System Commander problems (was Re: Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?)

System Commander problems (was Re: Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?)

Post by Duppy Conquero » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I'm having the same problem at the moment.  I've managed to get
through configuring my other items (NT, 95, DOS).

I've upgraded from 2.1.5 to 2.2.2, hoping the upgrade would shake
things loose and write a boot-sector to the drive I want to boot
FreeBSD on, but no luck.  The symptom is a pop-up dialog (presented by
System Commander at boot time) that says the boot record is bogus (or
something like that).

Of course, I can still boot off my floppy (with Boot: sd(2,a)/kernel),
so I know there's something there that's bootable.

But, I'm having trouble understanding the three choices sysinstall
gives you for boot records.  Can anyone give me a clue as to the
correct choice here if I've installed System Commander on the 1st
drive, and FreeBSD on my 3rd drive (and for what it's worth, on the
1st partition).

I used to multiboot using the NT loader using the method of compiling
a bood program from the FreeBSD src somewhere, creating a bootsec
program which I then deposited on Drive C: and then mucked with the NT
loader configuration to present the FreeBSD choice.  But along with
reorganizing my big drive 1, I changed to System Commander to take
advantage of some of the other features SC has like partition-hiding
and multiple primary partitions on a single drive.

> Hi there,  I'm wondering wether it is possible to boot freebsd
> from system commander at all?  I couldn't get it to work .  Anyone
> had the luck?
> Thanks.

Thanks
--
John Hight              hight

SRI International       sri.com

System Commander problems (was Re: Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?)

Post by ctem.. » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I'm having the same problem, but with MasterBooter (booteasy never
worked).  I install FreeBSD on my 2nd IDE, but when MasterBooter comes
up and I select FreeBSD on the second disk, I get "no bootable
partition."

When I rerun install and inspect the partition, I notice that I have
to reset the parition as bootable (the S command) every time.  I also
need to go to the disk label and redefine my mounts and toggle each
slice.

See my earlier message captioned Boot Puzzler.

Postscript...a nice guy sent me an email from my first message stating
that I needed to run bootinst.exe from the \tools directory of the
installation CD.  Did it...didn't work.

Bottom Line:  How do we get the 2nd (or 3rd) drive to remain bootable?

On 21 Oct 1997 20:30:53 GMT, Duppy Conqueror

>I'm having the same problem at the moment.  I've managed to get
>through configuring my other items (NT, 95, DOS).

>I've upgraded from 2.1.5 to 2.2.2, hoping the upgrade would shake
>things loose and write a boot-sector to the drive I want to boot
>FreeBSD on, but no luck.  The symptom is a pop-up dialog (presented by
>System Commander at boot time) that says the boot record is bogus (or
>something like that).

>Of course, I can still boot off my floppy (with Boot: sd(2,a)/kernel),
>so I know there's something there that's bootable.

>But, I'm having trouble understanding the three choices sysinstall
>gives you for boot records.  Can anyone give me a clue as to the
>correct choice here if I've installed System Commander on the 1st
>drive, and FreeBSD on my 3rd drive (and for what it's worth, on the
>1st partition).

>I used to multiboot using the NT loader using the method of compiling
>a bood program from the FreeBSD src somewhere, creating a bootsec
>program which I then deposited on Drive C: and then mucked with the NT
>loader configuration to present the FreeBSD choice.  But along with
>reorganizing my big drive 1, I changed to System Commander to take
>advantage of some of the other features SC has like partition-hiding
>and multiple primary partitions on a single drive.

>> Hi there,  I'm wondering wether it is possible to boot freebsd
>> from system commander at all?  I couldn't get it to work .  Anyone
>> had the luck?

>> Thanks.

>Thanks
>--
>John Hight          hight

>SRI International   sri.com

System Commander problems (was Re: Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?)

Post by Martin Gisc » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> But, I'm having trouble understanding the three choices sysinstall
> gives you for boot records.  Can anyone give me a clue as to the
> correct choice here if I've installed System Commander on the 1st
> drive, and FreeBSD on my 3rd drive (and for what it's worth, on the
> 1st partition).

As far as I'm aware, just choose to install the standard, not the boot
manager. I think SC even picks it up if you leave the MBR completely
untouched.If SC's been stuffed in some way, just reinstall it from the
files on the hard disk, from dos or whatever other systems you have and
it'll recover.

1. Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?

yeah, it worked for me. i didn't do anything special. here's the chain of
events...

1.      installed dos
2.      installed system commander
3.      installed win95 in the dos partition
4.      reintsalled dos (win95 deleted the dos boot record and i wanted
        system commander to boot dos or win95)
5.      installed freebsd in a freebsd partition

at this point system command recognized all 3 (dos, win95 and freebsd)

when i installed freebsd i selected "no" freebsd boot manager.

hope this helps a little.

Mike

: Hi there,  I'm wondering wether it is possible to boot freebsd
: from system commander at all?  I couldn't get it to work .  Anyone
: had the luck?

: Thanks.

2. i740

3. Installing System Commander on a preconfigured dual-boot system ?

4. Installing Linux on a 386 w/only 5Meg?

5. System Commander not booting FreeBSD

6. Is there a REAL book for BSD and some of its popular packages ?

7. X86/system commander/lost boot/can't boot

8. Microsoft's Gates Shows New Devices for Web

9. BOOT PROGRAM - System Commander Wipped out my Boot track

10. Problems setting up Slackware to boot via System Commander

11. Red Hat 7.0 Boot Problems with System Commander 2000

12. Problem in booting Linux using System Commander

13. problems to boot linux with system commander.