FreeBSD 5.0 Installed. Now What?

Post by Carrier Famil » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 06:45:19

        I upgraded my compuiter to FreeBSD the easy way. (I wiped out ever
ything but /home, then upgraded.) I CDed to /sys/i386/conf, and no LINT. Oh,
 yeah, 5.0 has this realy cool dynamic loading of kernel modules. I found l
ost of documentation stating thow 5.0 is different, but I can't find an
ything saying how to use it. I may just be looking in the wrong places.

        All I need to do is load the modules replacing 'device bktr' for my T
V card and 'device pcm' for my sound card. I found all the needed modu
les in /boot/kernel/, but I don't know what to do with them.

Thanks,
David Carrier

Post by Jose Yimph » Thu, 06 Mar 2003 23:28:52

>         I upgraded my compuiter to FreeBSD the easy way. (I wiped out ever
> ything but /home, then upgraded.) I CDed to /sys/i386/conf, and no LINT. Oh,
>  yeah, 5.0 has this realy cool dynamic loading of kernel modules. I found l
> ost of documentation stating thow 5.0 is different, but I can't find an
> ything saying how to use it. I may just be looking in the wrong places.

>         All I need to do is load the modules replacing 'device bktr' for my T
> V card and 'device pcm' for my sound card. I found all the needed modu
> les in /boot/kernel/, but I don't know what to do with them.

> Thanks,
> David Carrier

Not sure if it's the same in 5.0, but typically to load modules, you do
'kldload <module name>'.

(there's also kldstat and kldunload, if you need them)

FreeBSD 5.0 Installed. Now What?

Post by Carrier Famil » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:03:53

Quote:> 'kldload <module name>'.

After I have loaded the module, how do I get the correct entries in /dev/?

Thanks again,
David Carrier

FreeBSD 5.0 Installed. Now What?

Post by Steven G. Kar » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:13:53

Quote:>         I upgraded my compuiter to FreeBSD the easy way. (I wiped out ever
> ything but /home, then upgraded.) I CDed to /sys/i386/conf, and no LINT.

LINT has become /sys/conf/NOTES and /sys/MD/conf/NOTES where
MD is i386, pc98, sparc64, alpha, and ia64.

Quote:> Oh, yeah, 5.0 has this realy cool dynamic loading of kernel modules.
> I found lost of documentation stating thow 5.0 is different, but I
> can't find anything saying how to use it. I may just be looking in
> the wrong places.

man kld

Quote:> All I need to do is load the modules replacing 'device bktr' for my T
> V card and 'device pcm' for my sound card. I found all the needed modu
> les in /boot/kernel/, but I don't know what to do with them.

Add

snd_pcm_load="YES"
bktr_load="YES"

to /boot/loader.conf.  You may need an additiona snd_XXX_load
command to match whatever sound card you have.

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

Post by David Vidal RodrĂ­gue » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:48:31

>>'kldload <module name>'.

> After I have loaded the module, how do I get the correct entries in /dev/?

FreeBSD 5.0 uses devfs by default, that means, the device entries that
appear reflect the detected hardware and nothing else. If you load a kld
that recognizes your TV card, chances are that you get a new entry for
it in /dev.

CU
David.

Post by Steven G. Kar » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:53:03

Quote:>> 'kldload <module name>'.

> After I have loaded the module, how do I get the correct entries in /dev/?

The devices should automagically appear when they are
first used.  FreeBSD 5.0 uses devfs.

man devfs

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

FreeBSD 5.0 Installed. Now What?

Post by Carrier Famil » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:34:09

Quote:> The devices should automagically appear when they are
> first used.  FreeBSD 5.0 uses devfs.

I added the following to /boot/loader.conf

    snd_pcm_load="YES"
    snd_via82x686_load="YES"
    bktr_load="YES"

        The TV-tuner card works now, but the sound card still doesn't.
KNOPPIX identified my sound card as `VT82C686 [Apollo Super AC97/audio]
driver=via82cxxxaudio', so snd_via82x686 seems like the correct choice, but
still no /dev/dsp.

Thanks more,
David Carrier

Post by Steven G. Kar » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 01:23:53

Quote:>> The devices should automagically appear when they are
>> first used.  FreeBSD 5.0 uses devfs.

> I added the following to /boot/loader.conf

>     snd_pcm_load="YES"
>     snd_via82x686_load="YES"
>     bktr_load="YES"

>         The TV-tuner card works now, but the sound card still doesn't.
> KNOPPIX identified my sound card as `VT82C686 [Apollo Super AC97/audio]
> driver=via82cxxxaudio', so snd_via82x686 seems like the correct choice, but
> still no /dev/dsp.

What does dmesg ouput after you boot?  There are two modules
for VIA chips: snd_via8233.ko and snd_via82c686.ko.  Perhaps,
you need the other module.  Also, what does ls /dev/d* show?

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

FreeBSD 5.0 Installed. Now What?

Post by Carrier Famil » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 05:20:39

Quote:>     snd_via82x686_load="YES"

        Nevermind, it was a typo on my part, I put an `x' in 82c686 instea
d of a `c'. It's working now.

Thanks for all your help,
David Carrier

1. freebsd (4.7 and 5.0) install impossible (was: [n00b] freebsd 5.0 install :: boot fails on ide chip detection)

hi group

i already posted this a few weeks ago and received the recommendation
to install 4.7 instead of 5.0. heres the original post:

########## original post #########################

i am new to bsd (been using linux for some years now though) and want
to give it a try and learn how it works.

i d/l'ed the 2 freebsd 5.0 isos from my local mirror.
when trying to boot from the 1st cd the kernel loads but on detection
of my ide devices it panics and the box freezes.

the last message is
ATA0 resetting devices ...

i have been googling a lot and ony found one other guy with the same
prob; he has a
MTB ASUS P4S8X with
SiS 648,963
chipset.

are asus boards known to be problematic with bsd? are there any boot
parameters i can set? i also updated my bios to the latest version
but the default bsd kernel does not seem to like my chip :(

my system:

mobo: asus a7v333

mem: 512 MB DDR

ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb000-0xb007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xb008-0xb00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hda: ST380021A, ATA DISK drive
hdb: Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 9300, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: IC35L080AVVA07-0, ATA DISK drive
hdd: SONY DVD-ROM DDU1211, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hda: 156301488 sectors (80026 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=9729/255/63,
UDMA(100)
hdc: 160836480 sectors (82348 MB) w/1863KiB Cache, CHS=159560/16/63,
UDMA(100)
hdd: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, UDMA(33)

TIA for any help...i can run bsd under vmware ATM but thats just not
the same :)

######## original post end ############

i did as i was told and sucked the 2.5 GB in 4 isos off the web to get
the more stable version that would run on more various hardware
configurations. well the same issue again :(

i tried to boot from the cds, also from the floppies. booting from
floppy i do at least reach the kernel configuration but also playing
with the settings brought no luck.

the exact error messages are these:
[...boot blabla...]
ad 0 ... [my primary master harddisk] ... at ata0-master
ad 1 ... [my secondary master harddisk] ... at ata1-master
acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices ..

that's it. the kernel is dead, i have to reboot pushing the reset
button 4 seconds long :(

anybody had similar problems?

p.s. i have read the release notes and the install docs.

--

Beer....Helping uglY people have sex since 1862!

2. Headless machine?

3. Problems installing FreeBSD 5.0 on old 386

4. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 6 of 6)

5. avifile install problem under FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE

6. Welcome to comp.unix.programmer (v1.20)

7. FreeBSD 5.0 Install Kernel Config

8. Cardinal modem question?

9. Network install of FreeBSD 5.0 with xl (3COM905B) NIC

10. Installing Fore PCA 200e ATM-PCI-Adapter on FreeBSD 5.0?

11. freebsd 5.0 install :: boot fails on ide chip detection

12. FreeBSD 5.0 install questions

13. Network diskless install for FreeBSD 5.0