How to retrieve secure mail from server

Post by Marc Andre Paqui » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 21:49:03

Hello,

Can someone explain how I can setup a server (FBSD 4.4) so people can retieve
e-mails from Outlook, Netscape, etc. in a secure mode.

I already have openssh installed but I dont know how to set this up for mail
and how it could work with different e-mail client...

Any tips or doc that you know of?

Thanks!
--
Marc Andr Paquin

Post by Jim Hendr » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 05:55:16

> Hello,

> Can someone explain how I can setup a server (FBSD 4.4) so people can retieve
> e-mails from Outlook, Netscape, etc. in a secure mode.

> I already have openssh installed but I dont know how to set this up for mail
> and how it could work with different e-mail client...

> Any tips or doc that you know of?

> Thanks!

I use the imap-uw port to provide SSL imap. When making the port you
will need to provide WITH_SSL=YES to the make command.  Then follow the
instruction when make install is done.  You will also need to edit
inetd.conf to direct imaps to the imap daemon.

Good luck,
Jim Hendry

Post by Devon Rya » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 08:18:55

>> Hello,

>> Can someone explain how I can setup a server (FBSD 4.4) so people can
>> retieve e-mails from Outlook, Netscape, etc. in a secure mode.

>> I already have openssh installed but I dont know how to set this up
>> for mail and how it could work with different e-mail client...

>> Any tips or doc that you know of?

>> Thanks!

> I use the imap-uw port to provide SSL imap. When making the port you
> will need to provide WITH_SSL=YES to the make command.  Then follow the
> instruction when make install is done.  You will also need to edit
> inetd.conf to direct imaps to the imap daemon.

> Good luck,
> Jim Hendry

And don't forget to make cclient with SSL support too.  imap-uw kind of
needs this if you want ssl.

--

Biology/Neuroscience, Pre-med | http://home.uchicago.edu/~dpryan

How to retrieve secure mail from server

Post by Christopher Kings-Lynn » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 15:23:53

And don't forget you're going to have to generate and sign yourself a
certificate for the imap server.

Chris

> >> Hello,

> >> Can someone explain how I can setup a server (FBSD 4.4) so people can
> >> retieve e-mails from Outlook, Netscape, etc. in a secure mode.

> >> I already have openssh installed but I dont know how to set this up
> >> for mail and how it could work with different e-mail client...

> >> Any tips or doc that you know of?

> >> Thanks!

> > I use the imap-uw port to provide SSL imap. When making the port you
> > will need to provide WITH_SSL=YES to the make command.  Then follow the
> > instruction when make install is done.  You will also need to edit
> > inetd.conf to direct imaps to the imap daemon.

> > Good luck,
> > Jim Hendry

> And don't forget to make cclient with SSL support too.  imap-uw kind of
> needs this if you want ssl.

> --

> Biology/Neuroscience, Pre-med | http://home.uchicago.edu/~dpryan

How to retrieve secure mail from server

Post by p.. » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 17:40:44

Quote:> Hello,
> Can someone explain how I can setup a server (FBSD 4.4) so people can retieve
> e-mails from Outlook, Netscape, etc. in a secure mode.

The best documentation is from f-secure :
"http://www.datafellows.fi/download-purchase/manuals/docs/manual/sshwi..."

Read the section about tunneling.

Quote:> I already have openssh installed but I dont know how to set this up for mail

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

1. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

Let's take a look at this scenario:

I have two mail accounts, one on academic Unix server A and second
at my office - Unix server B. And there is also Win95/NT PC on my desk.
Practicaly I use Internet only from my PC. There is proxy gateway for
http and ftp outbound connections. No pops, telnets and other services
outside the office. You know - security.
And, let's assume, all inbound mail is CCopied to my boss.

And where is the problem?
I want to have all my private mail (sent to my academic account)
on my desk - Internet Mail, Pegasus or sth like that.

Forwarding mail from one account to the other does not provide security.
My office Unix server is "untrusted", so all forwarded mail should
arrive encoded. And decoding should be done by my pop3 client, just on
my desk.

So, some procmail action should be taken at Server A to encode (by pgp?)
and forward mail. And some automatical decoding at my desk.

Any help?
Any URL, sample conf and tips?

Regards
tko

2. Booting linux with MOST util (OS/2).

3. Retrieving mail from a mail hosting server.

4. IP address depletion ( need suggestions )

5. Retrieving only certain mails from a POP3 server

6. Sparcprinter model QA-6

7. Retrieve Mail from a WinNT Server

8. ODT5+SMP, Dual Pentium Pro Motherboard : An

9. How to retrieve mail from a WinNT Server?

10. Retrieve mail from POP server from the shell prompt.

11. NEED HELP WITH PROGRAMMING POP3 MAIL PROGRAM TO RETRIEVE MAIL ON UNIX-TO-UNIX

12. how to retrieve Linux mail from netscape mail?

13. How to secure newly installed web-mail-ftp server ?