Kde installation Problem

Post by ¤?¥d? » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi all:

I start to use FreeBSD 2.2.5 for a month la, and want to install KDE.
However, I meet quite a lot of problem, can any one HELP me
I have downloaded some file from Internet, here are
    kdesupport
    kdelibs
    kdebase

    kdegames
    kdeutils
    kdegraphics
    kdemultimedia
    kdenetwork
    kdeadmin
[they are all  *.lsm and  *.tar]

After extract them with   tar xvzf   command, I have got so many file
extracted.
Can I use     make install    to port it ? how ?
I still need to connect to internet during installation ?

Kde installation Problem

Post by Steve O'Hara Smi » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

: Hi all:

: I start to use FreeBSD 2.2.5 for a month la, and want to install KDE.
: However, I meet quite a lot of problem, can any one HELP me
: I have downloaded some file from Internet, here are
: [they are all  *.lsm and  *.tar]

1:    Move the tar files to /usr/ports/distfiles

2:    cd /usr/ports/x11/kde

3:    make

4:    make install

5:    make clean

    It will alomost certainly be useful to be online while doing this,
you might not have all of the parts of kde and supporting libraries also
the ones you have might not be up to date. The ports build approach
will fetch all of the right files and build all of the dependencies for
you.

Kde installation Problem

Post by Tom Huki » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>: I start to use FreeBSD 2.2.5 for a month la, and want to install KDE.
>: However, I meet quite a lot of problem, can any one HELP me
>: I have downloaded some file from Internet, here are
>: [they are all  *.lsm and  *.tar]

[ports installation procedure snipped]

Quote:

>    It will alomost certainly be useful to be online while doing this,
>you might not have all of the parts of kde and supporting libraries also
>the ones you have might not be up to date. The ports build approach
>will fetch all of the right files and build all of the dependencies for
>you.

If you want to build any port offline, whilst online type:
        make fetch depends DEPENDS_TARGET=fetch

This automatically downloads any distfiles you need but don't have.
You can then build and install the ports offline. This is very
useful if you have to pay for your online time (local calls are not
free in most of the world).

Note: I believe this only works with recent versions of FreeBSD.

Regards,
Tom

1. KDE installation problem

Hi everybody,

I am trying to install KDE on a laptop with a RedHat 5.1 distribution. I
have dowloaded the following RPMs packages from www.linuxberg.com : QT 1.42,
KDE Support, KDE Libraries, KDE Base.
I have first installed Qt then tried KDE Support (Libraries requires Support
and Base requires Libraries).

The problem is that RPM says that I need libungif and libjpeg 6-5. I haven't
found libungif on my system (how do I know that easily and quickly). I have
found libjpeg 6-3.

Can anybody help me on that specific topic ?

Many thanks,

    Sami BEN GRINE

2. Internet Security Announcement

3. Weird KDE installation problem: user works, root doesn't

4. Status Errors on HDD

5. KDE installation problem

6. mail and mailx default to stdout ??

7. KDE Installation Problems