Problems with my Mitsumi FX001D under the latest versions of FreeBSD

Problems with my Mitsumi FX001D under the latest versions of FreeBSD

Post by Tony Byr » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm having severe problems with accessing my Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM
since upgrading from FreeBSD 2.1.0 to the latest SNAPS.

All I'm getting is

mcd0a: Timeout while reading

style messages every time I try to read a file larger than about a K
from a CD-ROM.  This problem occured during the initial install,
necessitating an install from a DOS partition and has remained despite
the fact that I rebuilt the kernel, removed all other non-essential
cards from my machine, fiddled with the jumber settings of the board
and the kernel configuration.  None of the above made the slightest
bit of difference.

Any ideas?  Has anybody else had this problem?  The driver source
looks relatively straight-forward, I may have a go at hacking it..

Tony.

Tony Byrne, Swords, County Dublin, Rep. Of Ireland.

http://www.internet-ireland.ie/byrnehq
C programmers do it with long pointers.

Post by Jordan K. Hubbar » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I'm having severe problems with accessing my Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM
> since upgrading from FreeBSD 2.1.0 to the latest SNAPS.

Yeah, it looks like something broke it and this driver is for a device
so old that nobody I know personally has one anymore!  I've received one
other report from a user saying his FX001D no longer works in 2.1.5, so
it must have been something we did after 2.1.

Quote:> Any ideas?  Has anybody else had this problem?  The driver source
> looks relatively straight-forward, I may have a go at hacking it..

If you do, please let us know what you come up with!  Oh, and next time
you're in Malahide, have a shrimp curry for me at the local indian
there. :-)
--
- Jordan Hubbard
  President, FreeBSD Project

1. FreeBSD 2.1.5 and Mitsumi FX001D Double speed CD-ROM.

I'm in the process of installing FreeBSD from CD.  It does not
recognize mcd0.  I changed the i/o address to 310 and the boot does
recognize mcd0 with the proper settings, but when I select CD as the
source it says that the CD-ROM does not exist.  I could install from
DOS, but I would rather install from teh CD.

Also, the book 'The Complete FreeBSD' refers to making a boot disk for
IDE CD-ROM drives, but the file ATAPI.FLP is not found in the
directory FLOPPIES.  I really have no idea if this is an IDE CD or
not.  Any ideas where this file is?  Ive searched the CD for it.

2. Permissions Question ppp

3. Q: How do I get from the latest stable kernel version to the latest prepatch version ?

4. Virtual Hosts

5. Mitsumi FX001D - no boot disk works - solved the problem!

6. route problem.. kernel/driver ?

7. Problem with Mitsumi CD-ROM Drive FX001D

8. Password history files and Linux............

9. Mitsumi FX001D and Linux problem

10. Problem with Mitsumi FX001D CDROM on SoundBlaster MCD16

11. Problem with mounting Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM during installation of Slackware 2.0

12. 1.1.94 Kernel +NCR810 + Quantum LPS540 + Mitsumi 2x FX001D Problem

13. Funny Problems with Mitsumi FX001D