XFree86 & XFree86 Beta Question

Post by Dominic W. Ch » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

The versioin of Xfree86 that come on the cd-rom I bought from Walnut
Creek is 3.1.2 (not sure which release) doesn't support #9 Imagine
Series ii, however, the latest version 3.1.2g beta do.  My question is
this

1) do i have to d/l all of the bin file in 3.1.2.g directory or do
just need a few

2) let say i download it the file, where do i put it before i
extracted it??

3) which is the best or most useful win manager for X-windows

4) how do you config what start-up when you first start X (i.e., in my
it start 2 x-term and X-login)

5) what are some of X-utilities I should install for X-windows

Thank you for the help
Two Question

XFree86 & XFree86 Beta Question

Post by Brian Some » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> 3) which is the best or most useful win manager for X-windows

My favourite is fvwm.

Quote:> 4) how do you config what start-up when you first start X (i.e., in my
> it start 2 x-term and X-login)

In .fvwmrc in your home directory.

Quote:> 5) what are some of X-utilities I should install for X-windows

Depends on your needs.

XFree86 & XFree86 Beta Question

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> 1) do i have to d/l all of the bin file in 3.1.2.g directory or do
> just need a few

You only need one or a few of the X servers, those that fit for your
video hardware.

You don't need everything else, depending on your needs.  Ain't there
a README file somewhere?

Quote:> 2) let say i download it the file, where do i put it before i
> extracted it??

Wherever you've got the space.  My favorite is /tmp, but my /tmp is
large enough to hold everything i want.

--
cheers, J"org

Post by Mark Tingue » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>1) do i have to d/l all of the bin file in 3.1.2.g directory or do
>just need a few

 many of the files in the distribution are X servers for various video
 card and you do not need them. you will need the libraries, fonts, binaries,
 and some files are optional. read the RELNOTES file to determine which files
 you will want/need.

Quote:>2) let say i download it the file, where do i put it before i
>extracted it??

anywhere you have the space. you can then extract (as root) the files using
the command:

# tar zxvf 312Gxxxx.tgz -C /usr/X11R6

where xxxx is the name of one of the files you want to extract. Be sure to
make a link from your server to /usr/X11R6/bin/X

Quote:>3) which is the best or most useful win manager for X-windows

this is a personal perference issue. many people like fvwm.

Quote:>4) how do you config what start-up when you first start X (i.e., in my
>it start 2 x-term and X-login)

if you are running xinit, or startx, then ~/.xinitrc holds your startup
commands. If you choose to run xdm, then ~/.xsessions holds startup
commands, be sure ~/.xsessions is executable.

Quote:>5) what are some of X-utilities I should install for X-windows

look at the descriptions of the commands and install whatever sounds
interesting.

1. XFree86 4.0 -> XFree86 4.1 keyboard problem & solution

As I upgraded XF86 4.0.3, FBSD 4.3 to XG864.1, FBSD 4.4, I've lost my
accent keys under X (my keyboard layout is fr). Apparently, there was a
mismatch between the /etc/X11/xkb directory and the the
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb dir.
As a work around, I removed the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb, and copied
/etc/X11/xkb instead and it works.

Any idea why such a mismatch ?

Pierre

Supaero/Ecole Nat. Sup. de l'Aeronautique et de l'Espace
French National Aerospace School

2. Slak3.0 on CD - where?

3. A few questions on patches & XFree86 4.0

4. Konqueror 2.1.1 on Argos web site

5. Diamond Speedstar A50 ok XFree86 3.3.3.1, NG XFree86 3.3.5

6. Problem with devfsd in 2.5.59-mm10

7. Xfree86 3.2A SVGA Server on Xfree86 3.2

8. What are the ISDN modem/TA options under Linux 2.0 ??

9. Can I use XFree86 3.1 Mach64 SVGA server in XFree86 2.1?

10. xfree86 3.2a(beta) and rageII better but broke

11. XFree86.3.1.1->XFree86.3.1.2?

12. Where is XFree86 3.1.2D Beta??