Printer Help Needed

Post by Christopher W. Aik » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have a Epson Stylus 740 printer.  In the past, on my Linux
systems I had this printer up and running w/o any problems.

So....

In FreeBSD I installed ghostscript-5.5 and apsfilter.  I ran
apsfilter and set up my printer just as I did with SuSE 6.2.

As root I did a "lptest > /dev/lpt0" and several test pages
printed out.  So far so good.

I started the "lpd" daemon and I got the following error:

"No line printer device or hostname"

I did a "lpr .profile" and nothing printed, so I did a "lpq".
I saw the printq but I got the error:

"Warning no daemon present"

A "ps -ax" shows that "lpd" is still running.

I added "localhost" to the /etc/hosts.equiv and /etc/hosts.lpd
files, killed the "lpd" process, restarted "lpd" and I get the
same errors.

Any clues what I did wrong or what I'm missing? I would assume
from the errors that my print problem is with my system configuration
and not my apsfilter setup.

---
Christopher W. Aiken
www.cwaiken.com

FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE

--
---
Christopher W. Aiken

FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE

Printer Help Needed

Post by Bill Mora » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

[posted & mailed]

> Any clues what I did wrong or what I'm missing? I would assume
> from the errors that my print problem is with my system configuration
> and not my apsfilter setup.

Did you set up /etc/printcap?
`man printcap' for more info

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?

Printer Help Needed

Post by Christopher W. Aik » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

->[posted & mailed]
->
->> Any clues what I did wrong or what I'm missing? I would assume
->> from the errors that my print problem is with my system configuration
->> and not my apsfilter setup.
->
->Did you set up /etc/printcap?
->`man printcap' for more info

The apsfilter program setup the proper directories and printcap files.
However after studying the printcap file I discovered that the "lp"
line looked like:   ":lp=:\"   !!!

I changed ti to look like:   ":lp=/dev/lpt0:\"   then restarted lpd
and now all is well in printer land.

---
Christopher W. Aiken
www.cwaiken.com