HELP: boot.flp not bringing up Install menu

HELP: boot.flp not bringing up Install menu

Post by Rohan Ober » Tue, 19 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to install FreeBSD for the first time and would
appreciate any information from Those In The Know on the
following problem:

I have a Pentium 100 Mhz 64MB RAM currently running Windoze
95.  When I try to boot off boot.flp (downloaded twice and
put on disk through rawrite.exe, didn't work either time) it
starts off all right (with the Boot: prompt) but then after a
minute or so the screen goes blank.  When I turn the monitor
off and on, I get a message on screen "Please check signal
cable" and the only place I've been able to go from there is
to reboot.  I have a Princeton Graphics EO15 monitor.

Until I get FreeBSD or Linux installed I am forced to run
Windows.  This is a cry for help.  :-)

Rohan.

HELP: boot.flp not bringing up Install menu

Post by Chris Lars » Sun, 24 Mar 1996 04:00:00

:>
[...]

What kind of video card do you have?
Have you tried Linux to see what happens?

Chris
--

Lab Assistant-Backups     Computer Science Dept.
University of Tennessee- Knoxville

Post by J Wuns » Mon, 25 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> I have a Pentium 100 Mhz 64MB RAM currently running Windoze
> 95.  When I try to boot off boot.flp (downloaded twice and
> put on disk through rawrite.exe, didn't work either time) it
> starts off all right (with the Boot: prompt) but then after a
> minute or so the screen goes blank.

Do you perchance have one of the newer Mach64 video boards?

If so, have a look at the most recent FAQ.

--
cheers, J"org

HELP: boot.flp not bringing up Install menu

Post by Tim Withe » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I had a similar problem installing FreeBSD 2.0.5 to a Pentium 100MHz 16MB.
After much hair pulling, I finally determined I had a hardware problem,
even though Windoze 3.11 ran O.K.  I proved the problem was hardware by
putting the BIOS in 'failsafe' mode - disabled internal & external cache,
non-turbo, etc.  Then FreeBSD installed fine (though deadly slow).  After
the supplier swapped CPU's, the system ran like a dream.

If you perform a manual installation (without using the installation
menus), you are more likely to see installation error messages relating to
hardware problems.  Don't ask me how to do this - it was too long ago, and
unfortunately the documentation for a manual installation is fairly sparse
now that the menu based installation is so successful (for the majority).

Tim Withers.

Rohan Oberoi
<snip>
: I have a Pentium 100 Mhz 64MB RAM currently running Windoze
: 95.  When I try to boot off boot.flp (downloaded twice and
: put on disk through rawrite.exe, didn't work either time) it
: starts off all right (with the Boot: prompt) but then after a
: minute or so the screen goes blank.  When I turn the monitor
<snip>
: Rohan.