How do I use the X?

Post by Noam Meltze » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Well, I finally managed to install FreeBSD 3 (I'm a newbie, btw) and
then I tried to start the X.
When I started it with the command "X" I got a gray screen wih a mouse
pointer shaped as an 'X'.
When I started it with the command "startx" I managed to get a full
color screen with 3 windows on it, all of them actually got the command
prompt of the unix shell.
Once, I saw on Linux that there is a Start menu on the buttom of the
screen, I didn't see one on the screen, and I'm really stucked, what
should I do?
Please somebody help me to start using FreeBSD on the beginning.

Noam Meltzer

ICQ UIN: 4853872

How do I use the X?

Post by Tuyet Tram DANG NG » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Well, I finally managed to install FreeBSD 3 (I'm a newbie, btw) and
>then I tried to start the X.
>When I started it with the command "X" I got a gray screen wih a mouse
>pointer shaped as an 'X'.
>When I started it with the command "startx" I managed to get a full
>color screen with 3 windows on it, all of them actually got the command
>prompt of the unix shell.
>Once, I saw on Linux that there is a Start menu on the buttom of the
>screen, I didn't see one on the screen, and I'm really stucked, what
>should I do?
>Please somebody help me to start using FreeBSD on the beginning.

It seems that you make a confusion between 'X' and 'windows manager'

X is a window system  : it provides the graphical environment where
client windows appear in.

Windows manager are programs which use X and which provide functionnalities to
control the appearance of your windows shape, border...
and how the user can interacts with window.
Depending on the windows manager you have, you can have menus, buttons,
colored windows borderd and all that stuff.
Example of windows manager are ctwm, kde, afterstep, enlightenment...
(see on http://www.plig.org/xwinman/ to have a look on each one)

Using 'startx' the X server to initialize a X Window Sesssion
and then read the .xinitrc (where you often put a line launching your favorite
windows manager)

Tuyet Tram DANG NGOC
--

Laboratoire PRiSM -  Universite de Versailles-Saint-Quentin
http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~dntt

How do I use the X?

Post by Kyle Fin » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

What you are seeing is the X window default screen.  You need to install a
window manager like FVWM95 when you will have the Start menu.

X window system is like a traffic cop not something you see and hear.

Kyle

--
Check out Xi Graphics' performance marks:
http://www.xig.com/benchmarks/bmrk.index.html

Kyle Fink, Account Executive
Xi Graphics, Inc.   1801 Broadway Suite 1710, Denver, CO 80202 USA
Voice- Toll free:  1.800.946.7433, Worldwide:  +1.303.298.7478
Fax- +1.303.298.1406

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. ATAPI DMA timeouts showing up in logs

3. using nlist(), not nlist64(), in SunOS5.7_64-bit ... can it be done ???

4. TCP/IP Out-of-band artifact

5. Working from or using DOS drivers under Linux

6. Where to get Redhat 4.1 in Bay Area?

7. using btrieve requestor in linux dos box

8. LILO that does linux at /dev/hda and BEos at /dev/hdb

9. Using a 1.2M 5.25" floppy drive with AIX/PS2 and DOS Merge

10. Using the dos version of dd...

11. Req: Info on using Stacker on DOS drive

12. Using xfs186.zip to access linux from dos

13. How to mount a DOS hard disk that uses Dynamic Drive Overlay?