How to Configure modem??

Post by sam » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Can someone tell me how to configure my modem on my freebsd machine??

1)I have the following line in my list of my system devices:
unknown0:<cardinal MVP288I2> at port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5 on isa0

2)When I type dmesg|grep sio I get the following

sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff  irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0 type 16550
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on iso0
sio1 type 17550

thanks
sam

How to Configure modem??

Post by sam » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Can someone tell me how to configure my modem on my freebsd machine??

> 1)I have the following line in my list of my system devices:
> unknown0:<cardinal MVP288I2> at port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5 on isa0

> 2)When I type dmesg|grep sio I get the following

> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff  irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
> sio0 type 16550
> sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on iso0
> sio1 type 17550

> thanks
> sam

> --

How to Configure modem??

Post by Zeni » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

: Can someone tell me how to configure my modem on my freebsd machine??

        It depends.  Configure it to do what, exactly?

: 1)I have the following line in my list of my system devices:
: unknown0:<cardinal MVP288I2> at port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5 on isa0

        What is this?  What list of system devices are you speaking of?
        Is this from dmesg?

: 2)When I type dmesg|grep sio I get the following
: sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff  irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
: sio0 type 16550
: sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on iso0
: sio1 type 17550

        One or both of these are probably modem(s), "COM 1" and/or "COM 2"
        respectively.  So they are configured so far as the kernel cares.

        The next job involves knowing what you want to do with your modem,
        but I might suggest you'll probably want to run "man 8 ppp".

--

BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC
Berkeley or thereabouts.  Similar in many ways to the prescription-only

1. Need help configuring modem using SuSE

I have a Compaq Presario 1200XL-119.  I have a new
install of Suse 6.4 on it.  Naturally, it did not recognize
my modem or sound board.  They both appear to be PCI devices.

Output from an lspci command shows a Lucent 56k WinModem (rev01)
at IRQ 9, Memory at f4000000, I/O Ports at 1838 and at 1400.
(what kind of a port addr is 1838, anyway)

I've downloaded the lucent driver and tried to install it.  However,
when I try to install it with 'ltinst", it fails on the
"/sbin/insmod -v -f ltmodem" command, with the error message:
"insmod: ltmodem: no module by that name found"
However, the /dev/ttyS14 device node is there and the ltmodem.o
gets delivered to the correct directory.

The Lucent driver readme says to configure "minicom" after running
the driver install.  However, there is NO "minicom" on the machine.

So, I tried to use the gui modem setup. It checks for the presence of
a modem, etc and gives the following error message:
"neither modem or ISDN device found".

So, now, where do I go from here?   I'm certain the device
node is there and ok.  However, the driver module, the logical
device,  is unknown to the OS.
Any suggestions about how I can get this modem configured.

2. Source release of Amaya, W3C browser/editor

3. Configuring Modem

4. Difference between "su" and "su -" ?

5. how to configure modem,sound card in linux6.2

6. WindowMaker 0.18-1: "Could not find global configurations files"

7. configuring modem in linux

8. C++ Test Hung Linux...

9. Configuring modem and PPP

10. Help with configuring modem

11. configuring modems, IRQ problems...

12. HELP: configuring modem under Redhat 5.2

13. Configuring Modem In Red Hat Linux