ftpd

Post by n.. » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 00:17:35

i can no longer connet via ftp. the ftpd does not seem to be running
anylonger and i have no idea why. i have ftpd enabled in the rc.conf
file. I have changed the host name and some dns settings since/before
this occured. any suggestions would be appreciated.

ftpd

Post by Loki » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 00:36:37

> i can no longer connet via ftp. the ftpd does not seem to be running
> anylonger and i have no idea why. i have ftpd enabled in the rc.conf
> file. I have changed the host name and some dns settings since/before
> this occured. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Perhaps you did something that caused ftpd to crash. Try restarting it. Try
reading its log files. Give more information. :)
--
Did you lose your mind all at once, or was it a slow, gradual process?

                 --- Jack Lucas in The Fisher King

ftpd

Post by n.. » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 00:51:02

i get the "command not found" error when trying to start it manually
from root.

losing my mind has been way too slow

>> i can no longer connet via ftp. the ftpd does not seem to be running
>> anylonger and i have no idea why. i have ftpd enabled in the rc.conf
>> file. I have changed the host name and some dns settings since/before
>> this occured. any suggestions would be appreciated.

>Perhaps you did something that caused ftpd to crash. Try restarting it. Try
>reading its log files. Give more information. :)

ftpd

I have ftpd started in inetd.conf. not rc.conf.

Post by Henrik Motake » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 01:07:28

> i get the "command not found" error when trying to start it manually
> from root.

Do you give the complete path instead of just "ftpd"? The binary is in
/usr/libexec, which isn't usually in $PATH.

ftpd

Post by n.. » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 01:53:09

i am thinking i don't know the correct command. i am typing in "ftpd"
at the command prompt while in  /usr/libexec. the ftpd binary is
there.

Post by Lynn S. Week » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 02:48:17

> i am thinking i don't know the correct command. i am typing in "ftpd" at
> the command prompt while in  /usr/libexec. the ftpd binary is there. On

>>> i get the "command not found" error when trying to start it manually
>>> from root.

>>Do you give the complete path instead of just "ftpd"? The binary is in
>>/usr/libexec, which isn't usually in $PATH.

That means you probably have a "safe" PATH setting that doesn't include
the current directory.  This is so you won't run the wrong version of
something or run a program that isn't what you intended to run, like a
trojan.  Because of that you will have to specify the path to the program
on the command line.  If you are in your home directory, for instance, you
could type in the full pathname, /usr/libexec/ftpd, to get the program to
start.  When you are in /usr/libexec you specify the path by saying
./ftpd.  The ./ prefix tells the shell that you meant to run a program
that's not in the PATH and is in the current directory.  If there are
programs that you want to run often that aren't in the PATH you may want
to make aliases that contain the absolute pathname of the program.

Lynn

ftpd

Post by n.. » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 03:25:49

Thank you, that solved my problem of being an idiot and not knowing
how to start it.
but it did not solve my problem of not being able to connect to the
box via ftp.
i am still getting the connection refused error. the user names i am
using are not in the /etc/ftpusers list.

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:48:17 GMT, "Lynn S. Weeks"

>> i am thinking i don't know the correct command. i am typing in "ftpd" at
>> the command prompt while in  /usr/libexec. the ftpd binary is there. On

>>>Do you give the complete path instead of just "ftpd"? The binary is in
>>>/usr/libexec, which isn't usually in $PATH.

>That means you probably have a "safe" PATH setting that doesn't include
>the current directory.  This is so you won't run the wrong version of
>something or run a program that isn't what you intended to run, like a
>trojan.  Because of that you will have to specify the path to the program
>on the command line.  If you are in your home directory, for instance, you
>could type in the full pathname, /usr/libexec/ftpd, to get the program to
>start.  When you are in /usr/libexec you specify the path by saying
>./ftpd.  The ./ prefix tells the shell that you meant to run a program
>that's not in the PATH and is in the current directory.  If there are
>programs that you want to run often that aren't in the PATH you may want
>to make aliases that contain the absolute pathname of the program.

>Lynn

ftpd

Post by Loki » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 09:47:16

> I have ftpd started in inetd.conf. not rc.conf.

I was wondering about that.

Okay. Please post the output from sockstat | grep inetd
--
On Progress in Public Discourse:

the standard punishment for heretics included things like being burned
at the stake with sacks of gunpowder around your neck.....
     all we risk today is net.ridicule....

                 --- ante\\pathy

1. wu-ftpd instead of ftpd

ftpd always craps out - in fact, it no longer seems to function upon
restart, dunno why.  I'm thinking of switching to wu-ftpd, which I
believe I installed the from the ports collection, when I installed this
whole thing.  A whereis wu-ftpd finds it in usr/ports/.... I ran make
install but to no avail, what now?

TIA

Rick

2. PCMCIA on IBM 560

3. Wu.ftpd or linux-ftpd?

4. Best way to handle day-to-day changes on client PCs?

5. in.ftpd zombie problem with wu-ftpd on RH6

6. Sending Interrupts...

7. FreeBSD ftpd 6.0 vs wu-ftpd 2.4

8. Pine query

9. Weirdness of solaris ftpd and wu-ftpd

10. How to install wu.ftpd or in.ftpd with chroot?

11. wu-ftpd or pro-ftpd

12. ftpd wu.ftpd not starting up

13. ftpd default server vs wu-ftpd ?