What's causing "getcwd" errors?

Post by Mat » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm having problems with my users (and my weekly run output) getting
errors like:

shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories

job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot
access parent directories

(they're from the "rebuilding locate database" section of my weekly run
output)

My users also get similar errors when logging in, changing dirs, listing
dirs, etc. It doesn't cause problems ALL the time (a plain "cd" will
make it show the correct directory in the prompt, etc) though the error
line is showed all the time.

I assume it's all do with getcwd. Anyone know why this is happening? If
so, please Cc a reply to my email address. Thanks.

Cya,

--
Matt Bruce

NB: Remove X's to email me (anti-spam)

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I'm having problems with my users (and my weekly run output) getting
> errors like:

> shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access
> parent directories

Unless somebody really removed the current working directory of the
process while it was running (which is possible), the best suspicion
would be that one of your mointpoints (like /usr) has mangled
permissions.  That's nothing you could see while something is mounted
on it.  Bott single-user, and make sure all mount points have at least
permissions 555.

--
cheers, J"org

Post by Conrad Sabati » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>> I'm having problems with my users (and my weekly run output) getting
>> errors like:

>> shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access
>> parent directories

>Unless somebody really removed the current working directory of the
>process while it was running (which is possible), the best suspicion
>would be that one of your mointpoints (like /usr) has mangled
>permissions.  That's nothing you could see while something is mounted
>on it.  Bott single-user, and make sure all mount points have at least
>permissions 555.

I had the same problem a while back after I had gone a bit overboard with
permission settings (trying to tighten security), and in addition to
correcting the permissions as Joerg says, I also modified each user's
profile (not their ~/.profile file, but their /etc info) to use
/usr/home/whatever instead of the symlink /home/whatever.  Not sure if the
latter was really necessary, though.
--
Conrad Sabatier                    | FreeBSD -- UNIX for your PC
http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads    | Why settle for less than the best?

My machine: P166+mmx, 32mb ram, 4gb HD with Win95 and Win NT 4.0 and
redhat5.1 co-existed in different partitions.

I issued "sndconfig" within a xterm inside X Window, The program
detects the SB 16 pnp card sets it up with no error message, but when
it launch ModProbe to test out, it gets a message states: An error was
encountered running the ModProbe program."  I tried different IRQ
settings, all ends with the same message.

2nd, When I try to mount /dev/cdrom from File Systerm Manager, the
following error is returned:  Can't find /dev/hdb in /etc/mtab or
/etc/fstab.

3nd, When my machine boots, it halts at "Sendmail" for about 3-5 mins
before it goes to next step.  Obviously there isn't any mail system on
the machine right now because it is a standalone.  How can take this
mail thing out and speed up booting?

last one, Is my Zoom 56k PCI FaxModem a Windmodem that Linux can't use
to connect me to my local isp?

Experts help me out please. thanks.

2. Hey COLA Moderator!!!

4. CDROM Standards

5. "syslogd: unknown priority "24" " error - won't boot!

6. TCP/IP Gateway under OS5

7. "w"(ho) causes "_setutent: Can't open utmp file"

8. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

9. what does this mean: "getcwd error: Success"?

10. Route causing ping's "operation not permitted" error

11. Could funky pppd MTU cause "unclean" and "NEW" packets?

12. HELP: "reboot" and "ctrl-alt-del" causes system to hang

13. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?