How to run the X-Server & FREEBSD as an Internet Server.

How to run the X-Server & FREEBSD as an Internet Server.

Post by Andrew G Dickinso » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Dear All,
        Hello there, I am new to this forumn and would like to post a
question in regard to FREEBSD. In the past I have tried installing the
AUGUST 1996 "CDROM.COM" CDROM which I have subscribed to. The
installation goes okay, until I try to start the X-server which then
causes no end of problems. Is there any files any where which explain
what I should do?

        I am also interested in using FREEBSD as a frontage to an
Internet scheme with the Company which I work for. Does anyone have
experience of setting up and using FREEBSD as a Mail Server, and WEB
Server.

        Any help would be appreciated.
--
Andrew G*inson
Welwyn Systems Limited

How to run the X-Server & FREEBSD as an Internet Server.

Post by Bryan Oga » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Dear All,
>        Hello there, I am new to this forumn and would like to post a
>question in regard to FREEBSD. In the past I have tried installing the
>AUGUST 1996 "CDROM.COM" CDROM which I have subscribed to. The
>installation goes okay, until I try to start the X-server which then
>causes no end of problems. Is there any files any where which explain
>what I should do?

Hm.  I believe there is information on setting up xfree86, the X server
that comes with freebsd. Try http://www.veryComputer.com/
there.

Quote:>        I am also interested in using FREEBSD as a frontage to an
>Internet scheme with the Company which I work for. Does anyone have
>experience of setting up and using FREEBSD as a Mail Server, and WEB
>Server.

There are quite a few people around here who have experience with FreeBSD
as a http and mail server.  FreeBSD comes with sendmail installed by
default, which will (with proper network connectivity) let you send and
receive email.  Install and configure Apache (or another http server) to
allow it to be a web server.  The easiest way to do this is by installing
the package of Apache from ftp.freebsd.org .  More information on Apache
is available from http://www.veryComputer.com/

--

Post by Ken Bigelo » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Dear All,
>         Hello there, I am new to this forumn and would like to post a
> question in regard to FREEBSD. In the past I have tried installing the
> AUGUST 1996 "CDROM.COM" CDROM which I have subscribed to. The
> installation goes okay, until I try to start the X-server which then
> causes no end of problems. Is there any files any where which explain
> what I should do?

Did you run xf86config to set it up for your hardware?

Quote:

>         I am also interested in using FREEBSD as a frontage to an
> Internet scheme with the Company which I work for. Does anyone have
> experience of setting up and using FREEBSD as a Mail Server, and WEB
> Server.

I use Apache (currently 1.1.1) for my httpd server; it works fine
straight out of the package for general use, or you can go to
http://www.apache.org to get the source and further info.

If you want to run a POP server, get qpop from packages-current at the
FreeBSD ftp site. It works fine even in 2.1R, except you need to set up
a symlink to point libc.so.3.0 to libc.so.2.2 .

I hope this helps.
--
Ken

Are you interested in   |
byte-sized education    |   http://www.play-hookey.com
over the Internet?      |

How to run the X-Server & FREEBSD as an Internet Server.

Post by t.. » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Dear All,
>        Hello there, I am new to this forumn and would like to post a
>question in regard to FREEBSD. In the past I have tried installing the
>AUGUST 1996 "CDROM.COM" CDROM which I have subscribed to. The
>installation goes okay, until I try to start the X-server which then
>causes no end of problems. Is there any files any where which explain
>what I should do?

>        I am also interested in using FREEBSD as a frontage to an
>Internet scheme with the Company which I work for. Does anyone have
>experience of setting up and using FREEBSD as a Mail Server, and WEB
>Server.

The book "Installing and Running FreeBSD" has instructions for setting up
X that are fairly good.  My only complaint is I want to run my system in
1024x768, not 640x480 with a so-called "virtual screen of 1024x768" that scrolls
around like a drunken sailor when you move the rodent, and I havent figured out
how to do this yet.  (of course I haven't spent any time trying to fix it but hey :-))

I am currently doing a series on using FreeBSD as a mail server, look on
http://www.computerbits.com the first article is in the January issue, and there
has been one a month since then.

How to run the X-Server & FREEBSD as an Internet Server.

Post by Bryan Oga » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>The book "Installing and Running FreeBSD" has instructions for setting up
>X that are fairly good.  My only complaint is I want to run my system in
>1024x768, not 640x480 with a so-called "virtual screen of 1024x768" that
>scrolls around like a drunken sailor when you move the rodent, and I
>havent figured out how to do this yet.  (of course I haven't spent any
>time trying to fix it but hey :-))

Keyboard way:  Hit control-alt-"+" (the plus key).  I think it needs to be
the one on the numeric keypad, and you may have to do it more than once.

File way: edit your XF86Config file.  I don't remember much about this.