install on different system (2nd HD->1st HD)

install on different system (2nd HD->1st HD)

Post by Mathias Koerbe » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 21:05:35

I want to install FreeBSD 4.5(!) on one system (second or
third HD, I think that would be ad1 or ad2) and then
move that disk to the system it will live in as ad0.

The installation manual says that the default
kernel config is to name disks based on where they
are physically located rather than their order.

Would someone be able to advise me how I should
go about configuring the kernel for the
installation such that it sees the third disk
as ad0 and installs everything on that disk
and that later when the disk is moved to the target
system it still works?

I will likely only use a single primary partition for
FreeBSD as Linux is already living on that disk and
needs to stay available for dual-boot.

any help is appreciated
Mathias

install on different system (2nd HD->1st HD)

Post by Nathan Kinkad » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 00:49:53

On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 20:05:35 +0800

> I want to install FreeBSD 4.5(!) on one system (second or
> third HD, I think that would be ad1 or ad2) and then
> move that disk to the system it will live in as ad0.

> The installation manual says that the default
> kernel config is to name disks based on where they
> are physically located rather than their order.

> Would someone be able to advise me how I should
> go about configuring the kernel for the
> installation such that it sees the third disk
> as ad0 and installs everything on that disk
> and that later when the disk is moved to the target
> system it still works?

> I will likely only use a single primary partition for
> FreeBSD as Linux is already living on that disk and
> needs to stay available for dual-boot.

I think that what you are talking about is a non-issue.  The ATA driver
will scan for devices on boot and assign device numbers sequentially as
it finds them....in other words, primary master might be ad0, while
primary slave might be ad1, secondary master at ad2, etc....So what you
are talking about should happen automatically.  When you are installing
FreeBSD you will have the option to specify on what disk at what slice
(DOS partition) you would like to install.  So, if when you install the
disk is at ad2 slice 2, for example, then you move the disk to another
machine as the first disk it should then be showing up at ad0 slice 2.
The only problem you might have is when it comes to the master boot
record (MBR).  You are talking about dual booting with Linux.  Are you
using LILO or GRUB?  If so, then, when prompted, just instruct the
FreeBSD installer to only make an MBR entry, not to install a boot
loader - LILO or GRUB should pick up this entry and offer you to boot to
it.  Otherwise, install the FreeBSD boot loader, and it, as well, should
offer you options for each bootable entry it sees in the MBR.

Post by Edward Ned Harve » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:37:42

> I want to install FreeBSD 4.5(!) on one system (second or
> third HD, I think that would be ad1 or ad2) and then
> move that disk to the system it will live in as ad0.

> The installation manual says that the default
> kernel config is to name disks based on where they
> are physically located rather than their order.

> Would someone be able to advise me how I should
> go about configuring the kernel for the
> installation such that it sees the third disk
> as ad0 and installs everything on that disk
> and that later when the disk is moved to the target
> system it still works?

> I will likely only use a single primary partition for
> FreeBSD as Linux is already living on that disk and
> needs to stay available for dual-boot.

> any help is appreciated
> Mathias

All you have to do is this:
Install onto the secondary disk, ad1 or whatever.
Just before you move that disk to primary master, edit /etc/fstab and
change all the ad1's to ad0's.

That's it.