Garbled log lines in nightly email

Post by Lilith E » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Starting earlier this week, the nightly status emails on my
FreeBSD 3.2 box have been containing a garbled entry for the
first line or two of the important syslog summary portion of
the message.  For example, here is the first line of this
morning's log:

   my.machine.name.here kernel log messages:
   > , uid 1102: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

I know where this line came from -- this is part of a valid
event line from about a week ago.  Similarly, previous emails
have contained scraps of phantom lines from earlier days.
These lines do not appear in /var/log/messages (which has
been rotated since then).  The broken lines are always the
first one or two lines of this section of the nightly email.
They do not repeat the next night (i.e., new phantom line(s)
each night).  Where is this garbage coming from?  What does
it signify?  How do I fix it?

Thank you for any help that you might be able to provide....

--

(Not a spam filter, it really is there twice)

I've setup a FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE box to connect a network to the internet
with natd and ipfw firewall.
I've also setup the FreeBSD box to let teleworkers log in with FTP and
telnet.

Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who connect
to the machine from the internet.
I woul like to see the time and IP numer from which users Log-in.

I have looked at the /var/log/messages file but this only shows SU Login's.

All help is greatly appriciated!

Luke

2. Q: CDE: dtksh compatibility ?

3. Installation from rh 7 cd has partially garbled display...then linux gui is totally garbled display

4. LVM1.0

5. Umlaut garbled in email

6. BGP on Linux

7. Screen garbled on dialin line (Help!)

8. Hardware list

9. e-mail subject line and text in single command line

10. View log of Startup garble...

11. E-Mail E-Mail E-Mail

12. extract email from text file and send an email to the email address

13. Linux permanent Line (connection two linux machines over a leased line (permanent telephone line)