splash screen issue with bimap resolution

splash screen issue with bimap resolution

Post by vinchenz » Wed, 02 May 2001 06:00:55

I have evrything in the loader.conf file flagged as it seems it should be,
but when it boots, it appears to try to load the bitmap, be reports 24bit
color, unsupported color depth.

How does one fix this?

Thanks

splash screen issue with bimap resolution

Post by Matthew L. Creec » Wed, 02 May 2001 07:56:02

Quote:

> I have evrything in the loader.conf file flagged as it seems it should be,
> but when it boots, it appears to try to load the bitmap, be reports 24bit
> color, unsupported color depth.

> How does one fix this?

> Thanks

I'm pretty sure the vesa drivers normally only handle 8-bit (256
color).  Try reducing it to that and see if it works - that's what I did
and it worked fine.

--
Matthew L. Creech

Post by vinchenz » Wed, 02 May 2001 11:58:28

> > I have evrything in the loader.conf file flagged as it seems it should
> > be, but when it boots, it appears to try to load the bitmap, be reports
> > 24bit color, unsupported color depth.

> > How does one fix this?

> > Thanks

> I'm pretty sure the vesa drivers normally only handle 8-bit (256
> color).  Try reducing it to that and see if it works - that's what I did
> and it worked fine.

in the loader.conf file, the bmp itself or the actual Xwin settings
(XF86Config), it would seem that x wouldn't be relevant, you're still in
the command line realm at that point, arent you?

splash screen issue with bimap resolution

Post by Matthew L. Creec » Thu, 03 May 2001 03:53:03

Quote:

> in the loader.conf file, the bmp itself or the actual Xwin settings
> (XF86Config), it would seem that x wouldn't be relevant, you're still in
> the command line realm at that point, arent you?

I don't understand what you said in this sentence...  X has nothing to do
with anything here.  You need to set your boot loader up to load the vesa
module so that your card can display a decent resulotion.  The vesa
driver, however, won't handle 24-bit color.  It *may* go up to 16,
depending on your card and the resolution you're trying to get.  All you
need to do is change the image depth itself from 24-bit to 16 or 8,
whichever you can get working (most likely 8).  Try

vidcontrol -i mode
vidcontrol -i adapter

for info. on what modes are available.

--
Matthew L. Creech

Post by vinchenz » Thu, 03 May 2001 07:41:16

> > in the loader.conf file, the bmp itself or the actual Xwin settings
> > (XF86Config), it would seem that x wouldn't be relevant, you're still in
> > the command line realm at that point, arent you?

> I don't understand what you said in this sentence...  X has nothing to do
> with anything here.

I didnt think it did, I'm a linux vet but a bsd newbie so I guess I'm
looking for a syntax hint here, you make it sound like this is set up in
loader.conf, my specific config is a linux-freebsd-win2k tripleboot working
off lilo using a bootable flagged bsd partition, is this correct, if not,
what conf or equivalent file needs this entry and the syntax would be
helpful to.

You need to set your boot loader up to load the vesa

Quote:> module so that your card can display a decent resulotion.  The vesa