Group membership

Post by Robert Wallan » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:57:06

Hi,

I'm a begginer in unix and freebsd and i have a simple question.

on the begining of the group name.

thanx

Group membership

Post by walt » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 00:59:40

> Hi,

> I'm a begginer in unix and freebsd and i have a simple question.

> on the begining of the group name.

Hmm.  I'm not sure what you are asking.  Your membership in groups is
determined by the contents of the /etc/group file.

e.g. to be a member of the group 'wheel' the administrator must add
your login name to the appropriate line in /etc/group:

wheel:*:0:root,walland  (or whatever your login name is.)

You can be added to whatever group your admin thinks might be appropriate,
and new groups can be created as needed.

Group membership

Post by Drew Laws » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 04:31:54

>> Hi,

>> I'm a begginer in unix and freebsd and i have a simple question.

>> on the begining of the group name.

>Hmm.  I'm not sure what you are asking.  Your membership in groups is
>determined by the contents of the /etc/group file.

I believe that he is looking for something like:
  team1:bill, sally, joe
  team2:fred, susan, kathy, kaga
  programmers: team1, team2

And, no you can't do that.
I suppose you could come up with a tool that takes something like
that and generates a group file as output.

--
Drew Lawson            | "Look!  A big distracting thing!"

http://www.furrfu.com/ |

Group membership

Post by Bill Vermilli » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 13:44:35

>>> Hi,
>>> I'm a begginer in unix and freebsd and i have a simple question.

>>> placed on the begining of the group name.

Having a group be a member of another group somewhat defeats the

in the ftpusers but not in groups.

Quote:>>Hmm.  I'm not sure what you are asking.  Your membership in groups is
>>determined by the contents of the /etc/group file.
>I believe that he is looking for something like:
>  team1:bill, sally, joe
>  team2:fred, susan, kathy, kaga
>  programmers: team1, team2

Just a head up here.  Spaces are not permitted in the groups. Comma
separations only.

Group membership

Post by Mina » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 05:39:23

yes there is.

Is called netgroup(5)

which this u can create whatever group u like and then use the groups to
create other groups.

It is extended to cover not only users, but computers as well.

e.g.

U have to be carefull with the syntax however.

Group membership

Post by Jed Clea » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 08:38:17

I think Sun's NIS (yp) had something that worked like that called a
netgroup.  Not sure if this is in the FreeBSD NIS implementation.

> >> Hi,

> >> I'm a begginer in unix and freebsd and i have a simple question.

> >> on the begining of the group name.

> >Hmm.  I'm not sure what you are asking.  Your membership in groups is
> >determined by the contents of the /etc/group file.

> I believe that he is looking for something like:
>   team1:bill, sally, joe
>   team2:fred, susan, kathy, kaga
>   programmers: team1, team2

> And, no you can't do that.
> I suppose you could come up with a tool that takes something like
> that and generates a group file as output.

> --
> Drew Lawson            | "Look!  A big distracting thing!"

> http://www.furrfu.com/ |

1. Group membership for a group

Hello,

my question is: Is there any possibility for a group do be a Part of
an other group?

For example:
The group "Chiefs" should be part of the group "Employees".

Is this possible or have I add the username of the group chiefs to the
group employees????

Thx.
Marty

2. WinKey stopped working after XConfigurator

3. Group membership problem

4. Alpha and Quake

5. How to do automatic group membership?

6. unload a module

7. More than 32 group membership problem

8. help

9. group memberships

10. file permissions & group membership when uploading files via FTP

11. Problem with multi-group membership? SOLVED

12. Group Membership

13. add a group membership to all users