Frontpage Virtual Hosts

Post by tony » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I hope someone can shed some light on this problem.  I am running apache-fp
from the ports collection and have my mixed virtual servers set up almost
identical to the configuration on the apache web site.  I have no problem
connecting to the frontpage webs with FrontPage Explorer if I use
my.server.name as web server file location.  Where the problem comes in is
accessing them from their own domain name.  I was getting server busy errors
until I changed file permissions on _vti_pvt.  Now the error I get is that
front page extensions are not installed.

Maybe someone can explain these lines in the httpd.conf

### In Order for FrontPage to work in User and Virtual ###
### Web Directories, they need to be set up as shown:  ###
<IfDefine FRONTPAGE>
    <Directory /*/public_html>
  AllowOverride AuthConfig Limit Indexes Options
 Options ExecCGI
    </Directory>
</IfDefine>

Is this the problem, and if it is I don't fully understand it.

I have read the apache how too at
http://www.faure.de/Apache+SSL+PHP+fp-howto-1p.html and am confused by
another point.  Is this information old?  I understand from the current
information that one does not want apache to rely on DNS lookup and the
example here is using names rather than IP address.

<VirtualHost www.virt2.com>
SSLDisableServer

DocumentRoot /var/httpd/virt2
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/httpd/virt2/cgi-bin/
ServerName www.virt2.comErrorLog
logs/virt2-error.log
TransferLog logs/virt2-access.log</VirtualHost>

when the apache documentation looks like this.

<VirtualHost 111.22.33.44>
DocumentRoot /www/subdomain1
 ServerName www.sub1.domain.tld    ...
</VirtualHost>

I also get error messages in the http log that says there are no virtual
hosts, but there are, and they work fine with the exception of FrontPage
Explorer.

Has anyone had such problems.  Thanks in advance.

Tony

1. FrontPage virtual hosting, removal or reset of virtual host

Hello,

We have FrontPage extensions on a Unix server running BSD 2.1.  We have
many virtual hosts on the server.  Assigning a domain name to a new
virtual host is no problem.

The problem is when a customer leaves, we are left with their account.
How do you completely clear out the account and change the passwords, so
it can be assigned to a new user?

Thanks...

It's Apache 1.0.5 by the way

2. time_base_to_time

3. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

4. problem

5. Apache 1.3.0 - Virtual Hosts and Frontpage SERK

6. 2.4.20-pre5-ac1 still have the DMA problem

7. Apache, FrontPage, and Named virtual hosts, Security, please help !

8. No luck with 2.2.x kernel on RH 5.2!

9. Frontpage + non-IP virtual hosts

10. Frontpage and Apache virtual hosts - help please

11. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

12. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

13. For Discussion: web virtual hosting vs mail virtual hosting