Any way to install 5.0 from ISO?

Post by Peter W » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:28:22

Greetings,

I downloaded the 5.0 ISO to my laptop's FAT32 partition would like to
install it. I have 4.7 system on my laptop and want to know whether I can
run the 5.0 install program from inside 4.7. I want to re-format the
FreeBSD slice as UFS2. Is there any means to install 5.0 without burning a
CDROM or booting from floppy disk? Thx.

--
Cheers, Peter

Post by Bliste » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:59:01

> Greetings,

> I downloaded the 5.0 ISO to my laptop's FAT32 partition would like to
> install it. I have 4.7 system on my laptop and want to know whether I
> can run the 5.0 install program from inside 4.7. I want to re-format the
> FreeBSD slice as UFS2. Is there any means to install 5.0 without burning
> a CDROM or booting from floppy disk? Thx.

> --
> Cheers, Peter

I don't know whether your kernel has loopback support but you can normally
mount an ISO image using the loopback option (incidentally, this is great
for playing games that require the CD in the drive.  For some CD's, you'll
need a CD ROM drive that reads in RAW mode to make perfect ISO's).

At that point, you should be able to invoke the sysinstall binary located
on the CD and install over your base system.  (You should make sure you
back up your /etc, /home, and other directories that you may want saved).
The sysinstall may try to install to some special root directory like
/mnt.  In this case you have two options: you can just let it do that and
copy the contents of /mnt to / or you can find the actual script that
extracts the base, crypto, share, and all the other settings and run them
to extract to /.

Next I recommend doing a find by date and examine all files older than the
day you did the install and make sure you want all the files.  I also
recommend either backing up your /dev drive or your MAKEDEV script/binary.
 I did something very similar to this and I ended up with a system without
the contents of /dev or MAKEDEV.  I ended up launching the rescue CD and
copying the /dev to my system /dev.

I'm sure there are tons of different ways of doing this.  This was just my
quick and dirty thoughts on it (Deep thoughts by Blistex).

Post by Peter W » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:15:48

>> I downloaded the 5.0 ISO to my laptop's FAT32 partition would like to
>> install it. I have 4.7 system on my laptop and want to know whether I
>> can run the 5.0 install program from inside 4.7. I want to re-format
>> the FreeBSD slice as UFS2. Is there any means to install 5.0 without
>> burning a CDROM or booting from floppy disk? Thx.

> I don't know whether your kernel has loopback support but you can
> normally mount an ISO image using the loopback option (incidentally,
> this is great for playing games that require the CD in the drive.  For
> some CD's, you'll need a CD ROM drive that reads in RAW mode to make
> perfect ISO's).

I can use the following commands to mount that ISO.

# vnconfig /dev/vn0c ./image.iso
# mount -t cd9660 /dev/vn0c /cdrom

Quote:> At that point, you should be able to invoke the sysinstall binary
> located on the CD and install over your base system.

I don't find the sysinstall on the CDROM ISO but do find /base/install.sh,
which attempts to pour the base system to the root /.

Quote:> Next I recommend doing a find by date and examine all files older than
> the day you did the install and make sure you want all the files.  I
> also recommend either backing up your /dev drive or your MAKEDEV
>  script/binary. I did something very similar to this and I ended up
> with a system without the contents of /dev or MAKEDEV.  I ended up
> launching the rescue CD and copying the /dev to my system /dev.

I am doing a test in VMWare before carrying out the *real* upgrade on my
laptop. :P

- Install a minimal 4.7 system
- Mount the ISO as /cdrom
- Run the /cdrom/base/install.sh and got an updated root /
- Reboot the system (it now tells me that it's 5.0 :D)
- Run sysinstall again
- Follow the standard way to re-partition and re-format my hard disk with
UFS2.

This seems to be working in VMWare.

Are there any *bad* aspects or effects that it may bring to my system? I'm
just playing around FreeBSD now and have backed up all my .rc and /etc
files to my FAT32 partition before this surgeory. :)

Quote:> I'm sure there are tons of different ways of doing this.  This was just
> my quick and dirty thoughts on it (Deep thoughts by Blistex).

My biggest concern on my approach above is whether it may leave some old
files on the disk. Please note I both selected Minimal during install.
Thanks!

--
Cheers, Peter

Post by Peter W » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:53:22

> - Install a minimal 4.7 system
> - Mount the ISO as /cdrom
> - Run the /cdrom/base/install.sh and got an updated root /
> - Reboot the system (it now tells me that it's 5.0 :D)
> - Run sysinstall again
> - Follow the standard way to re-partition and re-format my hard disk
> with UFS2.

> This seems to be working in VMWare.

OK. I find a problem that I cannot convert the UFS1 to UFS2 by using the
above approach although my system has been upgraded to 5.0.

Is there anyway to upgrade the UFS1 to UFS2?

I can newfs the /tmp but cannot do to others. Any ideas?

--
Cheers, Peter

Post by Kris Kennawa » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 04:00:02

> OK. I find a problem that I cannot convert the UFS1 to UFS2 by using the
> above approach although my system has been upgraded to 5.0.

> Is there anyway to upgrade the UFS1 to UFS2?

> I can newfs the /tmp but cannot do to others. Any ideas?

You can't newfs mounted filesystems, so you will need to boot from
other media to newfs /.

Kris (s/kkenn/kris/, s/rot13\.//)

Post by bsdbeas » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:31:41

>>> I downloaded the 5.0 ISO to my laptop's FAT32 partition would like to
>>> install it. I have 4.7 system on my laptop and want to know whether I
>>> can run the 5.0 install program from inside 4.7. I want to re-format
>>> the FreeBSD slice as UFS2. Is there any means to install 5.0 without
>>> burning a CDROM or booting from floppy disk? Thx.

>> I don't know whether your kernel has loopback support but you can
>> normally mount an ISO image using the loopback option (incidentally,
>> this is great for playing games that require the CD in the drive.  For
>> some CD's, you'll need a CD ROM drive that reads in RAW mode to make
>> perfect ISO's).

> I can use the following commands to mount that ISO.

> # vnconfig /dev/vn0c ./image.iso
> # mount -t cd9660 /dev/vn0c /cdrom
>> At that point, you should be able to invoke the sysinstall binary
>> located on the CD and install over your base system.

> I don't find the sysinstall on the CDROM ISO but do find /base/install.sh,
> which attempts to pour the base system to the root /.

>> Next I recommend doing a find by date and examine all files older than
>> the day you did the install and make sure you want all the files.  I
>> also recommend either backing up your /dev drive or your MAKEDEV
>>  script/binary. I did something very similar to this and I ended up
>> with a system without the contents of /dev or MAKEDEV.  I ended up
>> launching the rescue CD and copying the /dev to my system /dev.

> I am doing a test in VMWare before carrying out the *real* upgrade on my
> laptop. :P

> - Install a minimal 4.7 system
> - Mount the ISO as /cdrom
> - Run the /cdrom/base/install.sh and got an updated root /
> - Reboot the system (it now tells me that it's 5.0 :D)
> - Run sysinstall again
> - Follow the standard way to re-partition and re-format my hard disk with
> UFS2.

> This seems to be working in VMWare.

> Are there any *bad* aspects or effects that it may bring to my system? I'm
> just playing around FreeBSD now and have backed up all my .rc and /etc
> files to my FAT32 partition before this surgeory. :)

>> I'm sure there are tons of different ways of doing this.  This was just
>> my quick and dirty thoughts on it (Deep thoughts by Blistex).

> My biggest concern on my approach above is whether it may leave some old
> files on the disk. Please note I both selected Minimal during install.
> Thanks!

> --
> Cheers, Peter

As you have VMware, you can actually mount the real partitions and do the
installation from within VMware. However, I do recomend that you whipe the
partitions (except /home) and do a fresh install, there is always problems
going from and X.Y to an X+n.Y+m version, which is almost never the case
with a simple transition to X.Y+n.

/bsdbeast

1. ISO ISO ISO ISO HELP

I checked Redhat's installation site and they don't give the correct
directory on their FTP site to get the ISO image.  Which image should I
get for a bootable image?    There is a zoot-i386.iso and there is also
a redhat-6.2-i386.iso -- what does each contain????

It is a big download either way, even on a fast connection.  Any help
would be appreciated.

--
Dave Burns

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. checking if a MAC address exist in a LAN and which is the attached IP address

3. Am I missing something with the 5.0 ISO images?

4. LinuxPPC 2000 Color problems on 6400

5. FreeBSD 5.0, 4.8 iso images

6. how do you read from serial port attached to modem

7. ISO image of the just released LinuxPPC 5.0 CD??

8. Where to place static route entries ??

9. Redhat 5.0 ISO..

10. Redhat 5.0 Image (ISO)

11. RedHat 5 install crashes many ways

12. iso image for 5.0?