Removing XFree86

Post by Death Reape » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 02:20:22

How would I go about completely removing Xfree86?

Removing XFree86

Post by John Nielse » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 02:30:07

Quote:> How would I go about completely removing Xfree86?

pkg_info
to see what X-related ports you have installed
pkg_delete portname
to delete the ports in question, probably repeated several times with
different port names.

And when that's done you can blow away /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 just to be
thorough. (i.e. "rm -rf /usr/X11R6").

JN

Removing XFree86

Post by Death Reape » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:28:37

Thankyou.

-Bill

> > How would I go about completely removing Xfree86?

> pkg_info
> to see what X-related ports you have installed
> pkg_delete portname
> to delete the ports in question, probably repeated several times with
> different port names.

> And when that's done you can blow away /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 just to be
> thorough. (i.e. "rm -rf /usr/X11R6").

> JN

Removing XFree86

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:20:37

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:20:22 GMT

DR> How would I go about completely removing Xfree86?

        The quickest way is to remove /usr/X11R6. This will leave a mess
of registered but non existent packages though, you can just rm -rf the
appropriate directories in /var/db/pkg to clean these up (you can get
a list from the +REQUIRED_BY for XFree86 or XFree86-libraries whichever
you have installed). If you use protupgrade then you will need to run
pkgdb -F too.

--
C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                    |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
                                                |   http://www.sohara.org/

1. removing xfree86 3.3.6

Hi,

I have a computer on which I've compiled (from source at
xfree86.org) xfree86 version 3.3.6.

After some hitches, I got it compiled, and it runs, sans mouse.
I'm working on that.

The real problem is that I've downloaded netscape and tried to run
it, and got an error message that it cannot find one of the shared
libraries (don't have the library name here, I'm writing this from
work).

I'd like to remove the compiled xfree, and install a binary
package, because I've used those and I know them to work.

Is it safe to just install the binary package over the
from-scratch-compiled?  I assume that all the files will just
overwrite cleanly?  Do I need to do any housekeeping?

Also, related.. if I was to remove xfree, do I just delete the
/usr/X11R6 directory, or are there other things I need to clean
up also?  I store my XF86Config in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ not in
/etc.

thanks!

--
Adam Schuetze, Mechanical Engineering Technologist
Mechanical Engineering Student, University of Victoria

2. Sun ETL 7/3500 Tape Library

3. remove XFree86 3.3.5 before installing 4

4. C Language Reference in GNU Info format?

5. Removing XFree86.

6. Making many hosts seem like one

7. Removing XFree86

8. Disk Icons disappeared in KDE 2?

9. how to remove Xfree86 installation

10. Removing funny files (Re: how do i remove a file with a ~ in it ????)

11. fdisk ... remove partition removed disk!

12. Removing funny files (Re: how do i remove a file with a ~ in it ????)

13. 2.5.40 kbuild bug: mrproper removes files it shouldn't remove