Need HELP to Log User Log-ins form the internet

Need HELP to Log User Log-ins form the internet

Post by Seria » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I've setup a FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE box to connect a network to the internet
with natd and ipfw firewall.
I've also setup the FreeBSD box to let teleworkers log in with FTP and
telnet.

Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who connect
to the machine from the internet.
I woul like to see the time and IP numer from which users Log-in.

I have looked at the /var/log/messages file but this only shows SU Login's.

All help is greatly appriciated!

Luke

Need HELP to Log User Log-ins form the internet

Post by Benoit BERTRAN » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who
connect
> to the machine from the internet.

I if this is what you are asking for, but it might hell, perhaps:

if you look at the man of ftpd:

     -S      With this option set, ftpd logs all anonymous transfers to the
             file /var/log/ftpd when this file exists.

at least, you could log anonymous...

Need HELP to Log User Log-ins form the internet

Post by Seria » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> > Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who
> connect
> > to the machine from the internet.

> I if this is what you are asking for, but it might hell, perhaps:

> if you look at the man of ftpd:

>      -S      With this option set, ftpd logs all anonymous transfers to
the
>      file /var/log/ftpd when this file exists.

> at least, you could log anonymous...

Thanks Benoit,

But I really would like to logg ALL FTP and TELNET sessions (also failed
log-ins etc...)

Luke

Post by Doug Hard » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who connect
> to the machine from the internet.
> I woul like to see the time and IP numer from which users Log-in.

ftpd will log in /var/messages/ftp.log if you create it.  Touch it and it
should start logging.  You may want to check /etc/inetd.conf to be sure
that -l is in the arguments for ftpd.  I believe the default is -ll which
provides additional logging.

telnetd logs in the wtmp file structure.  Not really readable directly,
but use the last command to access that information.  It logs just like a
directly connected user.

Post by Seria » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 11:30:32

> > Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who
connect
> > to the machine from the internet.
> > I woul like to see the time and IP numer from which users Log-in.

> ftpd will log in /var/messages/ftp.log if you create it.  Touch it and it
> should start logging.  You may want to check /etc/inetd.conf to be sure
> that -l is in the arguments for ftpd.  I believe the default is -ll which
> provides additional logging.

> telnetd logs in the wtmp file structure.  Not really readable directly,
> but use the last command to access that information.  It logs just like a
> directly connected user.

Thanks a lot mate!

Luke

1. Check your ppp.log or ppp.tun0.log in /var/log

Hi,

I was having a look through my FreeBSD 2.2.2 system last night after
compiling myself a new kernel, so was feeling pretty chuffed about it
(being my first FreeBSD kernel) when I noticed that the directory and
contents of /var/log/ were world-readable.

While it's pretty understandable that some log files have world
attributes it seems INSANE that ppp.log (or, in my case, ppp.tun0.log)
be world-readable. After a quick cat of the file I found, for all to
see, plain text copies of my ISP password visible.

I suppose it's prudent to run around clamping all these files down, but
it strikes me as odd that they'd default to world-readable.

Well, it's probably not a major discovery, but I'd thought I'd bring it
to your attention anyway.

Cya,

--
Matt Bruce

NB: Remove X's to email me (anti-spam)

2. How to set time zone in SunOS 4.1

3. ipppd logs in /var/log/ipppd-auth.log ??

4. Paging space not seen

5. logging - "secure" logs don't tell me who is logging in?

6. Simple jail management program now available

7. How can I get ipppd to log in /var/log/ipppd-auth.log ????

9. User logging (WAS: Is it possible to log original IP addresses?)

10. How to log user as they log in

11. Apache- Multiple logs (log for each user Q:How do I?)

12. How to log user access info in access.log

13. Q-> logging user names as they log in