Samba for beginners?

Post by Glen » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

Have you looked for the new Samba book -  'Samba: Integrating UNIX and
Windows'.

I am unable to tell the author, but the ISBN # is: 1-57831-006-7 & published
by SSC.

Try: www.ssc.com or www.clbooks.com

Regards..

>> Are there any beginner level tutorials for getting Samba up and
>> configured?  I've been tasked with setting things up so that the home
>> directories on our 2.2.5 FreeBSD box can be mapped as drives on our
>> win95 workstations.

>> I've messed with Samba a little bit, but I wasn't able to grasp the
>> fine points of getting it configured just so.  If anyone can point out
>> some good step-by-step instructional material, that would be really
>> great.

>> Thanks,
>> -Scott

>The only examples I know of are in the man pages and the .conf files
>provided with the package...you will have to look for them don't remember
>where they originate. however if you want I could send you a copy of mine
>which include automounting shared floppies and cd-roms and sharing a fax
>device(although I haven't gotten the fax thing all worked out yet).

Samba for beginners?

Post by Tim Whi » Fri, 08 May 1998 04:00:00

>Have you looked for the new Samba book -  'Samba: Integrating UNIX and
>Windows'.

  By Samba Team member John Blair. Great book. The book goes into all aspects of

 Windows networking , downloading and compiling, and building your configurat-
 ion files. The book comes with source code and the complete archives of the
 Samba distribution site..the cd also contains precompiled binaries for common
 flavors of Unix.

Tim White                       Open Systems Administrative Services

(803)-561-6464                  Columbia, SC 29211

Remove the X's to email.

Samba for beginners?

Post by Yoni Bar-Lavi » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

> Have you looked for the new Samba book -  'Samba: Integrating UNIX and
> Windows'.

> I am unable to tell the author, but the ISBN # is: 1-57831-006-7 & published
> by SSC.

> Try: www.ssc.com or www.clbooks.com

> Regards..

> >> Are there any beginner level tutorials for getting Samba up and
> >> configured?  I've been tasked with setting things up so that the home
> >> directories on our 2.2.5 FreeBSD box can be mapped as drives on our
> >> win95 workstations.

> >> I've messed with Samba a little bit, but I wasn't able to grasp the
> >> fine points of getting it configured just so.  If anyone can point out
> >> some good step-by-step instructional material, that would be really
> >> great.

> >> Thanks,
> >> -Scott

> >The only examples I know of are in the man pages and the .conf files
> >provided with the package...you will have to look for them don't remember
> >where they originate. however if you want I could send you a copy of mine
> >which include automounting shared floppies and cd-roms and sharing a fax
> >device(although I haven't gotten the fax thing all worked out yet).

The magic is in the smb.conf file. once you successfully 'make install' the
samba - all you have to do is:a) set /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services to the
right properties (appears in the installation manual)
b) set /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf right. (copy the sample and edit it - it's
easy)
c) put the freebsd's IP in the win95 machine's c:\windows\hosts and
c:\windows\lmhosts files.
c) kill -HUP <whatever inetd's pid>
d) try to map the freebsd machine's disk (you might need to use \\<freebsd's
IP>\<homedir> as the server's identification) the win95 machine is not likely to
find the freebsd machine smoothly.

these are portions of my digital ALPHA machine's files that runs samba:
-- /etc/services
netbios-ns      137/udp                 # samba server udp (yoni 2-4-1997)
netbios-ssn     139/tcp                 # samba server tcp (yoni 2-4-1997)
-- end of /etc/services
-- /etc/inetd.conf
# netbios support (yoni 2-4-1997)
netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd smbd
netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd nmbd
-- end of /etc/inetd.conf
-- /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
[global]
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   guest account = pcguest
   log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m
   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   share modes = yes

workgroup = GIS

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0775

[gisdir]
   comment = Gis Group Space
   path = /usr/users/
   public = yes
   writable = no
   printable = no

   create mask = 0775
-- end of /usr/loca/samba/lib/smb.conf

have fun and good luck
Without C we'd probably be programming in PASAL or BASI
----------

GIS programmer - Jerusalem Municipality - ISRAEL

Samba for beginners?

Post by Scott Bro » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

On Sun, 10 May 1998 00:21:26 +0000, Yoni Bar-Lavie

>The magic is in the smb.conf file. once you successfully 'make install' the
>samba - all you have to do is:a) set /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services to the
>right properties (appears in the installation manual)

I didn't know it could run as an inetd service.  I just load smbd and
nmbd in rc.local and call it good...it seems to work okay so far.

Quote:>b) set /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf right. (copy the sample and edit it - it's
>easy)

Not as easy as I'd have liked, but it wasn't so bad.  For some reason,
I'm not able to take advantage of the automation supported by the
special 'homes' share.  The usernames on the Samba machine don't have
anything to do with the username on the client workstation, which
seems to throw a real monkey wrench into the works when you try to map
to your home directory via the 'homes' service.

My current solution is to just add a user-specific share to smb.conf
for each user.  A couple of hastily-written programs helps to automate
that process.

Quote:>c) put the freebsd's IP in the win95 machine's c:\windows\hosts and
>c:\windows\lmhosts files.
>c) kill -HUP <whatever inetd's pid>
>d) try to map the freebsd machine's disk (you might need to use \\<freebsd's
>IP>\<homedir> as the server's identification) the win95 machine is not likely to
>find the freebsd machine smoothly.

I didn't have a problem with machines on the same subnet finding the
server, but the workstations on other subnets were a problem.  The
solution turned out to be configuring those clients to use a WINS
server, then enabling Samba to fill that role and setting the proper
entry in /etc/lmhosts.  I still can't browse the Samba machine (no big
deal), but typing in the proper \\machine\share does the job nicely (I
can even do that from home, across a slow dialup and a half-dozen TCP
hops...it's dreadfully slow, but it works).

Entries in the client-side hosts and lmhosts files didn't seem to
affect anything.

-Scott

Samba for beginners?

Post by Pascal Gieng » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

>I still can't browse the Samba machine (no big
>deal), but typing in the proper \\machine\share does the job nicely

Server on the same subnet or not? If yes: Broadcast-Adress is correct?

Did you put a "browseable=yes" in your resources you want to be "seen" by
other hosts?

Pascal
--

http://pascal.znet.de/     Pascal Gienger         - is like a fish without

        http://echo.znet.de:8888/ echo \8888:ed.tenz.ohce\\:ptth

Samba for beginners?

Post by Scott Bro » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

>>I still can't browse the Samba machine (no big
>>deal), but typing in the proper \\machine\share does the job nicely

>Server on the same subnet or not? If yes: Broadcast-Adress is correct?

>Did you put a "browseable=yes" in your resources you want to be "seen" by
>other hosts?

My Samba host was browseable on the same subnet from the beginning.
But I've got three subnets, and I need all of my workstations to
present the same interface -- my users are beginners, and it's very
easy to confuse them.  I thought it best to just not mention the
browsing thing for now.

I *did* try adding a "remote announce" line to my global section, as
the docs indicated that this would make my machine browseable on other
subnets.  It didn't work, though.

-Scott

Samba for beginners?

Post by David O'Brie » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

> nmbd in rc.local and call it good...it seems to work okay so far.
>>b) set /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf right. (copy the sample and edit
>>it - it's easy)

Rather than do that, why not:

    cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
    cp samba.sh.sample samba.sh
    vi samba.sh     (edit approp.)
    reboot

(you can skip the ``reboot'' and do ``sh samba.sh'' instead)
(above also assumes you installed the precompiled package or built samba
from /usr/ports rather than by hand)

--

1. Samba for beginners?

Are there any beginner level tutorials for getting Samba up and
configured?  I've been tasked with setting things up so that the home
directories on our 2.2.5 FreeBSD box can be mapped as drives on our
win95 workstations.

I've messed with Samba a little bit, but I wasn't able to grasp the
fine points of getting it configured just so.  If anyone can point out
some good step-by-step instructional material, that would be really
great.

Thanks,
-Scott

2. Web Benchmarking

3. beginner asking about Samba and networking

4. Cannot read regular Data/Audio CD from DVD-ROM

5. Samba help page for beginners

6. Modem Problem

7. Can't link to Samba from Windows(beginner)

8. Who sells terminal servers?

9. Samba Help for Beginners

10. Beginners: Here's the beginners web info you've been looking for

11. Linux/Samba Machine & User Accounts for Samba PDC in samba-2.2.1a Question?

12. SAMBA, SAMBA, SAMBA