Netscape Plug-ins under Freebsd ??

Post by RRrp Tore » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Folks;
  I am looking at writing a Netscape Plug-in. I have the Netscape
"PluginSDK30b5" from their website. There is no FreeBSD makefile, but
the Linux one runs to completion; creating npsimple.so.
Unfortunately, Netscape 4.04 crashes when I put this in the plugins
directory and ask about loaded plugins.

I notice that the linux binary version specifically calls out ELF
format. Is the problem the lack of the object format? What is the
situation concerning plugins on FreeBSD?

Rip Toren

Post by chris/rema » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Folks;
>   I am looking at writing a Netscape Plug-in. I have the Netscape
> "PluginSDK30b5" from their website. There is no FreeBSD makefile, but
> the Linux one runs to completion; creating npsimple.so.
> Unfortunately, Netscape 4.04 crashes when I put this in the plugins
> directory and ask about loaded plugins.

> I notice that the linux binary version specifically calls out ELF
> format. Is the problem the lack of the object format? What is the
> situation concerning plugins on FreeBSD?

What version of FreeBSD, was it 2.2.* or 3.0, 3.0 uses ELF, 2.2.* uses
a.out, try adjusting the Makefiles so the output is a.out...

HTH

regards, chris

--
Christopher Day

Homepage http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/1218

when the rain/when the children reign/keep your conscience in the dark
melt the statues in the park - Fall On Me, REM

Post by RRrp Tore » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > Folks;
> >   I am looking at writing a Netscape Plug-in. I have the Netscape
> > "PluginSDK30b5" from their website. There is no FreeBSD makefile, but
> > the Linux one runs to completion; creating npsimple.so.
> > Unfortunately, Netscape 4.04 crashes when I put this in the plugins
> > directory and ask about loaded plugins.

> > I notice that the linux binary version specifically calls out ELF
> > format. Is the problem the lack of the object format? What is the
> > situation concerning plugins on FreeBSD?

> What version of FreeBSD, was it 2.2.* or 3.0, 3.0 uses ELF, 2.2.* uses
> a.out, try adjusting the Makefiles so the output is a.out...

In this case the Linux makefile has ELF in the makefile name, so I
assume it is producing an ELF share library. I am using 2.2.7 which
would be the a.out.  Maybe I have to wait for 3.0 .....

> HTH

> regards, chris

> --
> Christopher Day

> Homepage http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/1218

> when the rain/when the children reign/keep your conscience in the dark
> melt the statues in the park - Fall On Me, REM

1. Netscape plug-ins on AIX 4

Does anyone know if Netscape supports plug-ins on AIX?  I've a feeling
last time I asked the question they didn't and now they might.

RSVP if you are in the know,

alan
 Alan Donovan, FORE Audio & Video, 14 Regent Street, Cambridge CB2 1DB

2. 3 questions to 3.4: Compaq Smart Array, Mylex Controller, SMP

3. plug-ins netscape

4. Apache/chmod problem

5. Netscape helpers and plug-ins, also java help

6. Utility to aid Unix/Xenix/DOS file copying

7. List of plug-ins for linux/netscape please!

8. Suspect Attachment

9. Netscape and Plug-ins

10. Netscape plug-ins

11. Acrobat Reader 4.0 MIME Type for Netscape plug-ins

12. netscape plug-ins

13. Netscape plug-ins, helper files, Acrobat etc.