SOS: ORACLE fbsd40 HELP PLEASE

Post by NCC/ » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
for weeks I've been trying to set up ORACLE on
FreeBSD in my organisation. With no luck.

If I don't get it going soon my organisation will
choose WINDOWS NT as a platform for ORACLE.
spuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

There are rival developments being tested on
windoze as I speak.

PLEASE can someone point me towards some
info on installing ORACLE on FreeBSD 4.0

I've read the ORACLE info in the install guide
a dozen times. I've read stuff on the net about
805 installs and relinking etc etc. But I think this
was all for fbsd 3.1. It doesn't work for 4.0.

Can people point me at the best and ""current""
info for ORACLE on freeBSD please.

Getting desperate!
Don't let this contract(s) (HEAPS!!!!!!!!!) go to
the windoze NT environment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help ME.   TIA,
Paul.

National Climate Centre
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology

SOS: ORACLE fbsd40 HELP PLEASE

Post by Przemyslaw F » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> If I don't get it going soon my organisation will
> choose WINDOWS NT as a platform for ORACLE.
> spuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

> There are rival developments being tested on
> windoze as I speak.

> PLEASE can someone point me towards some
> info on installing ORACLE on FreeBSD 4.0

> I've read the ORACLE info in the install guide
> a dozen times. I've read stuff on the net about
> 805 installs and relinking etc etc. But I think this
> was all for fbsd 3.1. It doesn't work for 4.0.

> Can people point me at the best and ""current""
> info for ORACLE on freeBSD please.

> Getting desperate!
> Don't let this contract(s) (HEAPS!!!!!!!!!) go to
> the windoze NT environment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Help ME.   TIA,
> Paul.

Try to read this
http://www.scc.nl/~marcel/howto-oracle.html
Przemo

SOS: ORACLE fbsd40 HELP PLEASE

Post by NCC/ » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Try to read this
> http://www.scc.nl/~marcel/howto-oracle.html
> Przemo

No, this is almost the same as the handbook wich I have
read many times. Thanks anyway.

I just deinstalled 6.1 version of the linux compat and
installed version 5.2.  (handbook says to try this).
I then re linked the oracle binaries.

Same result: core dumps from svrmgrl and sqlplus

I can only wonder that maybe it doesn't want to go with
4.0 fbsd.  Does anyone know if it needs to be 3.? fbsd.
Or doesn't the fbsd version matter??????????

Any other advice?

thanks,

Post by Andrzej Bialeck » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>> Try to read this
>> http://www.scc.nl/~marcel/howto-oracle.html
>> Przemo
> No, this is almost the same as the handbook wich I have
> read many times. Thanks anyway.
> I just deinstalled 6.1 version of the linux compat and
> installed version 5.2.  (handbook says to try this).
> I then re linked the oracle binaries.
> Same result: core dumps from svrmgrl and sqlplus
> I can only wonder that maybe it doesn't want to go with
> 4.0 fbsd.  Does anyone know if it needs to be 3.? fbsd.
> Or doesn't the fbsd version matter??????????

Are you going to use it for *ehem* production system, or
just for fun and some development tasks? If the former, better
get Oracle on a supported platform (which means probably Linux, Solaris
or something).

Oracle on FreeBSD is still a tricky adventure, and you have to live
with some painful limitations (like lack of native libs for development).

--

Andrzej Bialecki

// -------------------------------------------------------------------
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------
// --- Small & Embedded FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/ ----

Post by Mariusz Potoc » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>> Try to read this
>> http://www.scc.nl/~marcel/howto-oracle.html
>> Przemo

> No, this is almost the same as the handbook wich I have
> read many times. Thanks anyway.

> I just deinstalled 6.1 version of the linux compat and
> installed version 5.2.  (handbook says to try this).
> I then re linked the oracle binaries.

> Same result: core dumps from svrmgrl and sqlplus

> I can only wonder that maybe it doesn't want to go with
> 4.0 fbsd.  Does anyone know if it needs to be 3.? fbsd.
> Or doesn't the fbsd version matter??????????

I have Oracle functional on 4.0R.
My system was upgraded using /stand/sysinstall from 3.4R
Try to do this: install 3.x release, install Oracle, upgrade to 4.0 release.
--
Mariusz Potocki

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?

Post by Remco Moolenaa » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > I can only wonder that maybe it doesn't want to go with
> > 4.0 fbsd.  Does anyone know if it needs to be 3.? fbsd.
> > Or doesn't the fbsd version matter??????????

Try following the handbook line by line. I do not want to be picky, but
this is absolutely necessary.
Questions:
- Is Linux installed?
- You need Linux_base and development version 5.2 installed into an
empty /compat/linux
- Did you create an oracle acount using /compat/linux/bin/bash as its
shell?
- Did you run the root.sh after the Oracle installation (it is in
$ORACLE_HOME/orainst)
- Is shared memory installed?
- Did you recreated a new kernel and rebooted?

I know, some stupid questions, but anyway.

Another remark: you can use the Linux libs to create your own Oracle
development environment. I did this for several OCI programs. I will
probably work for PHP as well!!

--

SCC Internetworking & Databases                     http://www.scc.nl/

Maintainer of the BSD Applications database at http://www.bsdapps.org/

1. SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

Hie there,

                I am a newbie to Linux and is having difficulty to configure
my Linux to enable networking.

My system is a 166MMX PC installed with Slackware 3.4

                I tried to perform the following to eable networking :

1.    did "make config" in the /usr/src/linux directoryafter I have su to
the superuser root.

2.    After completing the configuration, proceeded to set the dependencies
within the kernel and clean out old object modules by typing "make dep" then
"make clean" after the first one has been completed

3.       Next I then compiled the kernel by typing "make zImage"

What bothered me is what I saw in the last few lines of the output at the
end of the compilation which goes as follows

"Root device is (3,2)
Boot sector 512 bytes
Setup is 4336 bytes
System is 560 KB
System is too big
Make [1]:***[zImage] Error 1
Make [1]:Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/arch/i386/boot'
Make :***[zImage] Error 2 "

4.         Install the 'newly compiled kernel' by typing "make
modules_install" . The output then output was that THE FILE REQUIRED IS
MISSING. ( something about *.o)

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON. I BADLY WANT TO USE LINUX AND
REMOVE WINDOW95 FROM MY SYSTEM.

2. Connecting ZIP via TMC850 ... ?

3. How to count a specified character in a file?

4. SOS SOS SOS

5. Linux/PPP setup

6. SOS xfree86 is not working SOS please HELPPP

7. xfig-->fig2dev broken

8. SOS SOS SOS

9. SOS : PLEASE HELP

10. SOS!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

11. S.O.S.- S.O.S. Problems Installing Linux from Spain

12. SOS - question on accton - SOS