Computer Clock

Post by Paul Miseik » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:16:51

I set the computer clock to a given time and right after I set it I typed
date again to inquire if it set properly and the time had reset itself to
2019 Dec 8th.  Does anybody know what would be causing this or how it could
be solved?  I've never seen this before......

Thu Jan 24 00:14:00 EST 2002

Sun Dec  8 23:00:21 EST 2019

Computer Clock

Post by Rob MacGrego » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:25:02

> I set the computer clock to a given time and right after I set it I typed
> date again to inquire if it set properly and the time had reset itself to
> 2019 Dec 8th.  Does anybody know what would be causing this or how it could
> be solved?  I've never seen this before......

> Thu Jan 24 00:14:00 EST 2002

> Sun Dec  8 23:00:21 EST 2019

Are you running any programs that sync the time?  Check your crontab files
too...

--
  Rob MacGregor (MCSE) [PGP key ID 0x791E6573]
      The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

Question intelligently: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Computer Clock

Post by Simon Chan » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 02:43:18

This could also be due to fading CMOS battery.  I just had one machine last
night that drifted on me again, so I went out and bought a replacement
battery ($4.00 in the U.S.).

Food for thought,

Simon Chang

> I set the computer clock to a given time and right after I set it I typed
> date again to inquire if it set properly and the time had reset itself to
> 2019 Dec 8th.  Does anybody know what would be causing this or how it
could
> be solved?  I've never seen this before......

> Thu Jan 24 00:14:00 EST 2002

> Sun Dec  8 23:00:21 EST 2019

Computer Clock

Post by sam » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 01:58:50

What was the syntax you used with date ?
if you used the -v option to adjust the date all you are doing is adjusting
the date for a one time display.