Backspace & Delete

Post by Matthias Pron » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I've a question about the keyboard. When I want to delete a character behind
my cursor I can use backspace in the shell. But when I start X-Windows and
XTerm (I've already found that WTerm doesn't have this problem) I can't use
backspace and have to use delete. Why do I get strange char's on my screen
when I use this keys (also arrow up, left etc.)??? Is this a normal for UNIX
like OS'es or am I doing something wrong?

Thanx,
Matthias Pronk

Backspace & Delete

Post by pe.. » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

: I've a question about the keyboard. When I want to delete a character behind
: my cursor I can use backspace in the shell. But when I start X-Windows and
: XTerm (I've already found that WTerm doesn't have this problem) I can't use
: backspace and have to use delete. Why do I get strange char's on my screen
: when I use this keys (also arrow up, left etc.)??? Is this a normal for UNIX
: like OS'es or am I doing something wrong?

man stty

stty controls the way 'control characters' are interpreted. Some xterm combinations
needs some adjustment from default.

: Thanx,
: Matthias Pronk

Peter H?kanson   peter (at) manet (dot) nu

Backspace & Delete

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>I've a question about the keyboard. When I want to delete a character behind
>my cursor I can use backspace in the shell. But when I start X-Windows and
>XTerm (I've already found that WTerm doesn't have this problem) I can't use
>backspace and have to use delete. Why do I get strange char's on my screen
>when I use this keys (also arrow up, left etc.)??? Is this a normal for UNIX
>like OS'es or am I doing something wrong?

>Thanx,
>Matthias Pronk

If you use 'sh', you can do the following in your .shrc to have xterm,
rxvt and programs work more consistantly.  It also gives you command line
editing and cursor key history like Linux.  Or I think 'bash' operates
like this by default:

# Uncomment next line to enable the builtin emacs(1) command line editor
# in sh(1), e.g. C-a -> beginning-of-line.
set -o emacs

--

http://www.de-srv.com/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/
http://thunder.prohosting.com/~cv-elgin/

Backspace & Delete

Post by QuestionExchang » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

This is due to the way X maps keys.  You can fix this using
xmodmap.  Just put the following line in your .xinitrc file
in your home directory:
xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"
That should take care of everything.
FYI - WTerm probably does key mapping for you, as so many
other applications.  That's why WTerm worked as expected but
xterm didn't.
~Mike

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet3/qx.usenetGuest.showUsenetGue...

1. How to get BACKSPACE & DELETE working with Emacs 19.29 under X?

I recall having problems like this a while ago with Netscape.  Essentially, my Backspace and Delete keys
do the same thing (erase to the left and move the cursor).  I would like Backspace to function this way
but I would like Delete to delete to the right and NOT move the cursor.

How might I set things like this up under Emacs 19.29 under XFree 3.1.2?

The modifications I made a while ago for Netscape (which I haven't changed) are:

in .xinitrc:

xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"
xmodmap -e "keycode 107 = Delete"

and in .Xdefaults (to fix things for Xterm) ... used to make Backspace and Del work properly when
running Emacs 19.25 (without X) in an Xterm.

.XTerm.VT100.Translations: #override <Key>BackSpace: string(0x7F)\n\
<Key>Delete:    string(0x04)\n\
<Key>Home:      string(0x1b) string("{1~")\n\
<Key>End:       string(0x1b) string("[4~")

So I am at a bit of a loss and would really like some help.

Thanks,

Dave Topper

2. Can remote Xserv see display:0?

3. Backspace & Delete

4. linksys lne100tx

5. backspace & delete - how to make them work

6. No Graphic Descktop with Corel Linux!!

7. Backspace & delete problems

8. Boot still hangs at: Ok booing the kernel

9. backspace does delete not backspace

10. how to set backspace as backspace, not delete?

11. Delete & Backspace key identical. What gives?

12. DELETE & BACKSPACE

13. delete & backspace