Installing 2.2.6 on Win 95 machine

Post by Bit Maestr » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

First I appologize for running this question through, as I'm sure it has
been run through before countless times, but your help is appreciated
greatly.

I have FreeBSD 2.2.6 on cd-roms.   I have a windows 95 based laptop,
that came with one 4 gig hd partitioned into two 2 gig hd's.  not a
problem, it runs the FAT16 filesystem the way it is.  the fdisk option
says I can change to support a larger hd (my 4 gig as a single drive)
but it will change to the FAT32 system.  I have no problems changing
this to emiliminate the windows partition.  This will allow me to use
the FIPS utility to repartition (in a linux style) my hd. installing
linux and keeping my windows 95 setup...is this possible... any warnings
or help or assistance anyone can offer me in this endevour would be
greatly appreciated...help me upgrade my microslop machine by adding a
secure OS. Thank you
John Barnthouse aka Bit Maestro

Post by Kenneth Furg » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I have FreeBSD 2.2.6 on cd-roms.   I have a windows 95 based laptop,
> that came with one 4 gig hd partitioned into two 2 gig hd's.  not a
> problem, it runs the FAT16 filesystem the way it is.  the fdisk option
> says I can change to support a larger hd (my 4 gig as a single drive)
> but it will change to the FAT32 system.  I have no problems changing
> this to emiliminate the windows partition.  This will allow me to use
> the FIPS utility to repartition (in a linux style) my hd. installing
> linux and keeping my windows 95 setup...is this possible... any warnings
> or help or assistance anyone can offer me in this endevour would be
> greatly appreciated...help me upgrade my microslop machine by adding a
> secure OS. Thank you

If your machine is already setup to use the drive in LBA mode, you could
simply delete your second dos partition and install FreeBSD into that
space.  The drive must be in LBA mode so that logically the entire drive
resides below the 1024th cylinder.  This makes any partition on the
drive bootable.  The usual warnings apply here: MAKE A BACKUP.  The last
time I used fips, it destroyed my drive.  The time before that, it
worked fine.  I now use Partition Magic when I fiddle with dos/fat32
partitions.

If your drive is not in LBA mode, and your BIOS cannot boot above the
1024th cylinder, you will have to do significant partition shuffling and
you should lay them out carefully, accounting for expected growth.

- K.C.

1. Network between Win 3.11/Win 95 machine and Linux machine

        The problem that I have is that I want to use internet stuff, and
other junk from my linux machine, but my modem is on the WIN 3.11 machine.
Currently I am running a network when both computers are w\running
workhgroups and this works well, but due placement of phone lines, I can't
get a connection to the room where the linux machine is. It is the superior
machine as well, so obviously this would be advantagious.
        Put shortly

        I want to link my linux computer to my windows 3.11 computer and
running use the internet.  And if possible the printer (HP 540).

Thanks in advance
Please mail responses to

Thanks

2. Panic on SMP

3. Win 95 machine - installing Linux?

4. Linux<-->Solaris NFS problem

5. Installing Linux on Win 95 machine

6. 2.5.40-ac3 compile error

7. Installing Linux on Win '95 machine?

8. setitimer call

9. Need Help Installing Linux on a Win 95 Machine

10. Installing Redware Linux on a Win '95 machine

11. Installing Linux on Win 95 machine

12. Co-installing Unix on Win '95 machine?