What is the most popular ssh or ssh2 and X based ftp client?

What is the most popular ssh or ssh2 and X based ftp client?

Post by hty2 » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On FreeBSD, what is the most popular ssh or ssh2 based ftp
client in X?  How do you use it seurely?  Thanks.

Post by Lukas Er » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>On FreeBSD, what is the most popular ssh or ssh2 based ftp
>client in X?  How do you use it seurely?  Thanks.

scp.

lg,
le

--
"Whip me.  Beat me.  Make me maintain AIX."

        -- Stephan Zielinski

1. enforce ftp, deny ssh, enforce ssh, deny ftp

Hello,

I want my users to have two different accounts, one for ssh and one for ftp.
Let's divide them in two groups, ssh_users and ftp_users.

The ssh_users are real users, e.g they have normal user's rights BUT may not
use ftp for connection.
The ftp_users are guest users, e.g they may only connect to ftp where they
are chroot:ed to their home_dir.

This may seem weird, but since I don't want shell owners to send passwords
using ftp clients (clear text mode) and since I couldn't come up with a
better idea, this is it. Now, how do we accomplish this nifty workaround?

ssh_users got added to /etc/ftpusers, which will deny them from accessing
ftp.
ftp_users' seventh field in /etc/passwd was changed to 'false', which means,
no shell.

Well, so far so good but it's kind of a quick-and-dirty solution to the
problem. I guess there must be some better way.

/The Wonderer

2. backing up Oracle raw devices

3. ssh and a GUI based ftp

4. xfree86 on Gateway 2300 LS laptop

5. am I using ssh2 correctly?

6. VisionFS & Win98 Help

7. Do I need a special ftp-server (not client) for SSH ?

8. Forcing a flush of stdout buffer

9. am I using SSH2 correctly

10. x based ftp client?

11. AIX Based FTP Client w/ SSL 3.0

12. Any FAQ's on SSH (and secure FTP) clients?

13. Are There Any X Based Archie Clients With FTP