Bad magic number with Netscape: won't start

Bad magic number with Netscape: won't start

Post by Web Manage » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I installed FreeBSD 4.0 from the CD.

I have a bad magic number problem with Netscape 4.72 (from port tree):

/usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6:  minor version
-1 older than expected 0, using it anyway
ld.so failed: bad magic number in "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6"

I have tried several things:

1) complete CD installation: XFree86 and KDE from the CD package
2) partial: XFree86 from the CD but KDE from a new downloaded port tree
3) complete from ports: XFree86 and KDE from port

They all give the same results... it won't start! I suppose that the CD
packages could be "outdated" for the Netscape "fresh" installation from
the port. But even with "fresh" XFree86 and KDE installed from the port,
it's not better!

Netscape is essential to me... so I am desperate!!!

Thanks!
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marc Andre Paquin

Bad magic number with Netscape: won't start

Post by DennisNewt » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I had the same problem.  I finally uninstalled the FreeBSD version of
Netscape and installed the Linux version from the ports.  That problem
went away. Also RealPlayer version 7 works correctly now, didn't under
the BSD version of NetScape.

DennisN

>Hello,

>I installed FreeBSD 4.0 from the CD.

>I have a bad magic number problem with Netscape 4.72 (from port tree):

>/usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6:  minor version
>-1 older than expected 0, using it anyway
>ld.so failed: bad magic number in "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6"

>I have tried several things:

>1) complete CD installation: XFree86 and KDE from the CD package
>2) partial: XFree86 from the CD but KDE from a new downloaded port tree
>3) complete from ports: XFree86 and KDE from port

>They all give the same results... it won't start! I suppose that the CD
>packages could be "outdated" for the Netscape "fresh" installation from
>the port. But even with "fresh" XFree86 and KDE installed from the port,
>it's not better!

>Netscape is essential to me... so I am desperate!!!

>Thanks!
>--
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Marc Andre Paquin

Bad magic number with Netscape: won't start

Post by Web Manage » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I had the same problem.  I finally uninstalled the FreeBSD version of
> Netscape and installed the Linux version from the ports.  That problem
> went away. Also RealPlayer version 7 works correctly now, didn't under
> the BSD version of NetScape.

> DennisN

Perfect!

I have the feeling that I was like a fly in a window... keep trying but
but always failing!

Thanks again!
--
Marc Andre Paquin