Gateway machine can't ping others on LAN

Gateway machine can't ping others on LAN

Post by Jim Week » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I have one freebsd box setup as gateway.  I have this machine designated as
198.168.0.10.  Originally I had the default route on this machine set to
itself at 198.168.0.10.  This worked fine for DNS resolution on the local
network, but didn't seem to work when connected to the net through PPP.  I
changed the default to 0.0.0.0 which seemed to solve the problem.  The
machine connects and forwards packets for the other machines.  Now there is
no problem pinging any machine on the web by name, however when trying to
ping one of the other machines on the LAN there is no name resolution.  Any
ideas as to why this is?  The other machines are able to resolve names on
the LAN, or web.

           Jim Weeks

http://www.siteplus.com

Gateway machine can't ping others on LAN

Post by Liam D. Redmon » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

 I am assuming the other machines are Windows boxes, they use Netbios to
 resolve names and hence can see each other. FreeBSD does not by default
 use Netbios name resolution so how is it expected to gain these names for
 other nodes on the network. I have a similar setup and have a /etc/hosts
file
 detailing IP addresses, Hosts names and aliases for each node on the
network.
 I also use Samba which gives the FreeBSD box a Netbios capability.

Hope this helps.

Liam D. Redmond.

>Hi,

>I have one freebsd box setup as gateway.  I have this machine designated as
>198.168.0.10.  Originally I had the default route on this machine set to
>itself at 198.168.0.10.  This worked fine for DNS resolution on the local
>network, but didn't seem to work when connected to the net through PPP.  I
>changed the default to 0.0.0.0 which seemed to solve the problem.  The
>machine connects and forwards packets for the other machines.  Now there is
>no problem pinging any machine on the web by name, however when trying to
>ping one of the other machines on the LAN there is no name resolution.  Any
>ideas as to why this is?  The other machines are able to resolve names on
>the LAN, or web.

>Thanks,
>--
>           Jim Weeks

>http://www.siteplus.com

Gateway machine can't ping others on LAN

Post by Jim Week » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi again,

I see where you are coming from, but I do have a complete hosts file on the
FreeBSD box.  It would seem to me that the gateway machine is only resolving
names through the internet and not seeing its own hosts file.  This is what
has me confused.

Thanks,

           Jim Weeks

http://www.siteplus.com

>Hello,

> I am assuming the other machines are Windows boxes, they use Netbios to
> resolve names and hence can see each other. FreeBSD does not by default
> use Netbios name resolution so how is it expected to gain these names for
> other nodes on the network. I have a similar setup and have a /etc/hosts
>file
> detailing IP addresses, Hosts names and aliases for each node on the
>network.
> I also use Samba which gives the FreeBSD box a Netbios capability.

>Hope this helps.

>Liam D. Redmond.

>>Hi,

>>I have one freebsd box setup as gateway.  I have this machine designated
as
>>198.168.0.10.  Originally I had the default route on this machine set to
>>itself at 198.168.0.10.  This worked fine for DNS resolution on the local
>>network, but didn't seem to work when connected to the net through PPP.  I
>>changed the default to 0.0.0.0 which seemed to solve the problem.  The
>>machine connects and forwards packets for the other machines.  Now there
is
>>no problem pinging any machine on the web by name, however when trying to
>>ping one of the other machines on the LAN there is no name resolution.
Any
>>ideas as to why this is?  The other machines are able to resolve names on
>>the LAN, or web.

>>Thanks,
>>--
>>           Jim Weeks

>>http://www.siteplus.com

Gateway machine can't ping others on LAN

Post by Arve Ronnin » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

You _did_ place hosts _before_ bind in /etc/resolv.conf
I presume ??

  -Arve

Post by Thomas Russ » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > I see where you are coming from, but I do have a complete hosts file on the
> > FreeBSD box.  It would seem to me that the gateway machine is only resolving
> > names through the internet and not seeing its own hosts file.  This is what
> > has me confused.

> I can only partially help.  I believe there is an entry you can make in
> /etc/resolv.conf that specifies the order DNS should take; to look at the

This is done in /etc/hosts.conf

--
Tom Russo QRPL1592 RHFHGSA FCATB ISObabe KC5ZYC http://www.swcp.com/~russo/
"In America any boy can become President, and I guess it's just one of the

1. D-link DE220 can PING his own IP, but can't PING others'

I installed a linux (kernel 2.2.5-1) with a DE220 ISA NIC (of cause PnP).
When I finished the network configuration(IP 192.9.200.133)and connect it
to the LAN I'm using, I find I can only PING 192.9.200.133. When I PING
other IPs such as 192.9.200.1(It does work well or say "alive"), the
result is "request time out". I check /etc/conf.modules, alias is right:
"alias eth0 ne; option ne io 0x240 irq 10". I also
check /etc/sysconfig/network, is normally show: "networking=yes... IPv4
forward = no...". All the things seems good, but I still can't ping
anyother IP address in my LAN. What's the problem? Can you help me?

2. bootpd and dhcpd

3. Can I prevent pinging from others and still ping others?

4. Setting RTS on serial line

5. Unable to 'ping' machines outside internal LAN

6. Where can I find stddef.h? for xcd compilation?

7. Can't ping local host but can ping others

8. Installation question?

9. Can ping linux itself, but can't ping others

10. LAN with DHCP in a Linksys router, can't ping local machines

11. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

12. Can't ping my Gateway (but I can ping my own IP address)

13. Help - can't ping one of my machines (but it can ping me).