Making Bootdisk?

Post by Jeffrey S. Shar » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

What are the steps I need to take to manually create a boot disk?

Making Bootdisk?

Post by Reinoud van Leeuw » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 06:47:15 GMT, "Jeffrey S. Sharp"

>What are the steps I need to take to manually create a boot disk?

see step 4 of http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html
"Nothing is as subjective as reality"

http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud

1. Making bootdisks with lilo

For some reason or another I can't make boot disks with lilo anymore.
When I had kernel 1.1.12 and lilo 1.14(?), making boot disks was an easy
task.  However, when I went up to kernel 1.1.27, Linux won't mount the
root file system if it is a floppy... I tried booting of my hard disk
with
linux boot:  linux root=/dev/fd0
it would load the kernel and panic when it can not read the floppy
drive.  The drive can be mounted when my root fs is my hard disk without
any problems.  The kernel reports that there are "Floppy read error
0x51(? -- I don't remember the exact error message/number)" before if
finally panics and dies when trying to mount root floppies.  Anyone know
what's going on?
Thanks in advance
-bc

2. Adding a dumb terminal: isn't it so hard?

3. problem making bootdisk under 2.6.

4. segmentation fault (core dumped): What does this really mean?

5. Making bootdisk

6. 8514 X11 problems

7. Kernel panic "unable to load root fs"/making bootdisk

8. The better Linux distribution??

9. Making Bootdisk

10. HELP !! Trouble making bootdisk in LS120 drive

11. Help making bootdisk

12. Making bootdisk & rootdisk

13. Help making bootdisk for install