Boot managers for W95/DOS/Win311 and OS/2 and FreeBSD/Linux

Boot managers for W95/DOS/Win311 and OS/2 and FreeBSD/Linux

Post by Axel Thi » Fri, 05 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hello,
I'd like to know more about how to manage multiple OSes on my PC. Are
there any FAQs for partitions/MBRs and booting sequences and for the
available boot managers? I'd like to configure my system as general as
possible and would like to prevent some mistakes beforehand.
Thank you in advance,
        Axel Thimm.
===

Freie Universitaet Berlin
===

Boot managers for W95/DOS/Win311 and OS/2 and FreeBSD/Linux

Post by Roderick W. Smi » Fri, 05 Apr 1996 04:00:00

04 Apr 1996 02:11:37 GMT writes:

Quote:

> Hello,
> I'd like to know more about how to manage multiple OSes on my PC. Are
> there any FAQs for partitions/MBRs and booting sequences and for the
> available boot managers? I'd like to configure my system as general as
> possible and would like to prevent some mistakes beforehand.

I don't know of any FAQs specifically on boot managers, but this topic is
covered to a greater or lesser extent in one or more FAQs for many specific
OSes.

I'm familiar with OS/2, Linux, and DOS.  There may be additional quirks with
other OSes, and of course other OSes may have other boot utilities; but I'd
suggest this:

1) With those three OSes, use OS/2's Boot Manager as the main boot
   utility.  This requires setting aside a separate 1MB primary
   partition on your first physical disk.  Normally this isn't a big
   deal, since most OSes (DOS and Win95 being exceptions) can boot
   from extended/logical partitions just fine.
2) Again with these OSes, use LILO as a secondary boot utility for
   Linux only (Linux requires either this or using a floppy to boot
   Linux).  LILO is therefore installed on the *Linux* partition, not
   on the disk's MBR.
3) Install Linux and OS/2 on extended/logical partitions.  DOS (or
   Win95) must go on a primary, and often on the first physical disk
   (this apparently varies from version to version).
4) Partition the disk so that ascending drive letters (as seen from
   DOS or OS/2) use filesystems with less generality -- that is, put
   all FAT partitions before all HPFS partitions, since DOS can't
   see HPFS without special drivers; and put Linux ext2 partitions
   after both FAT and HPFS partitions, since neither DOS nor OS/2
   can see ext2 without special drivers.  This keeps drive lettering
   consistent between OSes (for those which use drive letters; Linux
   doesn't, for instance).
5) In general, it's best to use the FDISK program for a given OS to
   create any partition(s) that are to be used primarily with that
   OS.  One exception I know of:  Use OS/2's FDISK to create your
   Linux partitions; OS/2 seems to occasionally get confused by
   partitions created by at least some versions of Linux's fdisk.
6) Format any partitions that are to become boot partitions from
   OS/2 before formatting them something else.  OS/2 will sometimes
   refuse to add partitions to Boot Manager if they've not been
   formatted from OS/2.  (You can reformat them to another filesystem
   later.)

> Freie Universitaet Berlin
> ===

                                        --Rod Smith

                                          http://psych.colorado.edu/~rsmith

Boot managers for W95/DOS/Win311 and OS/2 and FreeBSD/Linux

Post by Louis Schmittro » Fri, 05 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Here is what I did.  YMMV.

I do now have OS/2, Win95, and a separate DOS partition, all running happily
on my P90 with 1.0GB drive here at home, thanks to OS/2 Boot Manager, and
the use of Partition Magic to adjust partition size and boundaries.  Larry
Margolis of IBM was most helpful in the process.  But it is not as simple
as it sounds above.
Briefly:

1. Make a partition of the right size.  Mine: 300 MB at the end of
my OS/2 and DOS partitions.  Use OS/2 fdisk to label it Primary.
Also mark it bootable and add it to BOOT Manager.
2. Use OS/2 fisk to Assign this partition (temporarily) C: dirve.
3. Boot DOS from the floppy. Format C:
4. Install DOS on that partition, and install your CDROM drivers from
the kit you have.
5. Boot from C:, and you will be in DOS in your Win95 partition.
6.  Install Win95.
7. Then, here is what I did.  Boot OS/2 from floppies.  Use fdisk to
mark Boot Manager partition as startable, since Gates, Inc., disables
the partition as Win 95 is installed.
8. Next you shutdown from anywhere and boot, you will be in Boot Manager
and can choose.

Oh yes, in my case I also re-labelled my old DOS partition C drive.
But Win95 happily boots from Boot Manager after a shutdown from either
DOS or OS/2.

Someone may have a simpler scheme.

--

NW 1/4 18 67 21 W4 Alberta.

Boot managers for W95/DOS/Win311 and OS/2 and FreeBSD/Linux

Post by Wilhelm Wienema » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

On Thu, 04 Apr 1996 02:11:37 GMT in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
: Hello,
: I'd like to know more about how to manage multiple OSes on my PC. Are
: there any FAQs for partitions/MBRs and booting sequences and for the
: available boot managers? I'd like to configure my system as general as
: possible and would like to prevent some mistakes beforehand.
: Thank you in advance,
:       Axel Thimm.

Hi Axel!

On my HD I'm using DOS/Win3.11, OS/2 and LINUX in different
partitions. For all OS I use the OS/2 Boot-Manager without
any problems.

If you have further questions mail me.

ciao,

--
\_\_\       /_/_/ | Wilhelm Wienemann, Amselweg 10, D-47546 Kalkar/Germany

  \_\_\/\\/_/_/   |"Es gibt Kamele mit einem Hoecker und welche mit zweien.
   \__/\___/_/    | Aber die groessten haben gar keinen." (A. Schopenhauer)

Boot managers for W95/DOS/Win311 and OS/2 and FreeBSD/Linux

Post by David M. Fogart » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I too use the OS/2 boot manager.  The worst problem I had was Win95
setting its own partition active thus bypassing the OS/2 Boot Manager.
This was easily remedied by running fdisk and setting the boot manager
partition active.

The only thing to look out for as far as partitioning as generally as
possible is whether to choose Primary or Extended for partition types.
Primary partitions generally can not be seen from other Primary
partitions.

eg:  DOS (Or Win95) partition as Primary, OS/2 as primary;  You will
not see the DOS partition from OS/2.  With DOS as Primary and OS/2 as
extended you can see the dos drive under OS/2.

One other major thing to look out for....  After installing OS/2's
boot manager (assuming that is what you go with...) be sure to install
DOS next if you intend to have one.  Most versions of DOS are rather
silly and insist on formatting any partitions they cannot read.  I was
given a choice of Formatting my FreeBSD drive or quitting.... Bummer!
:)

Good luck!!

-Dave

Boot managers for W95/DOS/Win311 and OS/2 and FreeBSD/Linux

Post by Eric Gis » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I too use the OS/2 boot manager.  The worst problem I had was Win95
>setting its own partition active thus bypassing the OS/2 Boot Manager.
>This was easily remedied by running fdisk and setting the boot manager
>partition active.

I think the latest Linux LILO can now boot from different DOS-OS/2 partitions
(in addition to multiple Linux partitions). Is anyone using this feature?

Quote:>The only thing to look out for as far as partitioning as generally as
>possible is whether to choose Primary or Extended for partition types.
>Primary partitions generally can not be seen from other Primary
>partitions.

>eg:  DOS (Or Win95) partition as Primary, OS/2 as primary;  You will
>not see the DOS partition from OS/2.  With DOS as Primary and OS/2 as
>extended you can see the dos drive under OS/2.

What exactly are the rules for multiple DOS primary partitions? I always use
Linux fdisk for partitioning, and have two primary DOS partitions (first one
active). DOS 6-7 and Win95 have no problems with this, I always have C: and
D:. Would C: disappear if D: were active? It is a BIOS issue rather than OS?

Boot managers for W95/DOS/Win311 and OS/2 and FreeBSD/Linux

Post by Darwin J. Sano » Fri, 10 May 1996 04:00:00

For maximum flexibility get two physical drives.
Your primary (if IDE) is used for partitioning for different operating systems.  Use OS/2 boot manager since it
is the only one that really is operating system independant.
Format the second drive as FAT and install all of your programs and data on it.
This will allow you to format and repartition the daylights out of your operating system play drive.
You will need to re-install applications in each OS to have them work properly, but if you do not have a lot of
customizations you can simply install them over and over in same directory on the second drive.

The only tricky part is that the second drive drive letter will jump around depending on the order of
partitions and their file system format on the first drive.  For instance NT recognize NTFS, HPFS and FAT, but
win 3.1 only sees FAT.

                                               __     _
Darwin J. Sanoy                           ____/ /    (_)   _____
Integrated Systems Consulting Group      / __  /    / /   / ___/
Wayne, PA                               / /_/ /_   / /_  (__  )_
________________________________________\__,_/(_)_/ /(_)/____/(_)

Post by Scott Ratli » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

: Hello,
: I'd like to know more about how to manage multiple OSes on my PC. Are
: there any FAQs for partitions/MBRs and booting sequences and for the
: available boot managers? I'd like to configure my system as general as
: possible and would like to prevent some mistakes beforehand.
: Thank you in advance,
:       Axel Thimm.

Quite frankly every boot manager is lacking in one respect or another but
I have found the best all-purpose one is System Commander.  But it costs
about $50-60.  As for the free ones, I've kinda liked osbs the best except
of the fact it won't allow the booting off of a secondary drive.  I believe
OS/2's allows you to do this but it doesn't hang too well with all of
the unix system's I've installed, especially UnixWare.

Scott Ratliff
Systems Engineer
CARS Information Systems Corp.

Post by Brian Some » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

: : Hello,
: : I'd like to know more about how to manage multiple OSes on my PC. Are
: : there any FAQs for partitions/MBRs and booting sequences and for the
: : available boot managers? I'd like to configure my system as general as
: : possible and would like to prevent some mistakes beforehand.
: : Thank you in advance,
: :       Axel Thimm.

: Quite frankly every boot manager is lacking in one respect or another but
: I have found the best all-purpose one is System Commander.  But it costs
: about $50-60.  As for the free ones, I've kinda liked osbs the best except
: of the fact it won't allow the booting off of a secondary drive.  I believe
: OS/2's allows you to do this but it doesn't hang too well with all of
: the unix system's I've installed, especially UnixWare.

OSBS20B8.EXE boots off a second disk.  OS/2 boot manager boots FreeBSD.

I would advise using OS/2's boot manager unless you're doing things from
scratch.  If you install OS/2 with a boot manager, it doesn't seem to
work when booted from anything else.  If you install it without, osbs
can boot it.

I have OS/2 & Win95 booting from OS/2's manager at the moment.  I've had
FreeBSD and DOS booting from it.  You probably don't want to boot both
DOS & Win95 - just press F8 after selecting Win95 and boot dos that way.
You get to share your C: drive with Win95.  You can probably even boot
OS/2, Win95 and DOS from the same partition !  The only problem there is
you miss the 'what do you want to boot' option.

: Scott Ratliff
: Systems Engineer
: CARS Information Systems Corp.

Boot managers for W95/DOS/Win311 and OS/2 and FreeBSD/Linux

Post by Andrew Colem » Fri, 24 May 1996 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>I have OS/2 & Win95 booting from OS/2's manager at the moment.  I've had
>FreeBSD and DOS booting from it.  You probably don't want to boot both
>DOS & Win95 - just press F8 after selecting Win95 and boot dos that way.
>You get to share your C: drive with Win95.  You can probably even boot
>OS/2, Win95 and DOS from the same partition !  The only problem there is
>you miss the 'what do you want to boot' option.

But what about NT? Any way to get it working with OS/2's boot manager
without having to go through a second menu in the 95 partition?

Any solutions appreciated. Thanks.

___________
Rev Andrew P Coleman
PGP public key at http://www.mindspring.com/~androo/pubkey.html
Kierkegaard: Only in contrast is there freedom.

Boot managers for W95/DOS/Win311 and OS/2 and FreeBSD/Linux

Post by Brian Some » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

: [snip]

: >I have OS/2 & Win95 booting from OS/2's manager at the moment.  I've had
: >FreeBSD and DOS booting from it.  You probably don't want to boot both
: >DOS & Win95 - just press F8 after selecting Win95 and boot dos that way.
: >You get to share your C: drive with Win95.  You can probably even boot
: >OS/2, Win95 and DOS from the same partition !  The only problem there is
: >you miss the 'what do you want to boot' option.

: But what about NT? Any way to get it working with OS/2's boot manager
: without having to go through a second menu in the 95 partition?

: Any solutions appreciated. Thanks.

I'll see if I can get him to stick OSBS on his system - that'll do it all
if it does NT.

: ___________

Post by SeVe » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

>>I have OS/2 & Win95 booting from OS/2's manager at the moment.  I've had
>>FreeBSD and DOS booting from it.  You probably don't want to boot both
>>DOS & Win95 - just press F8 after selecting Win95 and boot dos that way.
>>You get to share your C: drive with Win95.  You can probably even boot
>>OS/2, Win95 and DOS from the same partition !  The only problem there is
>>you miss the 'what do you want to boot' option.

>But what about NT? Any way to get it working with OS/2's boot manager
>without having to go through a second menu in the 95 partition?

>Any solutions appreciated. Thanks.

well if you're willing to spend some money, get a boot manager called System
Commander. This is the most robust boot manager I've ever seen or used. It is
very easily customized. I think the latest ver is 2.28. I'm using 2.12 and it's
so stable that I have not upgraded.

NXX-1701E               _____       _____                   |
om A ?Q !! ____       /-----`-----'--.--`---...____        |Net Surfer &
  _________/___/_______|_|==|===|=====|=====|===|===`       |Trekkie.
 (_________________LL<_)    `---`-..__|__..-'---'           |
      ,/   /_------' . .   ,--'                             |
    _/    (             `./  "Risk is part of the game if   |
   '----------_ -  -  - _/    you want to sit in that chair"|
               `~~~~~~~`               James T. Kirk        |
                                       Star Trek Generations|

1. Boot managers for W95/DOS/Win311 and OS/2 and FreeBSD/Linux

es:
=-=
=-=Hello,
=-=I'd like to know more about how to manage multiple OSes on my PC. Are
=-=there any FAQs for partitions/MBRs and booting sequences and for the
=-=available boot managers? I'd like to configure my system as general as
=-=possible and would like to prevent some mistakes beforehand.
=-=Thank you in advance,

I think in your case the best way is to study several Linux-HOWTO's, which
are available on sunsite or other ftp-sites.
e.g. there is a WIN95/Linux - Howto which handles this topic or the LILO -
Howto which is more general but also answers your question.

Hope this helps,
 Olli
Oliver Jung          | work: Tel. 0231 / 5599-306
Fritz-Funke-Str.52   |       FAX  0231 / 5599-100

Tel.: 0231 / 9173193 |
FAX : 0231 / 9173194 |

2. dev/nvram

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. weird network interface

5. Setting Up Linux with Boot Manager,OS/2, NT, DOS

6. Character Mapping..

7. Help with linux, dos, and os2 using lilo or os/2 boot manager.

8. chroot and which version of linux do I have?

9. DOS, OS/2, Linux on WD 4Gig drive w/Boot Manager

10. How can i use OS/2 Boot Manager for OS/2 & Linux???

11. Linux, OS/2, and Os/2's Boot Manager

12. OS/2 and DOS, now want NETBSD on 2nd HD using boot manager

13. Booting LINUX from the OS/2 Boot manager