FreeBSD 4.7 Stable and nforce chipset

Post by Steve » Mon, 23 Dec 2002 23:01:36

Hi,

I've recent bought an Asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard. This is based on
the Nvidia nforce chipset.

I have two issues.
1) The system failed to access the IDE hard drives properly in DMA
mode. It timed out accessing the first drive at bootup then tried to
reset and hung. I was able to bypass this problem by forcing PIO mode
(hw_ata.ata_dma=0 in loader.conf).

** What is strange is that the kernel.GENERIC - which is a now ancient
4.4 build, works OK. ***

I notice in the supported disk controller page at
http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/ia64/x20.html
that the nforce ATA 100 controller is supported but no mention of ATA
133. The first harddrive is ATA 133 capable, as of course is the IDE
controller.

Are there some other settings, tricks etc. I could use to try to get
these drives to work in DMA mode in FreeBSD 4.7?

2) This motherboard comes with two embedded ethernet controllers. One
is an Nvidia (presumably no driver for this yet), but the other is a
3com 3c90x, for which there *is* an "if_xl" driver already present.
However, neither device is recognised at startup - no mention in
dmesg, and no interface appears in sysinstall->configure->network

Anyone have some tips at how to get Freebsd to recognise the 3com
interface, at least?

MTIA.