don't need the -a switch on linux, but
still.) my machine was last booted 45 days ago, and the message buffer
is now filled with messages from ipfw, so i can't really check, but
right after booting all the boot messages should be there.

--
Joost Kremers           http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~jkremers
Ask 8 slackers how to do something, get 10 answers.

rc.network ifconfig

Post by J.D. Bronso » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:27:05

> > Thanks...yes this I do know...But what I was trying to do was shunt
> > (supress) the ifconfig junk that is thrown on the console during bootup.

> > I get all the details about all my ethernet adapters (including local)
and
> > all I wanted to do was sent this output to /dev/null. I am used to
OpenBSD
> > where you dont see this at bootup. This way, all the boot messages I
need
> > will be on the console without rolling up and off the top.

> won't `dmesg -a' do this for you, just after you booted and logged in?
> it does on linux. (well, you don't need the -a switch on linux, but
> still.) my machine was last booted 45 days ago, and the message buffer
> is now filled with messages from ipfw, so i can't really check, but
> right after booting all the boot messages should be there.

> --
> Joost Kremers http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~jkremers
> Ask 8 slackers how to do something, get 10 answers.
> -- sl in alt.os.linux.slackware

Well...ironically, there is a script that runs. 'security' and it somehow
dumps all the
booted messages into /var/log/dmesg.* ....this file has now shown me what I
needed to see from boot. It was a syntax error (as expected).

Thanks!

rc.network ifconfig

Post by Bill Vermilli » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 01:27:17

>> > I am trying to troubleshoot something I munged in the
>> > startup of FBSD 4.6.2 and wanted to know if there is a
>> > way to prevent (at least for now) the system from dumping
>> > 'ifconfig' ifnormation to the console ?
>> > I tried remarking out a few things and as expected the
>> > network wouldnt come up.
>> > I dont have any DHCP and everything is hard coded.
>> > something like ifconfig fxp0 blah > /dev/null  ?
>> You shouldn't have to edit rc.network.  The setting to change should
>> be in /etc/rc.conf.  You can comment out a line with a # at the
>> beginning to deactivate it.
>> If you are getting a lot of console messages, it may be because
>> of errors, perhaps introduced by editing rc.network.
>> If you don't want to edit rc.conf directly, you can use
>> /stand/sysinstall.
>> If you really messed up rc.network, maybe you should reinstall
>> the "bin" distro from the CD or by ftp. This will wipe out
>> whatever you're done in /etc (overwrite the files) so if
>> there's anything you want to save, back it up to another name
>> first.
>Thanks...yes this I do know...But what I was trying to do was shunt
>(supress) the ifconfig junk that is thrown on the console during bootup.
>I get all the details about all my ethernet adapters (including
>local) and all I wanted to do was sent this output to /dev/null.
>I am used to OpenBSD where you dont see this at bootup. This
>way, all the boot messages I need will be on the console without
>rolling up and off the top.

It may be that there is a difference between all the messages >you<
need and all those that >someone else< needs.

All the messages that have scrolled by are accessible by
pressing  scrlck and then use the pageup and pagedown keys.
I compile my kernel with SC_HISTORY_SIZE=400 instead of the default
200 to get about 16 pages of scroll back info.

All the boot message are visible by using dmesg.  This is a
circular buffer so you may get other things there.

To see the messages that are on boot up look at
/var/run/dmesg.boot.  That is the output of the dmesg at boot time
and will remain that way until the next boot so you can see this
when the dmesg buffer is wrapped.

Quote:>I am sure that editing rc.conf wont fix this...but looking at
>rc.network, I have not found the place where once the adapters
>get initialized they then throw output to the console.

You may want to see this in case there are problems.

Quote:>I hope this makes things clearer? - there may not be a way to change this
>behaviour.
>It would be nice to simply see 'fxp0 set to x.x.x.x' and then
>nothing else.

Does doing this help:

dmesg | grep fxp0

I have ep0 so that   dmesg | grep ep0 yields this:

ep0: <3Com 3C509-TPO EtherLink III> at port 0x240-0x24f irq 5 on isa0
ep0: Ethernet address 00:60:08:02:cf:f6
ep0: promiscuous mode enabled

That won't show you the IP address because that is set later.
That comes after all the above runs and the network is set up.

The outputs of ifconfig are shown on the console during bootup
so that is where that is output.

Perhaps    ifconfig | grep -A 4 fxp0 would give what you want?

Other than that I'm out of ideas. A fresh shipment is due after the
holiday.

Bill
--

rc.network ifconfig

Post by Bill Vermilli » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 01:27:23

>> > Thanks...yes this I do know...But what I was trying to do
>> > was shunt (supress) the ifconfig junk that is thrown on the
>> > console during bootup.

>> > I get all the details about all my ethernet adapters
>> > (including local)

>and

>> > all I wanted to do was sent this output to /dev/null. I am
>> > used to

>OpenBSD

>> > where you dont see this at bootup. This way, all the boot
>> > messages I

>need

>> > will be on the console without rolling up and off the top.

>> won't `dmesg -a' do this for you, just after you booted and
>> logged in? it does on linux. (well, you don't need the -a
>> switch on linux, but still.) my machine was last booted 45
>> days ago, and the message buffer is now filled with messages
>> from ipfw, so i can't really check, but right after booting
>> all the boot messages should be there.

>> -- Joost Kremers http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~jkremers Ask
>> 8 slackers how to do something, get 10 answers. -- sl in
>> alt.os.linux.slackware
>Well...ironically, there is a script that runs. 'security' and
>it somehow dumps all the booted messages into /var/log/dmesg.*
>....this file has now shown me what I needed to see from boot.
>It was a syntax error (as expected).

Since you've just started you'll find that the
dmesg.[yesterday|today] are used quite effectively.

If somthing changes on your system you will get that email in
security on the diffs between the two.  The only time yesterdays
date changes is when today differs from yesterday, output is mailed
and the next run then today is yesterday.

I'd not call that 'ironice' but one of those little things in BSD
that make it so easy to know what a system is doing at all times.

That message shoule have also been in /var/run/dmesg.boot as I
mentioned in an earlier message

Bill

--

1. 2.2.5 rc.conf, rc.network, defaultrouter

our local IT partitioned my lan into 2 ip subnets, so I needed
to add a default route to an IT machine to get from one subnet
to another

to do this for w.x.y.z on the command line I would type:
# route add default w.x.y.1

I figured there had to be some way to do this in /etc/rc*

I found defaultrouter, which according to the manpage should
be the right thing.  unfortunately, /etc/rc.network uses this
to define route_default, but then NEVER uses route_default.

am I off base here?

also what is up with static_routes, could I use this instead?
examples?

Raytheon Electronic Systems             1-508-490-2086 (Phax)

->"this is my personal opinion and not that of my employer."<-

2. Win2k can't browse apache webserver on LAN

3. difference between /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit ?

4. seyon toolkit options, how?

5. which user does /etc/rc.d/rc.local / rc.sysinit run as?

6. Ftape error

7. SOLVED - Raid rc.0, rc.6 rc.S

8. RS/6000 Shared libraries

9. Q: rc.d and ifconfig with route.

10. Endless ifconfig loop in rc.conf at startup in 4.5

11. Trouble with /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit root mount

12. RH7.3: LVM & /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

13. call to ldconfig in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit question