kernel configuration question

Post by Martin Nova » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

hello,

I have a question about the proper entry for ne2000 pci cards in my
kernel file.
First I thought the "pseudo-device ether" would be enough for pci
ethernet cards, but they didn't work.
Then I added "device ed0 at isa? ......" and the cards started to work,
but i got a message saying something like "ed0 not found". Well this is
right, because there is no such device (the pci cards are probed as ed1
and ed2).
Then I changed the line into "device ed0" and the cards work and the
line "ed0 not found" disappeared, too.
Now my question is, whether this is the proper approach. I know I should
be happy that everything is working properly :) , but I'm still curious
whether my way is the right one.

Thanks for any suggestions, and bye
martin Novak

1. Yet another Kernel configuration question re: Redhat 5.1 . . .

I finally was able to make my way through what seemed to be a successfull
Unpacking, Compiling, and install.  However, when my system boots, it still
displays version 2.0.27 (Redhat 4.1) instead of what should be there,
2.0.34.   I thought maybe the rc.local file was wrong but of course it's
using uname -r to get the release version.  So 'aparently', all my efforts
to install the correct kernel have been for naught.  I would apreciate if
someone could take a look at the steps I've made and tell me if they can see
anything glaringly wrong.

1.    Obtained the new kernel from sunsite/unc   (linux-2.0.34.tar.gz)
2.    mv linux-2.0.34.tar.gz /usr/src
3.    mv /usr/src/linux /usr/src/linux.old
4.    tar zxvpf linux-2.0.34.tar.gz
5.    cd /usr/src/linux
6.    make mrproper
7.    make menuconfig
8.    make dep ; make clean
9.    make zImage
10.  mv /boot/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz.old
11.  cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /boot/vmlinuz
12.  make modules
13.  /etc/lilo.conf
14.  /sbin/lilo

Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

2. How to install Afterstep Control Panel?

3. kernel configuration question

4. ATA standards

5. Kernel configuration questions

6. Help needed....

7. Kernel configuration question

8. Network problem

9. Interesting kernel configuration question

10. Help texts for Kernel configuration (was: Kernel configuration utility)

11. Kernel configuration in kernel, kernel 2.4.20

12. Kernel configuration in kernel, kernel 2.5.53

13. Question about serial multiport configuration and kernel 2.2.x.